Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That's so funny, in a sad way, because when I tried that service, I never believed any man who put that as his income. It always seemed like b.s. and an artificial lure.

Well, I guess artificial lures attract artificial people.
Excellent post/response!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:35 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I'm on Match.com and I leave my income blank. I do notice a few women who state that they're looking for men with high incomes but for the most part they state in their profile that they just want someone who's financially secure, in other words employed or has a steady source of income. I really can't blame them for stating that requirement because just as there are women who are looking for men with money there's also men who are just scraping by and hoping to get hooked up with a woman with a good job so he can sponge off of her. It works both ways.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:48 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Whenever I point out the fact that women are far more interested in marriage because it is such a good deal for them, I get the predictable responses about all these friends of theirs who are unmarried. All that says is that they haven't been able to find a man with money yet who meets their standards. Such men are getting rarer and for many, it will likely never be possible, especially for women who cannot attract the majority of such men.

Now days, it is only the high school girls who still think that a good looking neer do well will make good marriage material and make marriage a good deal. The rest want a guaranteed fall back position.

Last edited by NotARedneck; 04-04-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
The only advice I can give men who feel women are 'all about money' is to stop and take a look at the women they find attractive and 'decent' looking. There are plenty of regular, normal ladies who may not be a "10" by society's standard but would a 10 as a wife or girlfriend but you need to give them a second look. If that means getting off artificial dating sites and seeking out people in real life, then maybe you should try that. Sounds like 'everyone' lies online.
This is true. Men should listen to this piece of advice.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
This topic has been beaten to death and the question itself is absurd. "Are women all about money?". No. And the reasons vary in the cases where money is a concern.

It seems pretty shallow to me, aside from being a gold-digger, that some people think considering income is a sin. It is a sad state of affairs when doing so becomes the equivalent to gold-digging. Thankfully, there are men out there who actually respect that a woman doesn't want to live under a bridge, no matter how much in love she may become. Anyone who walks into a marriage without considering how they are going to live is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
The woman I married 17 years ago never did ask me how much money I made. But her mother asked all kinds of questions about my income. Our bank accounts are separate to this day and I don't know how much money in in her account, nor does she know how much is in mine. I wouldn't consider marrying a woman who asked about your income while you were dating.
Quote:
I didn't say her name isn't on all three of my checking accounts, and vice versa. She knows which two banks I have accounts in, and I know which bank she has an account in. Might sound to you like a business arrangement, but we never, ever have any problems because of our finances.
Her name is on your account and vice versa, so it would stand to reason that you each know where the other banks. But, you both are on the accounts, and they are separate accounts and neither of know what's in the other? Are you saying that you guys agreed to this when you got married? I'm just trying to make sense of this. Something sounds off here.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:01 AM

57 posts, read 168,084 times
To me being financially stable means having good credit and being fiscally mature no matter how much money you make. I am happy with a guy making 35,000 a year with little debt and frugal spending habits where major purchases are saved for and goals are set for long term. Money is not everything.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,217 times
If you were looking at girls that are beautiful by today's standards (i.e. breast implants, nose jobs, lypo, etc..), unless you're gorgeous, then yeah...they're usually after money. However, if you try to talk to your average every day girl, then you will most likely have different results. It is what it is.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 AM

57 posts, read 168,084 times
Quote:
I didn't say her name isn't on all three of my checking accounts, and vice versa. She knows which two banks I have accounts in, and I know which bank she has an account in. Might sound to you like a business arrangement, but we never, ever have any problems because of our finances. This is my second marriage, I'm not making the same mistake twice. My first wife never worked and after twenty years (and three of her affairs later) she filed for divorce. She took me for almost everything I had, including my business. With her, it was all about money, and all about controlling everything I did. I never thought I would get re-married, but a very special lady convinced me I could be happy with her in my life. She was right!
I see where you are coming from, getting married again was probably a big step for you and your wife made sure to let you know it was about you and not your money.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:05 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,192,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Thankfully, there are men out there who actually respect that a woman doesn't want to live under a bridge, no matter how much in love she may become. Anyone who walks into a marriage without considering how they are going to live is a fool.
Those are extremes though. Most men just want a woman who takes care of herself and doesn't need to be supported. Who wants to support a grown woman who sits on her arse all day? The OP makes 63k, but the moment he changed it to 150k he got bombarded with messages and his Inbox was blown up.

If a woman asked me about my income whilst I barely know her only being out together once or twice, that is a HUGE red flag. I'd ditch her immediately.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
I always made more money than the men I've dated and so do a lot of women. So, to answer your original question the answer is NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships