Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,423,099 times

Advertisements

Set you up on a date or tried to set you up with someone?

If so did how did it work out?

Its happened to me a few times over the years, only once would I say it was a success. The most recent one was this weekend just gone.
It was funny I was in a group of mostly guys, when she arrived (I had no Idea), she Ignored the rest of the guys I was with pretty much and made a special effort of introducing herself to me.
Anyway nothing came of it (yet anyway), it was too staged and scripted and abit awkward lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,940 times
I've been on those several times in the past several years and of all these times only twice did I continue to date the women involved. One became a girlfriend and while it didn't break up all that well, she was still an overall affectionate, fun, and sweet girl and I have mostly good memories of her. The other was a difficult woman with baggage, which was too bad, because she was very outgoing and sweet and incredibly good-looking. I had to let her go.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 AM

550 posts, read 1,214,581 times
Sort of once but no it went nowhere... but then again my track record ain't that great with non-setups either...

Old 03-29-2010, 09:23 AM

191 posts, read 349,649 times
A few times over the years, and as far as I can remember it never once went past that first "date".

I always felt like my friends were setting me up with somebody that would be perfect for themselves, not necessarily a good match for what I was looking for at the time.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
A former coworker wants to set me up with a friend of hers who is a virgin at 34 and super religious. I've met the guy before, and he's nice, but there's just way too much baggage there. One of those "you're both single, so obviously you need to date" situations.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,247,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Set you up on a date or tried to set you up with someone?

If so did how did it work out?

Its happened to me a few times over the years, only once would I say it was a success. The most recent one was this weekend just gone.
It was funny I was in a group of mostly guys, when she arrived (I had no Idea), she Ignored the rest of the guys I was with pretty much and made a special effort of introducing herself to me.
Anyway nothing came of it (yet anyway), it was too staged and scripted and abit awkward lol
Yes, some have before and they picked two completely opposite people!LOL....... For example, I was fixed up once with a Korean school teacher by one of the guys I worked with. His wife and this lady were both high school teachers and worked together. When I showed up you should have seen this ladies face.LOL....... She was very petite and cute and was in awe of old Rugged. I thought this was a good sign and looked forward to a great time. We went to dinner and then watched a movie. We did a lot of taking during the date and realized that we were two different people. We didn't click or hit it off but did have a great time. When I dropped her off she did ask me if I wanted to come in. I was naive at the time as to what that meant! I said, it is pretty late and I should be heading home!! Dumba** LMAO......... Anyway, we never went out again and I have always wondered what happened to her. She seemed very nice, good looking and was certainly professional so she should have found someone more compatible with her.

Last edited by 2RUGGED4YOU; 03-29-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,699 times
There isn't an one size fits all. Sometimes the match maker friend is "eager to please" and gets satisfaction with match-making. Sometimes the match makers will be pressured by a friend to find them someone. Lots of variables.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I was friends with my ex-boyfriend and set him up with a woman I worked with. I liked her and she seemed to have the same interests (surfing, travel) as he did. They dated for four years.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
I always felt like my friends were setting me up with somebody that would be perfect for themselves, not necessarily a good match for what I was looking for at the time.
A few years ago a friend set me up with one of her friends, and we really hit it off. She was in a relationship at the time, but became super jealous of us--she had subconsciously put the guy on her reserve list and couldn't take seeing us happy together. It was the death knell for both the relationship and the friendship.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,974 times
I had a roommate in college set me up. She had a pretty good track record - many of her couples ending up working out/ getting married over the years.

I liked the guy enough but had I not been set up I wouldn't have tried so hard to make it work out. I ignored too many things that otherwise would have been dealbreakers. Oh well. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships