Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I can't relate to any of these "Hollywood" dramas, so they will never impact the decisions I make in life.
but there is a lot of truth in it.

As those who have read my posts know, I have little sympathy for the the young guys who claim a woman tricked them by getting pregnant and are now stuck with child support. Sure, these women could be intelligent about it, get an a abortion or put the baby up for adoption and then get on with an education, to make something of their life. However, they are generally not intelligent and they consider this a good "career" move.

Despite this, these guys should know that this is how the game is played and since they are generally players and bad boys, they probably deserve what they got. This is likely one of the few times there is any justice, rough as it may be, in the modern relationship/marriage divorce cycle.

In contrast, I've read a lot of posts from older men (and known some too) who married a woman with little or no assets. They were too old for family. As such, this was a very altruistic move. She really laid on the charm prior to the wedding but subsequently she returned to form. After a few years, he realized that this was not something that will pass. However, he is now stuck. Either he keeps her around or is on the hook for all his hard won financial independence. A difficult decision. Work into your 80s or keep living with a woman who despises you and makes your life miserable.

This is the main problem for men once they pass age 40. The only margin of safety they have from getting mauled by divorce is to find a woman who has her own place, a good job and her own retirement savings. While there may be many "wonderful" women looking and many match makers eager to set you up, for most men, the real opportunities are no better and no more numerous than they were when they were 18 to 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

3,261 posts, read 5,305,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
but there is a lot of truth in it.

As those who have read my posts know, I have little sympathy for the the young guys who claim a woman tricked them by getting pregnant and are now stuck with child support. Sure, these women could be intelligent about it, get an a abortion or put the baby up for adoption and then get on with an education, to make something of their life. However, they are generally not intelligent and they consider this a good "career" move.

Despite this, these guys should know that this is how the game is played and since they are generally players and bad boys, they probably deserve what they got. This is likely one of the few times there is any justice, rough as it may be, in the modern relationship/marriage divorce cycle.

In contrast, I've read a lot of posts from older men (and known some too) who married a woman with little or no assets. They were too old for family. As such, this was a very altruistic move. She really laid on the charm prior to the wedding but subsequently she returned to form. After a few years, he realized that this was not something that will pass. However, he is now stuck. Either he keeps her around or is on the hook for all his hard won financial independence. A difficult decision. Work into your 80s or keep living with a woman who despises you and makes your life miserable.

This is the main problem for men once they pass age 40. The only margin of safety they have from getting mauled by divorce is to find a woman who has her own place, a good job and her own retirement savings. While there may be many "wonderful" women looking and many match makers eager to set you up, for most men, the real opportunities are no better and no more numerous than they were when they were 18 to 30.
I find the distinction you make between a man "trapped" in a marriage and one "trapped" with an unwanted child, interesting.

Why wouldn't you equate condom to pre-nup, abstinence to "don't get married"? Why are your feelings different? I think the thought processes/logic of these men are the same, don't you?

As far as the "Hollywood" dramas go, no example can be applied to a typical person's real life, IMO. There is a narcissism and entitlement in Hollywood that seems to be positively correlated with Celebrity & Money.

Furthermore, celebrities tend to benefit from outrageous and generally socially unacceptable behavior. Instead of being shunned, they are awarded with more Celebrity, which leads to more Money and the cycle continues.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
I hope more wealthy men get shafted in divorce and I really really hope its well publicized. Just another nail in the coffin of marriage 2.0. Good grief..when will men learn.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:38 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
It'd be cheaper for her to have purchased a life insurance policy on him, during the marriage. She'd get her cut, when he kicked the can.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,917 times
Wealthy celebs and their lives are pretty much unique cases.
more than likely this is less of a problem for the man of normal wealth or income because, unless he fully supports a woman financially, the courts will probably just have them split the community property.
Just what I have heard from divorced associates of mine.

I used to say I am never getting married.
But if I meet a woman who has been permanently medically sterilized and is willing to split all effort and costs as equally as possible I would seriously consider it.
Amongst other aspects.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I hope more wealthy men get shafted in divorce and I really really hope its well publicized. Just another nail in the coffin of marriage 2.0. Good grief..when will men learn.

You'd think rich men would learn by now.

Painless way to learn is by watching other people make mistakes. = What smart people do.

Painful way to learn is by making the mistake yourself = What dumb people do.

The only people who should get married are people with very little money. That way only their emotions are affected in the event of a divorce, and not their bank account. The rest need to keep a lover.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post

I used to say I am never getting married.
But if I meet a woman who has been permanently medically sterilized and is willing to split all effort and costs as equally as possible I would seriously consider it.
Amongst other aspects.

Actually, it isn't enough she is barren. Later she might want to adopt or get a surrogate mom to bear your child. Women change their minds, didn't you know?

I suggest all men who do not want to be the victim of the marriage scam to simply date medically sterilized and non-maternal women. Then cohabitate. Play house. Go on a cruise just like honeymooners. And if she isn't happy with it, she'll leave. If she is happy, she'll stay. So simple!

Women who want to marry should never date a man who is not interested in marriage or children. Period. You will not change him, and if you think you can, you'll end up doing all of the chores all by yourself. He will be "working" late.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Sounds like the result of a very good lawyer looking out for her best financial interests as a career gold digger. Young thing makes him look good, and his money keeps her looking good until they both just can't take it anymore. Knowing what cancer can do to a bank acct....well I can't say I blame her. Sucks that he has cancer. I liked his wild style and that he kept that devilish glint to his eye.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Sounds like the result of a very good lawyer looking out for her best financial interests as a career gold digger. Young thing makes him look good, and his money keeps her looking good until they both just can't take it anymore. Knowing what cancer can do to a bank acct....well I can't say I blame her. Sucks that he has cancer. I liked his wild style and that he kept that devilish glint to his eye.
The way I figure is this: he used his fame and wealth to buy a much younger woman, and now everybody's getting mad because she's trying to cash the check.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
The way I figure is this: he used his fame and wealth to buy a much younger woman, and now everybody's getting mad because she's trying to cash the check.
Yep. I bet she would get more sympathy points if she looked a tad more shoddy around the edges too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships