Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 06:20 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, a lady my mom knew gave me the best relationship advice ever:

"Don't settle for the one you can live with; wait for the one you can't live without."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
Should I try being nicer to the one near here who's nice to me? I feel bad pushing him away, but don't wanna let myself get sucked into a rebound trap just because he's nice.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:51 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
Should I try being nicer to the one near here who's nice to me? I feel bad pushing him away, but don't wanna let myself get sucked into a rebound trap just because he's nice.
That's entirely your call. If you're ready, go for it. If you're not, don't. Not a decision we can make for you.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM

I just got a wave of sadness again. I keep thinking about when my ex visited last summer for a week--the places we went, how sad it was when he left, the little reminders he left in my room that I'm too sad to touch....

I know that soon I'll wonder why I cared so much about the guy but right now I'm very, very depressed about it.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
It's normal to grieve about it. A little! Think about what you are REALLY grieving. Is it the reality of your relationship or what it MIGHT have been?

Don't let yourself get too sad about what you never had anyway. It was fake!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 PM

356 posts, read 1,179,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
This guy is a huge liar. Maybe in 10 years or so he'll mature and straighten out, but he does NOT sound like the sort of person you'd want to be in a relationship with in the meantime. Move on. There's too many fish in the sea to get stuck on someone who isn't absolutely terrific and treats you right.
Exactly, life is short, take a breath, move on and do not look back, .

Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
Why would you evan think of him, he lied. You need to love yourself a bit more and forget the guy.( I used to attract all sorts of creeps, Untill I loved myself more, now I have a good guy)

Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times
You sound like a great guy who deserves so much better than what this creep did to you. Take a time out- today it feels like your heart will never heal but give yourself a few weeks- I read someplace that three weeks is needed to break habits.

Promise yourself not to contact him- or acknowledge any attempts he makes to contact you for those three weeks. Focus on YOU- make a list of what you know is good about yourself. Make a list of what this guy did to you. When you start to hurt, read what the cad did to you. And read what you like about yourself. Then think about whether that person deserves someone as great as you are.

As for the new guy- I really do think you need a breather. Don't dive into anything with the new guy. Let him know what you're going through and if he's worth your time, he'll understand and offer you his friendship for the time being- and will not pressure you into anything more.

This was a long relationship even though there was distance- so you definitely need time to heal. Living in Delaware, you probably get over to Rehobeth on occasion. Go hang out with friends, have fun, and live your life.

And remember- you are grieving what you thought you had- not something that you really had. Because all he did was lie to you.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM

Now he claims maybe he'll find a way to get here to come to the beach with me this time again.

My feelings are super mixed. First of all, the trip's in late July -- romantically, I should be more than over him by then.

Then I wonder...a VERY similar situation occured last year.

We were broken up when he came for the one week last summer. We'd been broken up a few weeks and I was basically over him, but he got here and all of a sudden he was the best thing since sliced bread, and I immediately got back together with him. Then he said he'd move for sure (reaffirming the plans that had been broken when we'd broken up...)

Fast foward to almost literally an exact year later. It's mid June again, same time this happened before...I'm sad, but I'll be over him by the time beach time comes around.

However, if he comes back during beach time, two things could happen. First of all I could fall for him again but he doesn't do it back, thus making me devastated again, or I could fall again and he would reciprocate, but just lead me on, eventually devastating me again.

Should I try to pursue getting him to come to the beach, or drop it?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships