Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,348,506 times

Advertisements

Standard women have no league of their own, unless they're high profile hookers or bonafide gold diggers.
I am a firm believer that every man has a shot when it comes to women who seem unattainable. It is up to the man to start off the process of attainability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But there's women you have a realistic chance with, and others you don't. It's not all based upon looks..
Similar education, upbringing, interests. These are some things that I would consider.

If I am a factory worker with a hs diploma who enjoys a cold beer and sports and watching tv at the local bar Im probably not going to have a chance with a medical doctor who goes to wine tasting and prefers to read in their spare time.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
betamanlet wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd
I have no idea. I don't think most women think in terms of 'leagues'.

But there's women you have a realistic chance with, and others you don't. It's not all based upon looks..
First of all, in response to Whyte Byrd, women may not even realize that they are sizing up a man and categorizing him in a sense but every man and woman do this, it's a very real thing. To use an extreme example, a beautiful young actress who's talented and successful is not going to be interested in an unattractive young man who has no ambition and is working in a menial position. They're clearly not in the same league.
Betaman, it's true it's not all based on looks but there has to be a chemistry between a man and a woman that's either there or it's not. When you're out in public and you see couples they're almost always paired together with someone who is approximately in the same range of attractiveness and you can sense the fact that they just seem to fit each other.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,388,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Similar education, upbringing, interests. These are some things that I would consider.

If I am a factory worker with a hs diploma who enjoys a cold beer and sports and watching tv at the local bar Im probably not going to have a chance with a medical doctor who goes to wine tasting and prefers to read in their spare time.
Agreed. Leagues is not 'offensive'. it's about like meeting like.

betamanlet, what defines you? once you have answered that, then you know what league you are in.

Quote:
One extreme, is looks. I was hanging out with my best friend and his two sisters this weekend, and I realize his sisters are way out of my league looks wise.. yet I still felt crappy, even though I have no chance in hell.
A 10 could readily date somebody lesser on the scale. Who says they cannot, or should not?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,015,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
betamanlet wrote:

First of all, in response to Whyte Byrd, women may not even realize that they are sizing up a man and categorizing him in a sense but every man and woman do this, it's a very real thing. To use an extreme example, a beautiful young actress who's talented and successful is not going to be interested in an unattractive young man who has no ambition and is working in a menial position. They're clearly not in the same league.
Betaman, it's true it's not all based on looks but there has to be a chemistry between a man and a woman that's either there or it's not. When you're out in public and you see couples they're almost always paired together with someone who is approximately in the same range of attractiveness and you can sense the fact that they just seem to fit each other.
Wrong. Not every. And actors/actresses are bad examples as they often do think more of themselves than should be legal. I wouldn't know where to start with leagues; do you go by intelligence? Income? Family status?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,244,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I'm a lawyer who makes low six figures and I have been brutally dumped by women who didn't have college degrees, that made a LOT less money than I do.

Not like I care about that money, degrees, status, but if it was that important to them, I still got brutally dumped, and it wasn't like I mistreated them. They just felt with they could do better, or apparently I was horrible or something like that..

Either way, i think women can be pickier about men.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM

213 posts, read 416,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
betamanlet wrote:

I always though Sandra Bullock was way out of Jesse James' league.

same for Britney/K-Fed and Whitney/BB

Last edited by genx; 05-10-2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: semantics

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

betamanlet, what defines you? once you have answered that, then you know what league you are in.

A 10 could readily date somebody lesser on the scale. Who says they cannot, or should not?
I don't know.

I just feel really bad about this weekend.. First time I've gone out in a long time, and I just felt so crappy around my friend's sisters, even though even if they were interested in me, nothing would still ever happen..

If I were to just go out, who would I have a realistic chance with?

I've been dumped by single mothers, I've been dumped by childless women.. I mean. What is realistic for me?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

Well, not like I would aspire or want a 10, but if you were "below" someone, it just means they have that many more options available. I want a loyal and stable relationship, and not have to live in fear.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
One of the reasons that people are unhappy in relationships or can't even get into one is the fact that they are seeking out someone who isn't going to have the slightest interest in them. I've known quite a few guys who were just average looking at best who were only interested in women who looked like models. The result is that they're constantly being rejected. I also notice on profiles on singles sites that the descriptions that women use to describe the kind of man they're looking for are so similar it almost sounds like they're all looking for the same guy. They're also trying to fine someone who's in a league that may be higher than their own and will probably remain single because they're not being realistic about who would be attracted to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships