Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Unfortunately, most guys don't THINK about what they are actually getting themselves into, and they have a wild fantasy of what marriage will be like,
Amazing how you seem to know what "most guys" think.

Quote:
I want to have sex when I want, and I want to have a variety if I chose to do so. Having sex with the same person year in and year out (especially if the person stops taking care of themselves) I do believe is unnatural, especially for men, as we are horny ALL THE TIME and we can have sex/orgasms multiple times every day.
Er so can women FYI. PS I know this will come as a shock, but not all men are "horny all the time." It's a great source of jokes, and men love to act like it's true in an immature braggart sort of way, and yeah generally we are more so than women...but it's also an exaggeration, often a big one, esp as men get older.

Quote:
People need to stop BS**** with each other and just pull back the modern veneers and see each other for who we really are. All men want SEX,and women want money; which is the modern equivalent of old fashioned brute strength that makes her feel secure.
Why stop there? How about all Mexicans are lazy, all blacks are thugs, and all whites are racist, while you're at it?

Quote:
All this; "I love you honey," and "will you take my hand in marriage" is soooooo phony and you all %%%% know it!!!
That's not only one of the saddest things I've ever read on a msg board (which is saying something) but also the most cynical and deluded, frankly. And I'm a pretty cynical person. Sounds like you must have been burned pretty bad in a previous relationship.

Many people marry for love, believe in love and - gasp - are faithful and have no interest in ever cheating. FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A man is capable of being faithful
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I agree. I think some men are capable of being fully in love and fully committed. I really do.
WHOA cmon now let's not get crazy

Old 05-14-2010, 07:37 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
It's called life and all money classes of people do it. Get used to it

Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
okay, i guess according to this philosophy, i'm a man.

Checking my private parts...whew...still there.

lol!!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
You may find this interesting Morphous The Expectations Trap | Psychology Today

It's theorizes that the failure of marriages in America are largely based on our culture of having unrealistic expectations and constantly seeking happiness and perfection.

I defiantly agree with the article.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
That's not only one of the saddest things I've ever read on a msg board (which is saying something) but also the most cynical and deluded, frankly. And I'm a pretty cynical person. Sounds like you must have been burned pretty bad in a previous relationship.

No, I just CHOSE to see the world for what it really is. We men want sex and women want the cash (more so then sex); we just constantly lie to each other (in route) to get what we want.

And no, I have never been burned, that mostly happens to squares or really nice people unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Many people marry for love, believe in love and - gasp - are faithful and have no interest in ever cheating. FYI.

Marry for love? Oh yea right (rolls eyes). Let a woman gain 10-15 lbs and see if her man still "loves" her. And let a man propose with a ring worth a grand or less, and lets see how much she "loves" him.

We are all grown adults here, if you have a healthy self esteem you don't need anybody to "love" you. You should have got that from your mom and dad!

This whole fantasy of finding love and romance was started by the French and is now continued to be propagated by Hollywood and companies like Hallmark to sell their crappy overpriced cards. It's just good for business; which is why even the Government is now involved (Divorce court, Lawyers).

Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I just want sex.

Don't be shy about it baby.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM

396 posts, read 732,610 times
Quote:
Marry for love? Oh yea right (rolls eyes). Let a woman gain 10-15 lbs and see if her man still "loves" her. And let a man propose with a ring worth a grand or less, and lets see how much she "loves" him.
I gained a lot more than that... strangely, 12 and 10 years later respectively, they both still love me. Oh, and my engagement/wedding ring and my husband's cost all of about $30 combined at a Renaissance Festival. Actually, the jewelry my boyfriend bought me to symbolize our relationship was also bought at the Renaissance Festival... I think it was about $60. I'd say the total value of all the jewelry I own doesn't even come close to a grand. Not even half that.

Me, I'll take good sex over money any day. I've been without money... it sucks, but it's survivable... and it's a heck of a lot easier to deal with if you're facing the abyss with someone who loves you. We've stood at that precipice many times... and helped pull each other back from it.

That's part of loving someone.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:20 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
No, I just CHOSE to see the world for what it really is. We men want sex and women want the cash (more so then sex); we just constantly lie to each other (in route) to get what we want.

And no, I have never been burned, that mostly happens to squares or really nice people unfortunately.

We are all grown adults here, if you have a healthy self esteem you don't need anybody to "love" you. You should have got that from your mom and dad!

This whole fantasy of finding love and romance was started by the French and is now continued to be propagated by Hollywood and companies like Hallmark to sell their crappy overpriced cards. It's just good for business; which is why even the Government is now involved (Divorce court, Lawyers).
Hi Morphous01,

Actually cultures just react differently to several hormonally activated pathways that go across all cultures. Some fight them like India while others encourage them like France.

Some level of oxytocin and vasopressin generally will cause bonding.

True Love Article, Romantic Love Information, Serotonin Level Facts -- National Geographic
From a physiological point of view, this couple has moved from the dopamine-drenched state of romantic love to the relative quiet of an oxytocin-induced attachment. Oxytocin is a hormone that promotes a feeling of connection, bonding. It is released when we hug our long-term spouses, or our children. It is released when a mother nurses her infant. Prairie voles, animals with high levels of oxytocin, mate for life. When scientists block oxytocin receptors in these rodents, the animals don't form monogamous bonds and tend to roam. Some researchers speculate that autism, a disorder marked by a profound inability to forge and maintain social connections, is linked to an oxytocin deficiency. Scientists have been experimenting by treating autistic people with oxytocin, which in some cases has helped alleviate their symptoms.
n long-term relationships that work—like Renu and Anil's—oxytocin is believed to be abundant in both partners. In long…term relationships that never get off the ground, like Renu and her first husband's, or that crumble once the high is gone, chances are the couple has not found a way to stimulate or sustain oxytocin production.
One reason in hook up culture women may be going a little nuts is because of sex with condoms. I imagine a fertile women not getting her dose of seminal fluid may be reacting badly. She cannot waste time with an apparently hormonally deficient male. I doubt that helps with bonding.

Health & Wellness*-*Women̢۪s Wellness w/ Lorna Vanderhaeghe*-*From Sexy Hormones
[SIZE=2]There has been some very interesting research on this topic but nothing about the effect of vasectomies, to my knowledge. As early as World War I, we have known that the beneficial effects of male ejaculate extend beyond egg fertilization. Male ejaculate is alkalizing and buffers and shifts an acidic vaginal channel to the alkaline side, allowing sperm to travel to meet the egg in the fallopian tube. Semen also supports and extends the life of sperm with its nutritive, protective properties.[/SIZE] [SIZE=2] Dr. Marie Stopes (1880-1958) was a famous British natural scientist and professor who conducted a clinical study during World War I on the effect of coitus interruptus in women. She concluded and wrote in her 1918 book, Wise Parenthood, that the loss of absorbed seminal and prostatic fluid caused a reduced sense of well being. Subsequent investigators concurred that semen provided benefit to the nervous and endocrine systems. Women deprived of it reportedly suffered from “painful anxiety conditions” and “nervous and sympathetic affections.”[/SIZE]
It can also suppress dopamine and norepinephrine pathways which are the sex and romance hormones; but when they are too high, it can be hell. That state is related to drug addicts and serotonin depleted obsessive compulsive lunatics. Also the more you chase it the harder it is because one develops a tolerance for it.

Oh if you are a poor man, try giving her orgasms. That also releases lots of happy hormones. As you can see, women like orgasms.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
No, I just CHOSE to see the world for what it really is.
No, you chose to see the world for what you imagine it to be.

Quote:
We men want sex and women want the cash (more so then sex); we just constantly lie to each other (in route) to get what we want.
Wrong again. Those people certainly exist, but to act like "all" or even most men or women are like that is blatantly ridiculous.

Quote:
You can't be serious-? It happens to all people of all kinds.

Quote:
Sorry but you are repeatedly making it extremely clear that you haven't the faintest idea what love is all about and are not only bitter and miserable but very shallow. I hope you're extremely young; that would at least explain the ignorance. Either way, I truly pity you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships