Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Marriage is down because people are waiting longer to marry.
Or maybe people are living in domestic partnerships without getting married. It doesn't mean people are writing off relationships, just doing them differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:55 AM

865 posts, read 2,432,258 times
I have to agree with the article. Before we had kids, I worked full time. Now with little ones, I'm home, and I find that WAY more exhausting and much harder work than going to work. Thankfully, my dh does help around the house and with the kids, so it lightens the load for me some, and that is what a "partnership" is about.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the assumption that you if you treat your wife well you will have a good marriage is not supported by the evidence provided.
treating others well takes care of 50% of the problem.
american men do in fact help alot with the housework. marriage bliss has not been forthcoming.
in last 50 years we have experimented alot with marriage, with disasterous results.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-19-2010 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Or maybe people are living in domestic partnerships without getting married. It doesn't mean people are writing off relationships, just doing them differently.

Certainly, there are a number of reasons, people are waiting longer to marry, there are fewer people than the generation before, hell, if people aren't getting married someone tell my dad - he's on wife number 3.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the assumption that you if you treat your wife well you will have a good marriage is not supported by the evidence provided.
People don't associate with others who don't treat them well.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:58 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It dosent say the working husband does all the housework or most of the housework. I think "the highest amount" is referirng to the more he helps out at home the less likely to divorce. From my traditional upbringing, typically, when a man gets home from work his responsibility ends other than maybe mowing the yard. IMO the article means helping care for the kids, give them a bath once in a while, help with homework, etc. Wash the dishes once in a while, fold some clothes generally clean up after yourself. Just because a person works outside the home 40 hrs. a week shouldnt absolve them from interacting with their children and doing some domestic duties.
I'm certain that's what it meant too.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This was an English article, so ... I wonder if that's what a chav is. I'm not certain what defines a chav, except that I'm pretty sure they don't read.
Urban Dictionary: Chav / Chavette

Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
How so? What evidence?

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
How so? What evidence?
where is the evidence that all american men treat their wives badly and do nothing to help with the housework?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Exclamation Hold your horses.

For those who are complaining about the "highest amount" and making it seem like the men are doing all the work while the women sit around doing nothing, I will say that the original link is an example of poor reporting of statistics.

The "highest amount" refers to a relative amount of work within the options provided by the study.

This article explains it better:

[URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7125510.ece"]Husbands who help in house divorce less[/URL]

From the article:

"The fathers’ participation in housework, shopping and childcare was measured in the number of tasks he was reported by the mother to have done in the previous week.

Just over half of fathers in 1975 were reported to have helped with none or one task (51%), while 24% carried out two tasks. About a quarter carried out three or four, the highest contribution."

In other words, one task is the lowest amount, two tasks is the middle amount, and three or four is the highest amount.

That does not mean that the men in the "highest amount" group were doing more housework and childcare than the women. Far from it, and such a thought cannot be inferred from the statistics by a long shot.

Unless you think that only three or four things need to be done per week to run a household or raise a child.

In which case, you should probably not be married in the first place, and whatever you do, please don't breed.

I digress.

This was in 1975. Only a third of the women were employed, an only 5% of them were working full-time.

Now I'm going to hazard a guess, just a wee little guess based on my own experience and what I've seen of the world, that these women were doing the eleventy bazillion other tasks that need to be done every day to run a household and raise children.

Remember, these guys were doing three or four tasks per week. So, they took out the garbage once, put the dishes in the dishwasher once, turned on the kid's bathwater once, maybe ran the vacuum or changed a diaper once. Their wives did everything else: All the errands, all the chauffeuring, all the cleaning (including all the scrubbing of all the toilets with all the man-pee on the rims), all the cooking, all the diaper-changing, all the kissing of all the boo-boos, all the reading of the bedtime stories, all the mopping of all the spilled milk, all the plant-watering, all the laundry, all the judging of all the inter-sibling brawls, all the pet doo-doo clean-up, all the dusting, all the child-proofing, and probably all of the bleepin' Christmas-card writing.

And that was in 1975--when 95% of them were around most of the time to do it.

Yeah, big help three or four tasks a week are going to be to a working wife or mother now.

We need studies based on today's world, thanks much.

Last edited by Yzette; 05-19-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships