Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times

Advertisements

How do you (girls) deal with unwanted attention? I'm in Europe right now, which is obviously a much different culture than the US, and I'm having a really hard time adjusting. I get a lot of unwanted attention at home, but this is ridiculous.

I'm a well-proportioned blonde in a country of olive skinned and dark haired people, and I stick out like a sore thumb. Some guy took a picture of me in my bathing suit on a family beach! I went out with a whole group of girls (all of them wearing skimpy suits) and I was the one who got bothered. I don't get it!

I don't go out drinking or clubbing and I wear modest clothes..but this is ridiculous. No one else in my group is being treated like this. I've taken to never going out without a guy friend because I get harassed so much. The hotel concierge came to my room at 2am to ask me out last night!

What is the best way to deal with this, other than gaining 30lb and donning a habit? I've spoken my mind quite a few times, but it's really grating on me. This happens back home all the time too. I'm a married woman, not some tart looking for a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
How do you (girls) deal with unwanted attention? I'm in Europe right now, which is obviously a much different culture than the US, and I'm having a really hard time adjusting. I get a lot of unwanted attention at home, but this is ridiculous.

I'm a well-proportioned blonde in a country of olive skinned and dark haired people, and I stick out like a sore thumb. Some guy took a picture of me in my bathing suit on a family beach! I went out with a whole group of girls (all of them wearing skimpy suits) and I was the one who got bothered. I don't get it!

I don't go out drinking or clubbing and I wear modest clothes..but this is ridiculous. No one else in my group is being treated like this. I've taken to never going out without a guy friend because I get harassed so much. The hotel concierge came to my room at 2am to ask me out last night!

What is the best way to deal with this, other than gaining 30lb and donning a habit? I've spoken my mind quite a few times, but it's really grating on me. This happens back home all the time too. I'm a married woman, not some tart looking for a good time.
Wait about 20 years and I'm sure most men will ignore you,OP.
I was always under the impression that women didn't like it when men STOPPED looking at them.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:10 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
My advice ?

Don't stop it.
Make the most of it while you still have it.
One day, all the attention will stop, then you'll miss it.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
So you're apparently smoking hot and complaining about it?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post

Sounds like there could be way more serious things to worry about in life than someone taking a picture of you on the beach because you look good to them....lol..How is that a "problem"?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,017 times
I dont understand why ? when i walk with my ex people stared at us .. now when i walk with my wife they still stare at us .. i mean come on peepo .. im not from the planet of apes for godsake .. no smile no compliment not even a bloddy smirk ..plain stare .. geez thats really annoying i tell ya .. few days back i was dining in a restaurant with dad .. i've recently shaved my head full on ... this guy sits across my table and leans over to have a look lol .. and the face he made was like lol ..i spilled water and cracked up really bad .. i asked him if hes scared or what ? lol weird world i tell ya !!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
This is the reason New York city is popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm24x7 View Post
I dont understand why ? when i walk with my ex people stared at us .. now when i walk with my wife they still stare at us .. i mean come on peepo .. im not from the planet of apes for godsake .. no smile no compliment not even a bloddy smirk ..plain stare .. geez thats really annoying i tell ya .. few days back i was dining in a restaurant with dad .. i've recently shaved my head full on ... this guy sits across my table and leans over to have a look lol .. and the face he made was like lol ..i spilled water and cracked up really bad .. i asked him if hes scared or what ? lol weird world i tell ya !!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
This is the reason New York is popular.
Really wow ! .. i guess thats because its a metropolitan city .. Im from Mumbai ..which is like NYC of India but still i find it ridiculously funny .. i can't take the stares .. even a dreadfull or angry look cracks me up lol .. no wonder why i was punished in school for simply laughing during class .. i dont know why .. call it shyness or whatever .. its really something i totally go mad lol ..

I remember once travelling on train .. a cop in his uniform sat across me devouring his ice lolly.. he made some really funny faces and noise .. i cracked up .. he stopped and stared at me .. i could barely control the laughter .. turned my head down giggled lol ..

Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,626 times
i doubt your are that hot

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Dye your hair or adopt a particularly ticked-off look on your face, like the next person who approaches you is going to get ripped a new one. Or wear a T-shirt that says, "Bug off" in the local language. As a good-looking blonde who stands out, there's not a lot you can do.

Olive skin and dark hair ... are you in Italy? I hear those guys get handsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships