Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times

Advertisements

The divorce rate is lowest for college graduates and highest for those who dropped out of college, higher than those with no college at all. I guess dropping out of college tells us something about the propensity for walking out of commitments.

And that of-quoted 50% divorce rate number is pretty outdated. The younger generations are much less likely to divorce than the baby boomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM

951 posts, read 1,810,899 times
I often wondered what happened to the good looking guys from well to do families who were convinced by the girls to chuck it all and settle for a lot of sex. Surely one of them would eventually get bored!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I never took statistics in college, so maybe that's why this graph confuses me. The group with the lowest divorce rate shown are white male college graduates. The group with the next lowest divorce rate are black male college graduates. So who were those guys married to? The WMCG rate is about 14%, but the lowest female rate of any race/education is 17%. There are two people involved in divorce. Like I said, statistics sometimes elude me.

Didn't anyone marry Asians?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I never took statistics in college, so maybe that's why this graph confuses me. The group with the lowest divorce rate shown are white male college graduates. The group with the next lowest divorce rate are black male college graduates. So who were those guys married to? The WMCG rate is about 14%, but the lowest female rate of any race/education is 17%. There are two people involved in divorce. Like I said, statistics sometimes elude me.

That's easy, some of the white female college graduates could have married a high school grad or college dropout, which then led to divorce. They don't pair one to one in education. It's more common for the man to have higher education, so it could explain why white male college grads have the lowest divorce rate, and why white females with no college have a pretty low divorce rate as well.

Asians are hard to study since they compass only 4% of the US population, but they generally have the lowest divorce rates of all surveyed groups in America.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:12 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
The divorce rate is lowest for college graduates and highest for those who dropped out of college, higher than those with no college at all. I guess dropping out of college tells us something about the propensity for walking out of commitments.

And that of-quoted 50% divorce rate number is pretty outdated. The younger generations are much less likely to divorce than the baby boomers.
Becoz that's why they settle down with the stupid jobs or go volunteer collecting seashells for the environment

When the money runs dry, it's friction.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,911 times
Quote:

These are percentages of divorces within 10 years by gender, within a given racial group and a given educational level. So if there were a higher number of divorced women with some college, relative to the total number of women in that group I guess that could account for the higher percentage. So if there are fewer women with some college, every divorce within 10 years becomes more significant percentwise.

This is just an assumption and I don't know that we can read too much into it, since I think we are missing some iportant information.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
That's easy, some of the white female college graduates could have married a high school grad or college dropout, which then led to divorce. They don't pair one to one in education. It's more common for the man to have higher education, so it could explain why white male college grads have the lowest divorce rate, and why white females with no college have a pretty low divorce rate as well.

Asians are hard to study since they compass only 4% of the US population, but they generally have the lowest divorce rates of all surveyed groups in America.
That makes sense, but if I add the numbers from each group, they're off again.

WFCG (college grad): 16/100 are divorced
WFSC (some college): 32/100
WFHS (high school): 19/100
Total divorces for WFs: 67/300

BFCG: 19/100
BFSC: 28/100
BFHS: 23/100
Total divorces for BFs: 70/300

Total divorces for entire F group: 137/600

WMCG: 13/100
WMSC: 25/100
WMHS: 23/100
Total divorces for WMs: 61/300

BMCG: 14/100
BMSC: 17/100
BMHS: 21/100
Total divorces for BMs: 52/300

Total divorces for entire M group: 113/600

25 more women were divorced that decade, but apparently not from men. That doesn't make sense.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,002,157 times
College degree=more money....All this tells me is maybe they don't divorce because of finances. I know two miserable married couples who stay because they don't want to lose their share to the other. If I know two, how many more are there?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,303,911 times
Quote:
That makes sense, but if I add the numbers from each group, they're off again.

WFCG (college grad): 16/100 are divorced
WFSC (some college): 32/100
WFHS (high school): 19/100
Total divorces for WFs: 67/300

BFCG: 19/100
BFSC: 28/100
BFHS: 23/100
Total divorces for BFs: 70/300

Total divorces for entire F group: 137/600

WMCG: 13/100
WMSC: 25/100
WMHS: 23/100
Total divorces for WMs: 61/300

BMCG: 14/100
BMSC: 17/100
BMHS: 21/100
Total divorces for BMs: 52/300

Total divorces for entire M group: 113/600

25 more women were divorced that decade, but apparently not from men. That doesn't make sense.
We don't know if the 100% is of the total number of in that specific group or the the total numer of women.

Without a link, it's worthless. For all we know it's fuzzy math.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,485 times
Quote:
The divorce rate is lowest for college graduates and highest for those who dropped out of college, higher than those with no college at all.
Yes, but this is impacted by the fact that the MARRIAGE rate for people with no college is much lower overall. Indeed, increasingly in the U.S. marriage itself is a middle class (and higher class) phenomenon. Lower education and income folks are much, much less likely to marry in the first place and this impacts the divorce rate via selection bias. Divorce is linked to education and income but, paradoxically, lower income/education people who do end up marrying are more likely to stay married than those members of some other education/income groups (religion, as it turns out, is an important factor in this).

Marriage and divorce statistics are VERY easily misread, misreported, and misinterpreted, and that's because the intervening variables that affect marriage and divorce rates are so large and varied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships