Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:01 PM

917 posts, read 2,949,055 times

Advertisements

I like the idea for the date (and I'm 25)- my BF and I still picnic after 7 years.

However, you're putting the cart waaaaaaay before the horse. Dating people you work with is a bad bad bad bad idea, especially if you're new. Do you want to be known as the guy that asks his coworkers out? Hold off for a bit (at least with a coworker- you'll have to see her a lot, even if she turns you down or the date blows). Seriously, there is nothing wrong with taking a little time to get to know someone. Here's a dirty little secret- it takes more than a few days to get relegated to the friend zone, so you have time to get to know this girl. If you decide she's worth it and there's no company policy against it, then go for the picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
OMG I'm 21 (almost 22) & I think that's really nice. It's sweet & thoughtful. Now if she were a cold-hearted, gold-digging b*tch, she'd think it was lame. But I think that'd be sweet & it's different which can be a good thing. Good luck.
This is the most inane post I have read all week. Such assumptions about your fellow women. Wow.

The majority of the people in this thread are forgetting the number one rule about dating: it's not about what/when/where, it's about who. The most perfect date is far from perfect if it's not with a guy/girl that you want to be with.

OP: If she likes you then you *technically* can do no wrong. If she doesn't like you, then a sweet date isn't going to change that. Get to know her. See if she may have a thing for you. Figure out what she likes/dislikes.

And about money and gold-diggers (since that seems to be the favored topic on this forum), a really expensive date will not make a girl like you. It may make a gold-digger stick around, but it will not magically make her start to develop feelings and attraction for you.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 AM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
This is the most inane post I have read all week. Such assumptions about your fellow women. Wow.

The majority of the people in this thread are forgetting the number one rule about dating: it's not about what/when/where, it's about who. The most perfect date is far from perfect if it's not with a guy/girl that you want to be with.

OP: If she likes you then you *technically* can do no wrong. If she doesn't like you, then a sweet date isn't going to change that. Get to know her. See if she may have a thing for you. Figure out what she likes/dislikes.

And about money and gold-diggers (since that seems to be the favored topic on this forum), a really expensive date will not make a girl like you. It may make a gold-digger stick around, but it will not magically make her start to develop feelings and attraction for you.
In her defense, Vegas is a whole other animal. I learned this the hard way while living out there. You have never met such shallow, image obsessed people. It's all about who you know and what they can do for the person meeting you. This dude just got there, has no money or contacts. It's a frickin' recipe for disaster if she isn't interested in dating for emotional reasons alone. That's a town where every week you meet incredibly wealthy men from all over the world who will throw serious gifts and money at you. So, most women there are quite spoiled and have come from other states and countries for that star treatment. There's a tipping culture out there that is like religion and you are a non person if you don't pass the cash around. Plus, they tweak out, coke up, g it up (GHB), and literally walk along the sidewalks CRUNK (crazy drunk)! So in Vegas a lovely outing like he described could be seen as boring or dorky by many girls.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 AM

254 posts, read 415,088 times
I think its a great idea. It is always a good idea to go somewhere public for a first date so that the lady feels comfortable. Plus it shows that you aren't the typical guy, maybe more imaginative than just taking her to a loud club or just out to dinner. It depends on her personality, but I don't see why she wouldn't love to have a nice quiet, enjoyable meal and have a chance to really talk and get to know you at the same time.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,031,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
In her defense, Vegas is a whole other animal. I learned this the hard way while living out there. You have never met such shallow, image obsessed people. It's all about who you know and what they can do for the person meeting you. This dude just got there, has no money or contacts. It's a frickin' recipe for disaster if she isn't interested in dating for emotional reasons alone. That's a town where every week you meet incredibly wealthy men from all over the world who will throw serious gifts and money at you. So, most women there are quite spoiled and have come from other states and countries for that star treatment. There's a tipping culture out there that is like religion and you are a non person if you don't pass the cash around. Plus, they tweak out, coke up, g it up (GHB), and literally walk along the sidewalks CRUNK (crazy drunk)! So in Vegas a lovely outing like he described could be seen as boring or dorky by many girls.
You have a great point, Ticatica. I've never lived in Vegas or known anyone that has, so I've never seen that perspective.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,583,818 times
Quote:
You must have lived on the strip then if all that was going on when you lived in Vegas

I live way off the strip, and it seems pretty normal here

Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,777,609 times
Close! I lived over on Paradise across from the Wynn golf course. It is a remarkable town. I've lived in Manhattan Dallas and Houston and damn if they weren't the most extreme mercenaries I had ever met! It was a freeing place to live because they very things that are considered pretty base or shameful are the things that they promote and celebrate. BUT...in other ways their values are jaaaaacked up!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Close! I lived over on Paradise across from the Wynn golf course. It is a remarkable town. I've lived in Manhattan Dallas and Houston and damn if they weren't the most extreme mercenaries I had ever met! It was a freeing place to live because they very things that are considered pretty base or shameful are the things that they promote and celebrate. BUT...in other ways their values are jaaaaacked up!
Well I live in Centennial Hills and the people out here seem pretty normal, and the girl I met at work, my job is in Summerlin, and she lives there

Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,635,340 times
You might wanna find out if she already has a boyfriend, or you might find out when she brings him along to the picnic.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM

I got $5 on it that she does already

But ima try anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships