Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:03 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times

Advertisements

High maintenance in terms of financial.....

A certain brand purse is at a store for $X amount.

Across the street the same purse is available at a "distinguished" store but for twice as much, and she goes there and pays more for the reputation of being "higher society" and en vogue. I would think Hollywood and NYC is filled with those types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times
> Do you realize that if you declare that your high maintenance you're pricing yourself out the dating market, or at least reducing your chances of finding a decent mate? A good analogy is the fact that millionaires buy Ford f150 vs BMW's because it cost less and it's cheaper to maintain (Read The Millionaire Next Door).

Tell that to my husband. He owns practical vehicles and luxury vehicles. He would respond "Why not have both?"

As to your other points, I have never successfully "demanded" anything from a man, although Lord knows, I've tried a few times. Trying to get a man to do something he doesn't want to do is like trying to push a piano uphill, or trying to keep the sun from rising in the morning. The very idea of little ol' me demanding anything from my husband makes me laugh. I'm pretty sure it would make my husband laugh even harder. LOL.

If (when I was single) I priced myself out of any market with my attitude, it was only out of the market of stingy, materialistic, shallow men who measure the quality of their relationships by how much it impacts their wallet. There are plenty of other girls around who can have them. I wish them happiness. I don't equate "high-maintenance" with materialism and greed as you do. In fact, you are the one that seems hyper-focused on the financial aspects of relationships.

When I called myself "high maintenance" I meant it in a different way. I only meant that I am a bit of a girly-girl. Yes, I do need at least an hour or more to get ready for a special occasion. My husband appreciates the time I take to look good for him. I'm not sure but I think he would be mightily disappointed if I stopped getting bikini waxes. And I prefer sleeping on a soft mattress rather than in a sleeping bag, for example. I don't like to clean the fish that my husband catches even though he keeps trying to tell me that it's "my turn". I don't enjoy thrill-seeking activities or heavy lifting. I don't like to get my hands dirty if I can avoid it.

My material needs are simple ones. My husband is the one who insists on having the very best. That's why he married me.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 06-11-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM

xxbaybeechick - thank you for your kind words. I always enjoy your posts too!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:36 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
If (when I was single) I priced myself out of any market with my attitude, it was only out of the market of stingy, materialistic, shallow men who measure the quality of their relationships by how much it impacts their wallet.
And what's wrong with that? Don't you shop around and research your options BEFORE you make a purchase?

Quote:
There are plenty of other girls around who can have them.
Oh yea right, you say it with so much compassion. **Yawn** Your just another woman who views a man as some kind of workhorse.

Quote:
In fact, you are the one that seems hyper-focused on the financial aspects of relationships.
Yes, OBVIOUSLY I'm focused on the financial aspects of a relationship because, as the man, I'm going to be the one shuddering the financial burden to the grave! You would be doing the same thing if you were in my shoes.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:39 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:

If (when I was single) I priced myself out of any market with my attitude, it was only out of the market of stingy, materialistic, shallow men who measure the quality of their relationships by how much it impacts their wallet. There are plenty of other girls around who can have them. I wish them happiness. I don't equate "high-maintenance" with materialism and greed as you do. In fact, you are the one that seems hyper-focused on the financial aspects of relationships.

When I called myself "high maintenance" I meant it in a different way. I only meant that I am a bit of a girly-girl. Yes, I do need at least an hour or more to get ready for a special occasion. My husband appreciates the time I take to look good for him. I'm not sure but I think he would be mightily disappointed if I stopped getting bikini waxes. And I prefer sleeping on a soft mattress rather than in a sleeping bag, for example. I don't like to clean the fish that my husband catches even though he keeps trying to tell me that it's "my turn". I don't enjoy thrill-seeking activities or heavy lifting. I don't like to get my hands dirty if I can avoid it.

My material needs are simple ones. My husband is the one who insists on having the very best. That's why he married me.
This woman is my hero.

It's hilarious she's humoring the man she's talking with as if he's ever going to be in a serious long-term relationship with someone who isn't desperate or has severe emotional issues.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Xxbaybeechick,
Replied to your points, just in case you missed them .

Quote:
If (when I was single) I priced myself out of any market with my attitude, it was only out of the market of stingy, materialistic, shallow men
The thing is that men who don't spend their paychecks on women are seen with negativity. You know, the whole "A real gentleman will pay" kind of thing plus all the other things expected/demanded of a gentleman on how he should treat a lady. Well, you married a guy who owns vehicles and luxury cars, I get you did score a non stingy, non materialistic guy. Lucky you .

The things you mention are not high-maintenance. It requires money to be high-maintenance. Just like a car that needs constant maintenance, what does it mean? That a guy needs to take it to the mechanic often or fix it himself which will also require him to buy new parts and what not. Lionking gave a good example.

A homeless would rather sleep on a matress instead of sleeping under a bridge. It doesn't make him high-maintenance necessarily. Taking time to get dressed, not wanting to get your hands dirty while eating, etc. is not necessarily high-maintenance.

Quote:
Lucky you. As lucky as Xxbaybeechick. You get to live with a guy that has luxuries and gets to give them all to you. Go for it.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Xxbaybeechick,
Replied to your points, just in case you missed them .
Oh really? I only got this: "The Asian women that I've met so far meet my standards of equality in the sense that she understands all women are necessarily needy and demanding, and she strives in her nature to accommodate the role that her stereotyping Western male (who is undesirable to most women in Western society of multiple ethnic heritages) seeks to place her into."

Got it.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
High Maintenance/Low Maintenance?

I've heard these terms tossed around about other people... I think I'm low maintenance...but wonder if there are advantages to being difficult and wanting a lot from other people.

What are the advantages of being high maintenance?
I didn't realize there were advantages to being high maintenance.LOL

I consider myself low maintenance.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Calicali - You are wrong.

I came into our marriage owning two businesses, two homes, two degrees, multiple cars, and many other assets that I've worked all my life for. When I first met my husband he was regaining his footing after a serious financial set-back. He had liabilities and was far less financially stable than I was. Yet, he impressed me with his willingness to share whatever he had. And he also impressed me with his drive, his intelligence, his kindness, his optimism and zest for life, etc. Plus, he looks like a Greek God. I can hardly keep my hands off him. He's my kind of guy!

Since we married my husband has rebuilt his businesses from ground zero and I'm happy to report that they are thriving, but it wasn't always so. However,
I wasn't worried. We are both hardworking, ambitious people. We are like-minded, share similar values, have similar goals, and we aren't keeping score.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 06-11-2010 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM

> This is the whole reason why married men die 10+ years earlier then their wives; they're working all the time under stress and fustration trying to take care of their women and spoiled, ungrateful American children.

I think you need to further your research on this. Studies show that married men actually live ten years longer than unmarried men. Married men adopt healthier lifestyles and take fewer risks.And take note (this is a subject near and dear to your heart) married men earn more money than unmarried men.You might take a look at the actual research that's been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships