Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yup.
That one was my wild guess as well. I went with the name that seemed more indicative of 18th century. Later I looked up the individual and found them to be quite interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM

138 posts, read 181,699 times
Reminds me of a discussion I just had. I was defending the Muslem faith in another chatroom, as it was being attacked from the perspective of terrorism. I pointed out that those terrorists are not supported by their faith; they are abusing the word of their God. In any case, many people got upset with me and stated they had "many problems" with the Muslem faith. I asked for examples and no one had any. It is so sad to me that the entire faith is to blame for terrorism! Would Christians be happy if extremists committed mass crimes against humanity, claiming the Bible had directed them to do so?

Thanks for this news report . . so fascinating . . and so predictable, too!

You're a great group, friends!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
In any case, many people got upset with me and stated they had "many problems" with the Muslem faith. I asked for examples and no one had any.
Not in the least bit surprising. Often you will get the cut and paste posting of out of context or arcane quotations from Qur'an - just as anyone could do from the Bible - which is suppose to present some in depth knowledge of Islam. Pretty pathetic actually.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
I received a score of 100%...but that is not surprising to me. One has to actually examine other religious beliefs in order to know something about them...and one also has to examine their own belief in order to know something about it....other than what one is told and taught by their preacher.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's pretty much it. If you were an employer you'd be more likely to hire someone who can think rather than someone who has simply rote memorized.
Using children in that way truly DISGUSTS me to no end.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Researchers from the independent Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life phoned more than 3,400 Americans and asked them 32 questions about the Bible, Christianity and other world religions, famous religious figures and the constitutional principles governing religion in public life.

On average, people who took the survey answered half the questions incorrectly, and many flubbed even questions about their own faith.

Those who scored the highest were atheists and agnostics, as well as two religious minorities: Jews and Mormons. The results were the same even after the researchers controlled for factors like age and racial differences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us/28religion.html

U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life (http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx - broken link)

I'm probably just missing it, but do either of these links have the survey itself? I'd like to take it to see how I fare

Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Fun Quiz. I scored a 100%, but there were two questions that were somewhat poorly written...in other words, there could arguably be two correct answers. I won't give them away though. I also guessed on the last one. It was between two and luckily chose the right one.

Light111, here is the link:

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us...edge/intro.php

Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
I'm probably just missing it, but do either of these links have the survey itself? I'd like to take it to see how I fare
U.S. Religious Knowledge Quiz

Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Thanks Fullback32! I enjoyed that! I think a lot of people are trying to take the survey at the same time, because the connection kept timing out between questions! If you stay the course you can keep clicking "reload" and you'll eventually make it all the way through . . . definitely had to guess on that last question, as many said. All told, I scored only 87%! I expected to score higher. Guess there's always room for further learning!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 AM

174 posts, read 570,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That one was my wild guess as well. I went with the name that seemed more indicative of 18th century. Later I looked up the individual and found them to be quite interesting.
I got that one wrong. But the rest of them seemed dead easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality