Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,705 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that's gay. But I want him to be STRAIGHT.
I just read a thread about where the bible says homosexuality is wrong.
I want him to be saved though. What should be done?
Any scriptures in the bible about how to overcome homosexuality?
If not, how should he?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:58 PM

485 posts, read 1,647,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
If not, how should he?
Here are the scriptures that the Bible has in reference to homosexuality. Romans 1:26-32 and I Corinthians 6:9-11. There may be more but this is what I found today.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
If not, how should he?
If you are a Christian, pray for your friend and be Jesus to him. If you aren't sure what that means, start reading the gospels. Jesus teaches us all how to deal with and overcome all sin. Homosexuality or other.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
First of all, remember that though you desire this of your friend, he may not desire to "become straight," or even to become Christian. By all means, if you feel comfortable, talk to your friend about it, but don't become a religious harpie.

But it just might be that he likes his homosexuality. Your "want" has little influence on the equation 1 man/woman = 1 happiness.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:16 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
If not, how should he?
In order to find salvation, he needs to understand the immensness of the sacrifice that Christ made to wash us clean of our sins and then accept that sacrifice. When your friend does this, he can also ask Christ to come into his life, give control to Christ, and ask Christ to begin changing him from the inside. Every person struggles with sin. They key is to recognize the sin, admit that it is a sin, decide that you no longer want to commit the sin.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
In order to find salvation, he needs to understand the immensness of the sacrifice that Christ made to wash us clean of our sins and then accept that sacrifice. When your friend does this, he can also ask Christ to come into his life, give control to Christ, and ask Christ to begin changing him from the inside. Every person struggles with sin. They key is to recognize the sin, admit that it is a sin, decide that you no longer want to commit the sin.
But it's more than just a sin.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
But it's more than just a sin.
How is it more than just a sin? You think it is too big for God to release you from? You think it is a greater demon than any other sin one may struggle with.

MBG

Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Sin or not, it's not something he has any control over. Give him the info about Christianity and let him be. Take it from someone who struggled to reconcile religion with gayness: it can't be done. It ends in suicide, rejecting religion altogether, or leading some sad, sad, sad half-life like Ted Haggard.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Sin or not, it's not something he has any control over. Give him the info about Christianity and let him be. Take it from someone who struggled to reconcile religion with gayness: it can't be done. It ends in suicide, rejecting religion altogether, or leading some sad, sad, sad half-life like Ted Haggard.
Yes, I agree... say your (Chicagoland's) peace, and then leave him to his. Nobody can change anyone, and really why should he feel compelled to do so? You can have your beliefs, but that doesn't mean everyone must conform to them. I'm sure you do things he might not agree with, but if you're really good friends, you will accept each other "as is".

And just because you want him to be straight, does that mean he should fulfill YOUR needs? I'd love my best friend to never drink alcohol again, since she's too prone to alcoholism (and turns into a maniac), but I'm not going to preach at her about it... we're both adults, and should be free to make these decisions for ourselves. If SHE wants to change, great, but it's not my place to make it happen.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:33 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
How is it more than just a sin? You think it is too big for God to release you from? You think it is a greater demon than any other sin one may struggle with.

MBG
It's a condition......an orientation. The sin is the sex act itself, not the condition of being gay. That's what I'm talking about. There are people that have struggled and PRAYED for YEARS to be freed from homosexuality, and it hasn't happened. They may be able to live celibate lives, but that doesn't take away their desires for love and romance with another human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality