Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times

Advertisements

The book says Christians are the only ones who will rise up from the grave, float away on a cloud, pass through pearly gates, walk streets paved with gold, have a meal prepared for them by the creator etc. Then I suppose all of you good buddies can watch those who are sceaming and burning for after dinner entertainment. Is that about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
If I may quote a line from Monty Python's Flying Circus...

"Oooh, a witch! May we burn her?"

Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,463,010 times
As a Catholic, no, I do not believe that people of other faiths will be going into any eternal flame. As a matter of fact, even people who have no religion, but live their lives in a humanitarian fashion (being thoughtful of others, helping less fortunate, being tolerant and not judgemental, and not committing any grave sins such as murder, etc.) will all find their way home. But maybe that's just me and my idea of heaven. I'm just a pretty accepting person of all people - as long as they do no harm. In the end, it won't be me judging them. I only need to worry about how I will be judged.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
As a Catholic, no, I do not believe that people of other faiths will be going into any eternal flame. As a matter of fact, even people who have no religion, but live their lives in a humanitarian fashion (being thoughtful of others, helping less fortunate, being tolerant and not judgemental, and not committing any grave sins such as murder, etc.) will all find their way home. But maybe that's just me and my idea of heaven. I'm just a pretty accepting person of all people - as long as they do no harm. In the end, it won't be me judging them. I only need to worry about how I will be judged.
Well...at least you have conjured up a workable plan though it doesn't even resemble most of the writings in the new testament of Jesus Christ. There are 162 mentions of hell in the book...70 of them by Jesus himself. There have been billions of hell fire and damnation sermons preached and now that the concept has become unreasonable and illogical to four of every five people the church is claiming poor translation.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
The book says Christians are the only ones who will rise up from the grave, float away on a cloud, pass through pearly gates, walk streets paved with gold, have a meal prepared for them by the creator etc. Then I suppose all of you good buddies can watch those who are sceaming and burning for after dinner entertainment. Is that about right?
No. We will be rejoicing in heaven with our heavenly father. Too busy in eternal happiness and fulfillment to watch the likes of arrogant sinners get their day of retribution. It's horrible it has to come to that but honestly I'm losing more compassion everyday for them. People these days purposefully mock God and Christians. And they do this out of the evilness of their hearts. They could be busy doing something else but that is what they chose to do. It's pure hatefulness and I have no compassion for these people. When Jesus comes back in full force, I hope you have enough confidence to face him. Don't go hiding in the caves like the bible says you would.

And something else I don't understand, instead of sitting there mocking God every chance you get and knowing your fate for it, why don't you repent for your sins? I can't comprehend in my mind how people just throw their lives away with God and accept that they will be going to hell. I just can't. Why wouldn't you want to go to heaven? Why wouldn't you want to look forward to something as magnificent as heaven after you die from this earth? That is so crazy to me!

Old 06-25-2010, 03:26 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Sounds good to me.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:59 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No. We will be rejoicing in heaven with our heavenly father. Too busy in eternal happiness and fulfillment to watch the likes of arrogant sinners get their day of retribution. It's horrible it has to come to that but honestly I'm losing more compassion everyday for them. People these days purposefully mock God and Christians. And they do this out of the evilness of their hearts. They could be busy doing something else but that is what they chose to do. It's pure hatefulness and I have no compassion for these people. When Jesus comes back in full force, I hope you have enough confidence to face him. Don't go hiding in the caves like the bible says you would.

And something else I don't understand, instead of sitting there mocking God every chance you get and knowing your fate for it, why don't you repent for your sins? I can't comprehend in my mind how people just throw their lives away with God and accept that they will be going to hell. I just can't. Why wouldn't you want to go to heaven? Why wouldn't you want to look forward to something as magnificent as heaven after you die from this earth? That is so crazy to me!
How very Christian sounding of you.
"Judge not lest ye be judged"
I'd be checking my GPS if I were you to make sure which direction you're heading

Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
If after living a life worthy enough to make you one of the chosen few you are now going to gloat over your good fortune and others misfortune? and revel in their demise?me thinks some one has a ways to go yet..
Personally i'd feel sorry for all of them and wish they could be also saved.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
I'm sure you're quite sincere here, but it comes across as downright wicked. How can a person believing that they are going to be in a heaven with the sort of mental faculties that must enable them to know every minute of eternity that there are millions tormented in Hell at that very moment, suppose that they can just put it out of their minds, or say 'well, they had their chance so they had it coming and get back to chanting Hallelujiah?

I'm sorry, it makes no sense to me. It seems as foolish as saying 'Why don't you spend every minute of the day glueing your toenail clippings to the wall??? That way the aliens won't abduct you and torture you while keeping you alive for ever!! There's no good evidence for it....but you can't disprove it!!!'.

It isn't wickedness but its just using the brains we have been given to come to rational conclusions and no god or Jesus worthy of an instant's worship would condemn us that for that. Yet you do, using their borrowed authority.

"And they do this out of the evilness of their hearts. ....that is what they chose to do. It's pure hatefulness and I have no compassion for these people." That's pretty darn unpleasant and I wonder what a compassionate and loving god (Allah for instance) would have to say about that?

As for myself, I'd be quite willing to explain it all to a god that had any sense of justice and was not so petty - minded as to burn people for eternity just because they refused to believe without question one religious belief while rejecting all the others. No, I'd expect that god to give them a place in the afterlife for trying to use their god - given brains to the best of their ability and the ones who check their brains at the church door could be looking at recycling.

But you know, that wouldn't do for me. I couldn't live for eternity knowing that my fellow man was burning for a wrong decision. I'd beg and plead for you - 'What's the problem God? Can't you find room for them in heaven? What are you losing by giving them a second chance? Look, I can't be happy in heaven if they're burning, can you? As a merciful and loving God?'

I'd plead for you. Which is evidently more than you'd do for me. So who's the better Christian?

Quote:
So bearing in mind that you, while painting it in tinsel to make it look sparkly are actually being pretty wicked. The sin is yours rather than mine and a sin done by a believer is still a sin. Doesn't it bother you that you might find yourself being judged for lack of charity? Don't tell me that trying to sell me a religion that doesn't stack up is charity. It's no more than blackmailing me for something I haven't done.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:49 AM

651 posts, read 1,417,322 times
Quote:
I can't comprehend in my mind how people just throw their lives away with God and accept that they will be going to hell. I just can't. Why wouldn't you want to go to heaven? Why wouldn't you want to look forward to something as magnificent as heaven after you die from this earth? That is so crazy to me!
IMO, you have missed the point of the question, entirely. I don't think the OP believes in the concept of hell and he probably does not believe he will be going to a fictional place. He appears to be interested in christian's reactions to the thought of people being tormented forever. Your response shows the worst side of christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality