Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times

Advertisements

I was reading a piece concerning longevity and ran across a quandary...at least to me. If the promised land is so grand and if it will last forever why do those with assurance they will be there hang on to earthly things longer?

Churchgoers outlive non-churchgoers

"Those who attend religious services at least once a week have a 25 percent higher life expectancy than those who don't."

Mormons outlive non-Mormons

"Mormon men and women live 6.7 percent and 3.2 percent longer than those not affiliated with the Church of Latter Day Saints, respectively. "LDS Church doctrine promotes longer life among its members by discouraging use of tobacco, alcohol, coffee, and tea, and recommending a nutritious diet," explains Brigham Young University epidemiologist Ray Merrill, whose research yielded the findings."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:12 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I was reading a piece concerning longevity and ran across a quandary...at least to me. If the promised land is so grand and if it will last forever why do those with assurance they will be there hang on to earthly things longer?

Churchgoers outlive non-churchgoers

"Those who attend religious services at least once a week have a 25 percent higher life expectancy than those who don't."

Mormons outlive non-Mormons

"Mormon men and women live 6.7 percent and 3.2 percent longer than those not affiliated with the Church of Latter Day Saints, respectively. "LDS Church doctrine promotes longer life among its members by discouraging use of tobacco, alcohol, coffee, and tea, and recommending a nutritious diet," explains Brigham Young University epidemiologist Ray Merrill, whose research yielded the findings."
That's an easy one...Let me 'splain it to ya:
They don't seek to "hang on" or live longer, they just do. Here's why.....
Evolution demonstrates that, over time, the most desirable traits present most prevalently and commonly in the best adapted and "most fit" of a species. Contemporary Homo Sapiens present at a 80-90 percent rate with the trait of "Belief in a Creator, Higher Power, Great Spirit, God, Deity, etc". This is indicative of the "most fit". To not present with that trait is indicative of the weaker and "less fit" of the species. The "less fit" will, of course, have a lowered survivability.

One theory as to why this is--- As is evidenced by this forum, the stress and angst of being Atheist causes such tremendous inner turmoil for Nonbelievers that it manifests itself as toxic to their physical well being, as does any great stress...and they die younger than they would have. As an analogy---They prematurely "blow a gasket".

This proves that anyone that would desire to have the best chance at longevity would logically and reasonably do all they could to acquire the trait of "Belief"...and would logically and reasonably do all they could to avoid the trait of "Nonbelief". Also the greater the level of "Belief" (church attendance, deep devotion, modification of lifestyle to avoid conduct proscribed by the belief, etc) the more it will enhance longevity...of course, suicide-bombing missions excepted.

Summation: Be Atheist = Die Sooner....Be Theist = Live Longer

Last edited by GldnRule; 07-29-2010 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times
Gldnrule, love the splaination.
Melvin.George, Other than suicide, we don't have much control over how long we are here. With that in mind, and taking your premise as fact, that may be a good reason to consider a closer relationship with the creator.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,418 times
So its not really a belief in a god that makes you live longer.
Its good diet and controlling your emotions.
Sounds like us Buddhists should live longer

Old 07-29-2010, 12:39 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,634 times
I would guess that churchgoers, on the average, have larger social support networks than atheists. And Mormons are very tight-knit, so they might be expected to have even more well-developed networks as they age. Having a network of concerned friends looking after you in your old age ought to make for a longer lifespan on average.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
So its not really a belief in a god that makes you live longer.
Its good diet and controlling your emotions.
Sounds like us Buddhists should live longer
And had they been included in that little study....they would have found that to be true.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,018,634 times
Of course, becoming religious to extend your lifespan is a bit like joining a church because you like the music. It may be a benefit, but it's not the point.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
That's an easy one...Let me 'splain it to ya:
They don't seek to "hang on" or live longer, they just do. Here's why.....
Evolution demonstrates that, over time, the most desirable traits present most prevalently and commonly in the best adapted and "most fit" of a species. Contemporary Homo Sapiens present at a 80-90 percent rate with the trait of "Belief in a Creator, Higher Power, Great Spirit, God, Deity, etc". This is indicative of the "most fit". To not present with that trait is indicative of the weaker and "less fit" of the species. The "less fit" will, of course, have a lowered survivability.

One theory as to why this is--- As is evidenced by this forum, the stress and angst of being Atheist causes such tremendous inner turmoil for Nonbelievers that it manifests itself as toxic to their physical well being, as does any great stress...and they die younger than they would have. As an analogy---They prematurely "blow a gasket".

This proves that anyone that would desire to have the best chance at longevity would logically and reasonably do all they could to acquire the trait of "Belief"...and would logically and reasonably do all they could to avoid the trait of "Nonbelief". Also the greater the level of "Belief" (church attendance, deep devotion, modification of lifestyle to avoid conduct proscribed by the belief, etc) the more it will enhance longevity...of course, suicide-bombing missions excepted.

Summation: Be Atheist = Die Sooner....Be Theist = Live Longer
I am deeply impressed by this. It's one of the neatest 'Religion is good for you' packages I've seen in a long while.

It probably isn't true, actually, that religious belief makes you live longer. I couldn't find a study that produced any such findings(1) but I didn't look exhaustively.

I do know that the claim that atheism causes 'stress and angst' is a false one, based on the tired old theist ploy of accusing atheists of being angry, hateful, confused, suicidal and lacking in morals. One day, chum, such accusations are going to be actionable .

In fact deconverts have admitted that their attempts to believe the unbelievable caused them more stress than trying to work out their tax. Going atheist where they didn't have to shut an inquiring brain to inquiry was a blessed relief. Of course, no theist will admit to that...not even to themselves.

But even if the claim was true, it doesn't prove a darn thing about religion except that even if it wasn't true, evolution would have had to invent it because it gives a survival advantage.

(1) Ah..probably this is it. Careful - it has some darn advertising pop -up.
Of course it is not mentioned, is it, Gldnrule that excercise and diet is more effective still.
Regular physical exercise: 3.0-to-5.1 years
Proven therapeutic regimens: 2.1-to-3.7 years
Regular religious attendance: 1.8-to-3.1 years
It's called cherry - picking the facts.
http://www.livescience.com/health/06...urch_good.html

but another study says that relates only to women. It makes no difference to men.
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...elps_women.php
It could be a case of old bods find a purpose and community that gives them some meaning. I have seen one or two bods who lived only for their work died shortly after retiring.
http://www.webmd.com/balance/feature...le-live-longer

Now, I'll relate a theory of mine - that most people who say they believe, don't; not really. Since their behaviour and lifestyle would indicate that they are not overly concerned about whether they are living as Jesus would do. It's the cozy feeling of belonging, and to a club that makes them feel respected and accepted members of the community. Which is why it is so important to make sure that those who choose not to belong are made to feel that they are not.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-30-2010 at 04:37 AM..

Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I am deeply impressed by this. It's one of the neatest 'Religion is good for you' packages I've seen in a long while.

It probably isn't true, actually, that religious belief makes you live longer. I couldn't find a study that produced any such findings(1) but I didn't look exhaustively.

I do know that the claim that atheism causes 'stress and angst' is a false one, based on the tired old theist ploy of accusing atheists of being angry, hateful, confused, suicidal and lacking in morals. One day, chum, such accusations are going to be actionable .
You were joking as much with the bolded statement, as I was with the post, right AREQUIPA? I was hoping it would give everyone a laugh (though I have used the "evolution" angle before...and I believe it has merit), especially the "suicide-bombing missions excepted". I even cracked myself up with that one.

The assessment of "stress and angst" came from the known stereotype...and the empirical evidence of this forum, that demonstrates objective proof of it. I realize the sample is small...but I would submit, typically representative.

It will never be actionable...because you dupes have tipped your hand to the Fundie Christians (you gotta be covert man!), and now they are going to rally together, take over, and and convert all the schools to "St. Educate as I Indoctrinate", and you guys won't have squat to say abou...WAIT!...I'm doing it again...why can't I ever stay serious? I think I just like to laugh and joke around a lot.

Anyway...for whatever reason, I guess they found out Belief might add some years...which is good or bad depending on your circumstances. It may be like bonus laps...or not unlike a larger serving of rotten food.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You were joking as much with the bolded statement, as I was with the post, right AREQUIPA? I was hoping it would give everyone a laugh (though I have used the "evolution" angle before...and I believe it has merit), especially the "suicide-bombing missions excepted". I even cracked myself up with that one.

The assessment of "stress and angst" came from the known stereotype...and the empirical evidence of this forum, that demonstrates objective proof of it. I realize the sample is small...but I would submit, typically representative.

It will never be actionable...because you dupes have tipped your hand to the Fundie Christians (you gotta be covert man!), and now they are going to rally together, take over, and and convert all the schools to "St. Educate as I Indoctrinate", and you guys won't have squat to say abou...WAIT!...I'm doing it again...why can't I ever stay serious? I think I just like to laugh and joke around a lot.

Anyway...for whatever reason, I guess they found out Belief might add some years...which is good or bad depending on your circumstances. It may be like bonus laps...or not unlike a larger serving of rotten food.
Not at all. I am familiar with all the theist apologetics packages and the falsity of their argument and the 'religion is good for you' argument is a just one of them. I may write tongue in cheek but there's usually a serious point.(1)

I think your stress and angst assement falls under the 'Biased sample' fallacy. However, it certainly falls under the argument from intimidation fallacy and is irrelevant anyway to whether atheism is true or not. It might be less stressful to believe that everything is going fine in Afghanistan and the finacial situation is just peachy but not only is that questionable, it precudes doing anything to improve it.

Which is why your flawed 'rotten food' analogy is wrong. Given that our existence is only 'good in parts' some parts, as the curate said 'are excellent'. This is the only life we have, by all evidence, mate so I suggest you enjoy it rather than push it to the side of your plate and demand a better dish for your next life.

As for being covert, why should we be? We are not going to let the fundies drive us underground. Why should we not be up front about a requirement that atheism be given credit for as good as any other worldview and supported against denigration legally, if w can get it, for believe me there is no moral or legal argument why those of our view are not entitlesd to respect.

No, we are not afraid of 'tipping our hand' and having no hidden agenda as though we had something to be ashamed of. Unlike the Creationists who try to disguise their 'replace science with the Bible agenda' by pretending that it IS science.

I'll give you this, I am not sure what to make of you and maybe a lot of it is just kidding around. However, if it even LOOKS like a fakey theist argument, I am going to trash it and have a laugh while I do it, too.

(1)Others are the 'No morality without God' package, the 'History supports Jesus' package, the 'Proof through miracles' package, the 'divine instinct' package, 'Disprove God' package, the whole 'Watchmaker' package, the 'Hitler was an atheist package (incorporating the great atrocity count)' the 'Bible is true (incorporating proof from prophecy) package' and, of course, the 'appeal to numbers (incorporating the only 8% atheists)' package. And the most pernicious - the 'Pray to God' trial offer.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-30-2010 at 07:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality