Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM

454 posts, read 498,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't know about scripture but I do know a few things about dictionaries:

wor·ship (wûrshp)
n.
a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.
b. The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.
a. The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

=

I'm sitting at my computer looking at this photo taken from the Hubble telescope of two galaxies colliding 68 million years ago and I'm thinking, how picayune are these gods of man when compared to the size, breath and complexity of the universe.

And to discover the Law which makes what you're doing utterly sinful please read the following:

Deuteronomy 5:6-10
[6] I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.
[7] Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
[8] Thou shalt not make thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth:
[9] Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,
[10] And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

And you will note that Jesus was tempted with something akin to the temptation you are falling into:

Matthew 4:8-11
[8] Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
[9] And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
[10] Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
[11] Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Jesus will help you overcome your sinful nature because he is fully aware of the seductive power of temptation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman6 View Post
Q 1. Beautiful.

Rhetorical statement rebuttal 1. I must report that the immensity of God is beyond the comprehension of the human heart and mind.
This I agree with. The Creator (for lack of a better word) is incomprehensible. In light of this, it mystifies me why so many Christians (and Muslims for that matter) claim to KNOW it and make so many statements concerning its nature that, in their minds, are incontravertible. This, in essence, places the Creator into a nice, neat little box so humans can say, "Here, this is god...see? Believe it or else." I see the Creator (whatever it is) as much more than that and which is why I avoid making declarations concerning it. I have to think that at the end of life, humans of all faiths and beliefs will end up saying, "But I thought...."

Quote:
Even the fact that he made himself human, let alone the human whom he made himself into, is beyond our full comprehension. Stick with the creation if you don't want to be made to fill humble and powerless.
See. This is what I am talking about. It is not a known fact. We don't know that at all. Many believe that it is so, but it is certainly no fact. I certainly do not believe that the Creator made itself human at all. You, of course, are free to believe as you will.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:04 PM

465 posts, read 528,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
This I agree with. The Creator (for lack of a better word) is incomprehensible. In light of this, it mystifies me why so many Christians (and Muslims for that matter) claim to KNOW it and make so many statements concerning its nature that, in their minds, are incontravertible. This, in essence, places the Creator into a nice, neat little box so humans can say, "Here, this is god...see? Believe it or else." I see the Creator (whatever it is) as much more than that and which is why I avoid making declarations concerning it. I have to think that at the end of life, humans of all faiths and beliefs will end up saying, "But I thought...."

See. This is what I am talking about. It is not a known fact. We don't know that at all. Many believe that it is so, but it is certainly no fact. I certainly do not believe that the Creator made itself human at all. You, of course, are free to believe as you will.
great post.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Since it is all so much beyond comprehension, I wonder that you are so confident that we know anything about it. Are you so supremely confident in your own powers of perception that you cannot entertain the possibility that you might just be wrong?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post

That is what I am talking about. The fact that God Almighty, as omnipresent, majestic, sovereign, eternal as he is actually made himself human and walked the earth 2000 years ago is a fact which is so amazing that to believe it takes all other ideas of man and burns them.

I challenge you to go for a long walk and imagine that fact. That the Word, which is God, which is all around you, imbued with intelligence, wisdom, beauty, omniscience, compassion, made itself human and walked the earth only 2000 years ago.

Everything else becomes irrelevant and insignificant in the face of such revelation.

Isaiah 55:10-13
[10] For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
[11] So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
[12] For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
[13] Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
That is what I am talking about. The fact that God Almighty, as omnipresent, majestic, sovereign, eternal as he is actually made himself human and walked the earth 2000 years ago is a fact which is so amazing that to believe it takes all other ideas of man and burns them.

I challenge you to go for a long walk and imagine that fact. That the Word, which is God, which is all around you, imbued with intelligence, wisdom, beauty, omniscience, compassion, made itself human and walked the earth only 2000 years ago.

Everything else becomes irrelevant and insignificant in the face of such revelation.

Isaiah 55:10-13
[10] For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
[11] So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
[12] For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
[13] Instead of the thorn shall come up the fir tree, and instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle tree: and it shall be to the LORD for a name, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.
Just curious Roman, do you believe that the earth is young (< 10,000 years ), or old (over a billion)?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,955,296 times
Quote:
Including Christianity? Probably so I think. Interesting that a Jewish work is quoted. Including the traditions of my Comanche people? Probably so.

Quote:
Well, traditionalists such as myself, do so often. More so than you can imagine. We recognize the sacred in the trees, in the animals from the most majestic to the most humble, in the prairie grass, in the mountains, in the sky, in the stars, in the wind.

To the last statement, well once again, I don't know that the Creator made itself human at all. It is no fact. Revelation by whom? This revelation was not given to my people....well not until the Europeans arrived. They are mere men and their words when compared to their actions, in particular, hold little to no weight in my eyes.

Why are their words of any more importance or of any more truth than the words of my tribal elders? Because they were written in a book which was written by men? Sorry, I'll stick with my elders. I am not saying you are wrong. I am not saying I am right. I am saying, "We don't know." Then again, I am not trying to convince you or anyone else to believe as I do.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-10-2010 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Agreed. I find it hilarious that people think that someone who created all of this, would come up with such primitive plans and actions that are written in the religious texts.
Agreed...To equate the bible god, one who needs humans to worship and grovel to him, one who commits the most atrocious felonies upon humanity, one who has tendencies towards wrath, violence and vengeance....with this awesome and incomprehensible source of all...is...well...ya'll know where I'm going with this...

Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Just curious Roman, do you believe that the earth is young (< 10,000 years ), or old (over a billion)?
I believe it has been approximately 6000 years since the Fall of Man. The word which is translated as day in Genesis 1 is 'yom'. This word means an undefined time period, the length of time being indicated by the context in which it is used. So the actual age of the earth I am unsure of. Such knowledge is irrelevant to me. Yourself?

Do you think 1 000 000 000 years means anything in the hand of eternity?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Q 1. Beautiful. Rhetorical statement rebuttal 1.
I didn't bring my decoder ring. What is that suppose to mean?

Quote:
I must report that the immensity of God is beyond the comprehension of the human heart and mind.
That might true for some other god that yet to be brought into the discussion, but this god of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims just ain't up to the task. This god person, has revealed a whole lot of info to his chosen people and none of indicates to me a god who is capable of coming anywhere near creating what little we do know of the universe.

The universe is like god to the fact of a zillion, the god of Jews, Christians, and Muslims, seems like a god that can't handle much more than Simcity.

Even the fact that he made himself human, let alone the human whom he made himself into, is beyond our full comprehension. Stick with the creation if you don't want to be made to fill humble and powerless.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality