Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times

Advertisements

There was a movie called The Last Airbender that came into theaters this year. A lot of the fans of the show started making protests and trying to boycott the movie because of the casting of white people for the roles rather than asians, since the characters in the show were asian. They started ranting about how it was 'racist.' Here's a video of one of the people that thinks it's racist:

YouTube - The Last Airbender Film Boycott -- Video #22

There are a bunch of videos on youtube, similar to this one, that are wanting to boycott the movie.

There are other menial issues, like the one above that some people will blow out of proportion into making it seem as though it's some great crime and evil. Looking at the problems of the world, such things seem to be just useless whining. Some examples of real problems being:

the U.S. has an average rate of one suicide every sixteen minutes.

There are over a million children whom are physically and sexually abused every year.

Rampant gang violence, poverty and homelessness.

Real racism ie the KKK or neo nazis.

But these people are worried about the casting of a children's movie. There are other things too that some people will just fixate on rather than trying to find solutions to real problems that actually affect society.

Why is it that some people waste their time on trivial nonsense rather than trying to fix real problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,713 times
Perhaps the movie issue isn't as deep and serious as suicidal or children abused? It sounds more like complaints to me.

I think that there's a time to discuss issue like Racism, but the movie, imo, did it at the wrong time. I mean just flow with the TV shows. I understand that representing diversity sounds great but just follow the TV shows for now...If you want to represent diversity, then perhaps another movie might be better like Crash. Idk. I don't care much about the movie. Didn't like it.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvang View Post
Perhaps the movie issue isn't as deep and serious as suicidal or children abused? It sounds more like complaints to me.

I think that there's a time to discuss issue like Racism, but the movie, imo, did it at the wrong time. I mean just flow with the TV shows. I understand that representing diversity sounds great but just follow the TV shows for now...If you want to represent diversity, then perhaps another movie might be better like Crash. Idk. I don't care much about the movie. Didn't like it.
I hadn't really mean't for the topic to be about the movie and the whole 'racist' nonsense that alot of the fans of the show were doing. It was more of just what made me think of this-why do some people waste their time complaining about trivial issues(whatever they may be) rather than focusing on fixing real problems.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 09-22-2010 at 08:49 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
There was a movie called The Last Airbender that came into theaters this year. A lot of the fans of the show started making protests and trying to boycott the movie because of the casting of white people for the roles rather than asians, since the characters in the show were asian. They started ranting about how it was 'racist.' Here's a video of one of the people that thinks it's racist:

There are a bunch of videos on youtube, similar to this one, that are wanting to boycott the movie.

There are other menial issues, like the one above that some people will blow out of proportion into making it seem as though it's some great crime and evil. Looking at the problems of the world, such things seem to be just useless whining. Some examples of real problems being:

There are over a million children whom are physically and sexually abused every year.

But these people are worried about the casting of a children's movie. There are other things too that some people will just fixate on rather than trying to find solutions to real problems that actually affect society.

Why is it that some people waste their time on trivial nonsense rather than trying to fix real problems.
You already must know the answer...and it can be found in why you made this post...since you are essentially "wasting your time on trivial nonsense", by asking a few dozen strangers on an internet forum, "why people waste their time on trivial nonsense rather than trying to fix real problems".

Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You already must know the answer...and it can be found in why you made this post...since you are essentially "wasting your time on trivial nonsense", by asking a few dozen strangers on an internet forum, "why people waste their time on trivial nonsense rather than trying to fix real problems".
I don't see how I'm wasting my time on trivial nonsense. I'm not whining about anything or making some big issue about it. I've just never understood why it is that some folk do that. It tends to annoy me though when someone does this sort of thing then ignores actual problems.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This is a rare moment, I agree with GR. :\

Old 09-22-2010, 10:57 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
Quote:
I don't see how I'm wasting my time on trivial nonsense. I'm not whining about anything or making some big issue about it. I've just never understood why it is that some folk do that. It tends to annoy me though when someone does this sort of thing then ignores actual problems.
How is that not whining? I don't see how you're not doing the same thing, complaining about other people's shallowness.

Shouldn't you be trying to solve world hunger right now instead of making petty complaints online?! Quick, send me a 500-page plan. When you're done with that, we can move onto the cure to cancer.

Seriously though, people can't talk about deep stuff all the time. It's overwhelming. People need to be able to enjoy life and discuss issues they feel like they can solve, instead of just constantly feeling overburdened and helpless.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Quote:

Sometimes that's all that some people know how to do or what is comfortable to them. When life is going smoothe, those types of people will find even the most petty thing to complain about. Sometimes it's so ingrained that they don't realize they're doing it.

In my own life, when people start doing that, I try to get them to focus on positives to change the way they're headed with the conversation. I hate it when people complain. It's annoying and gets them nowhere.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM

I guess the thread topic was rather idiotic. I hadn't really thought about it at the time, but now looking at it again, it does seem rather moronic. I'd have to agree with nimchimpsky. Instead of complaining about someone else,(which now I've just realized is rather ironic) it would be better to not worry about what someone else does/doesn't do(instead working on such issues myself); and enjoy life as well. Thanks all for pointing out my error; it just took me a little bit more thinking about the issue, thanks to your comments.
Something that I've also just realized is that(as GR pointed out) is that posting this ridiculous thread was a waste of time. There's another bit of irony.

P.S. I apologize GR for the nonsense response I gave you.

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 09-23-2010 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Disregard the above comment. It seems that some posters are confused about what I was talking about. I probably shouldn't have put all of that crap about the movie since I hadn't meant for the thread topic to be about the movie. I had just been watching one of those videos and it just made me think of that so I just talked about it because it was just what I had been thinking about at the time. What the thread topic/question was just wondering why some folk whine and complain about some trivial thing, whatever that may be. I just always wondered why someone would complain about a trivial thing as if it were some terrible thing, but then ignore problems that actually affect society. I hadn't meant the OP to sound as if I were complaining about anything. It seems that it sounded that way to some posters so I apologize for that. Reverend1111 was the only one that seems to have understood what I was asking, and gave the kind of answer that I was looking for. It appears that I have wound up having a beastly number of posts in this thread, so I won't post in it anymore.(don't want to become obsessed with it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality