Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by jimmiej
Quote:
So you think I'm "faking" it? Why would I spend my time serving others if I didn't genuinely care? Doesn't God know what's in my heart?
Aren't you the 1 who said that you love your wife above all others? This means that if you have to choose between saving your wife or the rest of humanity you would save your wife.

Quote:
Absolutely! I think any married person would say that, unless they're in an unhappy marriage. I'm curious, are you married?
Nope.

Quote:
You are incorrect.

3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?" 4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
And where does it say that you should love your wife (or yourself) more than anyone else?
Did Jesus not say that only loving your friends is easy?
And if man and woman are indeed 1 than only loving 'yourself' (read: your significant other) is the easiest thing in the world.

Quote:
Several times in Scripture, Jesus made reference to His "friends". Every time, He was referring to those that believed Him & followed Him. When He sent out the 72, He told them to put a curse on anyone who would not listen.
So you actually believe that Jesus only looks out after his followers? Then why did Jesus ask his followers to also love those that don't love them (or don't follow Jesus)?
To treat complete strangers as they themselves would like to be treated?

Quote:
What should be the order of priorities in our family?
I don't have an order in my family, nor do I believe in hierarchies.
I only look at need to prioritise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:24 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Read the OT. Oh, and the "sacrifice" of Jesus in the NT. Of course you know the bible better than I do so I would have to look it all up and that will take some time as I don't know exactly where everything is. However, you know exactly what I'm talking about and where to find it so don't play dumb. You admit you read and study the bible so you know the answers. Yes, the God you worship killed and raped in the book you so much admire. When you come to know God as I have, you will understand that He is incapable of harming anyone no matter what they have done. It's not His true nature and personality. He is love, complete and unconditional. Love does not harm.
Not true.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by jimmiej Aren't you the 1 who said that you love your wife above all others? This means that if you have to choose between saving your wife or the rest of humanity you would save your wife.
That's true, but I can show love to many people at the same time.

Quote:
Nope.
That's why you don't understand.

Quote:
And where does it say that you should love your wife (or yourself) more than anyone else?
There are several special instructions about husbands & wives. A married man is to love his wife as Christ loved the church (Ephesians 5:25). Christ’s first priority—after obeying and glorifying the Father—was the church. Here is an example a husband should follow: God first, then his wife. In the same way, wives are to submit to their husbands “as to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:22). The principle is that a woman’s husband is second only to God in her priorities. A husband and wife are one flesh (Ephesians 5:31)

Quote:
Did Jesus not say that only loving your friends is easy?
And if man and woman are indeed 1 than only loving 'yourself' (read: your significant other) is the easiest thing in the world.
Yes, we are supposed to love our enemies.

Quote:
So you actually believe that Jesus only looks out after his followers? Then why did Jesus ask his followers to also love those that don't love them (or don't follow Jesus)?
To treat complete strangers as they themselves would like to be treated?
Jesus desires all to come to salvation. His priority is the Church. The Church belongs to Him. Unbelievers do not (at least not yet).

Quote:
I don't have an order in my family, nor do I believe in hierarchies.
I only look at need to prioritise.
priorities

Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,227,664 times
Originally Posted by jimmiej
Quote:
That's true, but I can show love to many people at the same time.
What you don't get is that what you're actually saying is that you love yourself before others, while Jesus is saying to love others (not only your significant other) like you love yourself.

Quote:
That's why you don't understand.
So you're saying that people who aren't married do not understand love?
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jesus not like me?
A man who never was married?

Quote:
Christ’s first priority—after obeying and glorifying the Father—was the church.
Maybe it was Christ's 1st priority, but not Jesus'.
According to Jesus the people are the church.
And not just his followers either.

Quote:
Yes, we are supposed to love our enemies.
Not just your enemies, everyone.

Quote:
Jesus desires all to come to salvation. His priority is the Church. The Church belongs to Him. Unbelievers do not (at least not yet).
Nope, Jesus' priority is the people, they are the church. He doesn't care whether they are Jewish, heathen, evil, rich or whatever.
According to Jesus his father loves everyone whether they follow him or not.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:39 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not true.
So you don't believe the OT? From what I understand, the God in the OT was angry and jealous and people killed in His name to appease Him. Are you saying you disagree with their concept or that you disagree with the OT?

Either you agree with all of the book and believe it to be infallible or you only believe some of it. You cannot have it both ways.

You have a mind of your own and can think on your own. Just because it's been taught to believe it all does not mean you have to. Believe in God and believe in Love. It's the only two things that really matter.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
So you don't believe the OT? From what I understand, the God in the OT was angry and jealous and people killed in His name to appease Him. Are you saying you disagree with their concept or that you disagree with the OT?

Either you agree with all of the book and believe it to be infallible or you only believe some of it. You cannot have it both ways.

You have a mind of your own and can think on your own. Just because it's been taught to believe it all does not mean you have to. Believe in God and believe in Love. It's the only two things that really matter.
You have an incorrect understanding. I urge you to read the book of Genesis & come to your own conclusion.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
You have an incorrect understanding.
Statements like this without the supporting rationale explaining the misunderstanding is pure nonsense and indicative of an opinionated but not knowledgeable debater.
Quote:
I urge you to read the book of Genesis & come to your own conclusion.
Translation . . . I don't agree with you but I don't have an answer why . . . so go find it for yourself.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,131 times
Quote:
You have an incorrect understanding. I urge you to read the book of Genesis & come to your own conclusion.
No, I have the correct understanding. Besides, you have to read the entire OT and not just Genesis. There is more than one book in the OT. My conclusions come from the entire OT library. I do like the book of Job and I like reading of Moses. They seem to be the most sane of characters. The people, not the book, make up life and I like their ideas. The Psalms are good but David isn't the only author.

Genesis by itself is only an illistration of the author and what he thought. We actually have a message from the writer. He states he copied after his own ancestors and that it was never meant to be anything more than just a story. It was never meant to be put into a book then proclaimed to be "the word of God" as that is not what they thought at the time.

Genesis is not a reliable book just as the rest of the bible. I think I will stick with God and Love and whatever may be, will be. I don't need to know anything else in this life. Love and God will get me through just fine.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej What you don't get is that what you're actually saying is that you love yourself before others, while Jesus is saying to love others (not only your significant other) like you love yourself.
Save your pyscho-analysis for someone else.

Quote:
So you're saying that people who aren't married do not understand love?
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Jesus not like me?
A man who never was married?
Jesus is God. He instituted marriage. It was His idea. You don't understand marital love.

Quote:
Maybe it was Christ's 1st priority, but not Jesus'.
According to Jesus the people are the church.
And not just his followers either.
His sheep are the Church.

John 10

The Shepherd and His Flock

1"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. 3The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

Quote:
Not just your enemies, everyone.
I agree.

Quote:
Nope, Jesus' priority is the people, they are the church. He doesn't care whether they are Jewish, heathen, evil, rich or whatever.
According to Jesus his father loves everyone whether they follow him or not.
Wrong. See bolded passage above.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Statements like this without the supporting rationale explaining the misunderstanding is pure nonsense and indicative of an opinionated but not knowledgeable debater.Translation . . . I don't agree with you but I don't have an answer why . . . so go find it for yourself.
Kinda like your answer to me here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post16412051

Pot, meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality