Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:10 PM

33,593 posts, read 37,230,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Mercury Cougar,

Please read my post again. This time without word prejudice or bias.

Religion = way of life.

Believing in no god and choosing a manner in which to live your life is a religion.

Sorry, but that is the bottom line, and there is no way around it.
Where did you get your dictionary?

Religion definition...a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Atheism is NOT a religion...Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 11-15-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,701,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Where did you get your dictionary?

Religion definition...a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Atheism is NOT a religion...Moderator cut: Orphaned
Amen, hallelujah. Preach it, brother Sanspeur!

Last edited by june 7th; 11-15-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 PM

478 posts, read 775,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Here's what I believe: that God is Infinite Love. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but do believe that we are spiritual beings in a material body. I think when we leave the body (death, for instance, lol), we become rejoined with the infinite consciousness of the universe....the same one we were joined with before our birth. It's then that we'll remember the eternal love of existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
You can't possibly be serious. You actually believe all that?
Proudmommy, your query implies that you find some sort of peculiarity with the tenet that tambre presented, and I'm curious as to why? And as well, what is it that you believe that, I'm assuming, must be very different for you to ask in the manner that you did?

And for the record, I'm with hoodsofATL in most of what was presented as his/her beliefs and ideaologies. I could probably add a thing or two but am not in the mood to go on a rant, so let's just say I pretty much agree. And as well with tambre.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,025,358 times
This is the webster's definition of religion:

The outward act or form by which men indicate their recognition of the existence of a god or of gods having power over their destiny, to whom obedience, service, and honor are due; the feeling or expression of human love, fear, or awe of some superhuman and overruling power, whether by profession of belief, by observance of rites and ceremonies, or by the conduct of life; a system of faith and worship; a manifestation of piety; as, ethical religions; monotheistic religions; natural religion; revealed religion; the religion of the Jews; the religion of idol worshipers.

It isn't just a way of living life, despite what someone on here would like to believe.

Here's my philosophy: Live well, laugh often, love much. Live life to the fullest and don't waste time on nonsense.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:56 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,221,439 times
So it seems that "religion" implies some sort of worship type experience, or recognition of a higher or more mysterious power. A 'something' that is above and beyond one's own self.

Nope, I don't think that Atheism could be classified as a religion.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,713,103 times
Many theists just cannot grasp the concept of one not practicing a religion, they seem to forget that we are ALL born atheist, it is, after all, our natural state is it not?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:01 AM

964 posts, read 2,651,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Many theists just cannot grasp the concept of one not practicing a religion, they seem to forget that we are ALL born atheist, it is, after all, our natural state is it not?
Good point. We're all born atheist until some are brainwashed or convinced into or take on a religious belief.

That's why it is no coincidence that most countries (cultures) have a dominant religion. The US (primarily christian), Pakistan (muslim), and India (hindu) are good examples. Now why do you suppose that is? Just a coincidence? Or do people in those countries get brainwashed into whatever religion their parents believe in?

Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,054,497 times
Quote:

I am a theist and I can grasp the concept of one not practicing a religion. As to natural state? I don't know. I certainly had a pull towards a spiritual side and I was not indoctrinated in anything. I went through lots of different ideas from atheistic to theistic. I did not choose out of fear.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,156,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
You can't possibly be serious. You actually believe all that?
I do believe all that...yet, I'm open minded to continue searching for the truth. I'm still learning. What do you believe Proud Mommy? Whatever your beliefs are, I support them for you...but that doesn't mean they ring true for me. We all are unique, and have a unique understanding of our existence.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,701,995 times
Quote:
Many of them can't even accept that people can be born gay, much less born without need of a god, or belief in fairy tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality