Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well to lighten things up a little bit, here's a true story about tithing. It seems that one of my Irish ancestors had a little disagreement about tithing with the Catholic church in Ireland, seems as though the church didn't think he was giving them enough money, so he got pissed off with the church and decided to leave the Catholic church, well to show just how pissed off he was, at the time his wife was pregnant and when the child was born it was a girl and he named the child Orange, now his last name was Lemon. So that child was named Orange Lemon..... but when the child got older and they emigrated to the United States she changed her first name to Jenny........ true story and it's amazing what some of the Irish will do when they get pissed off...
That is hilarious ptsum ()...thank you for sharing!

Now...in regards to tithing...I do my best to be sensitive to the needs of those who are less fortunate at the moment...who could benefit from the little kindness one could spare.
Saying "go in peace and be blessed..." to one who is in need without alleviating a hunger or thirst is of nought spiritually!

Do unto others as you want others to do unto you...

Be well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Interesting thoughts on Tithing. I read somewhere about a man that said he never paid tithing to his church directly but gave it to the Churches college, and gave it to those he knew that were in need. One of his friends told him he was sure generous with other peoples money. The moral is that Tithing should be given to your church leader, or at least the local leader and allow them to disperse it as they see fit.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
it was a girl and he named the child Orange, now his last name was Lemon.

Good thing they didn't name her "Squeezema"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3tvHBawoDA

Old 01-15-2011, 04:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Interesting thoughts on Tithing. I read somewhere about a man that said he never paid tithing to his church directly but gave it to the Churches college, and gave it to those he knew that were in need. One of his friends told him he was sure generous with other peoples money. The moral is that Tithing should be given to your church leader, or at least the local leader and allow them to disperse it as they see fit.
I think I'm a better judge of who's more deserving. A person who hasn't had a bath in a week, or a church that's getting its light bill paid via donations.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Sorry, but this kind of thinking sickens me! His friend was way off base....someone else's money?! As if it's the CHURCH'S money! How dare churches think they have a right to their members' money. You give to those in need. If you'd normally "tithe" 10% of your income to the church, and you know a few people who could greatly benefit from that 10%, if split between them, why would you be foolish enough to hand it to the church leaders? Even if you told them about the needs of those you had in mind to help, what are the odds that your money is going to help them? NO, if you see a need, and someone is put upon YOUR heart to help, YOU need to help them.

If you want to get down to the nitty gritty here, GOD put those people on YOUR heart. He put them on your heart for a REASON! Perhaps money isn't the only thing they need. Perhaps you were put into each other's lives for a much greater reason. The monetary needs may only be the tip of the iceberg, the emotional/spiritual connection, that perhaps only YOU can provide (because of something GOD sees), could be the real reason they were put on your heart. Giving 10% to the church and handing out a name is simply unacceptable. IMHO

Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I don't have a home church as of yet, so where do I tithe? Is it ok to send my money to a charity? Or does it have to go to a church, or religious organization?

How about places like St.Jude, or World Relief, Red Cross and such! Joel Osteen ministries? Joyce Meyer? TV sponsors such as TCT........Anyone know where it should go?

I mean at some point it is not a tithe but a charitable contribution! So what do I do? Just pick a church and start sending them money?
Donate your money to a church if you would like to see it spent for buildings, stained glass, oak or mahagony pews, carpeting, building additions, musical instruments or sound systems, preacher's salary or expenses not to mention his car expenses, home or rent, youth programs for the children of the church members, religious retreats, Sunday school or vacation bible school, special drives like Lottie Moon, sending missionaries to other countries in an attempt to change their culture, etc. etc. etc. That doesn't even consider the 10% or more which gets sent to the church's convention or headquarters. On this avenue the poor folks rate a distant LAST!

Folla'??

UNICEF or operation smile is where our's goes:

http://www.unicefusa.org/?gclid=CO-X...FSVe7Aodj25xGA

http://www.operationsmile.org/

Last edited by Melvin.George; 01-15-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I don't have a home church as of yet, so where do I tithe? Is it ok to send my money to a charity? Or does it have to go to a church, or religious organization?

How about places like St.Jude, or World Relief, Red Cross and such! Joel Osteen ministries? Joyce Meyer? TV sponsors such as TCT........Anyone know where it should go?

I mean at some point it is not a tithe but a charitable contribution! So what do I do? Just pick a church and start sending them money?
Take a look around your community. I'm sure you'll find plenty of need on your own. All you have to do is look for the needy and worthwhile, charitable organizations right there in your own community! Don't forget to look around your own neighborhood! Ask your local school district even. Are there needy kids who need help with athletic shoes, assistance with sports physicals, health insurance coverage. There are a whole lot of ways you can make a difference, ways you might never even have imagined.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:14 PM

48 posts, read 64,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Donate your money to a church if you would like to see it spent for buildings, stained glass, oak or mahagony pews, carpeting, building additions, musical instruments or sound systems, preacher's salary or expenses not to mention his car expenses, home or rent, youth programs for the children of the church members, religious retreats, Sunday school or vacation bible school, special drives like Lottie Moon, sending missionaries to other countries in an attempt to change their culture, etc. etc. etc. That doesn't even consider the 10% or more which gets sent to the church's convention or headquarters. On this avenue the poor folks rate a distant LAST!

Folla'??

UNICEF or operation smile is where our's goes:

Help Children - UNICEF USA :: U.S. Fund for UNICEF :: U.S. Fund for UNICEF - UNICEF USA

Worldwide children
Right On!

Old 01-15-2011, 05:38 PM

179 posts, read 289,651 times
2nd corinthians 9:7

You cannot impress God by tithing( what does God need $ for?) Have you
seen what He has built, created. Tithing is for up keep of a building where
people go once or twice a week, It makes them feel good that they are part of a church and supporting it. Do you think God is impressed with
this? Organized religon is nothing more than a country club with paying members , (quit paying your tithes and see what happens).Of course they
have God as their marketing , so you don't want to offend God now do you. My ,if people would take responsibility for their salvation and quit
looking for the easy way out. Jesus had alot to say about organized religon in his time on earth, read Matt. 23, sadley not much has changed.

Salvation was never to be profited off of, in ANY form or fashion period.

remove the profitabilty from the churches and only then will you see what churches are true to God.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 661 times
I am so confussed about tithing, so many people have differnt opoins about this. I am just going to have to trust God and let him lead me. God's word says lean not to your own understanding, but let him (his Spirit), direct your path. I always , give back in any way I can, I think that is what God wants us to do but must important, God wants us to love him and each other and when we do that he will guide us about tithing and all else just love and ask God ,wait for the answer and let him speak to your heart, after all God judges our hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality