Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,036,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Yeah, every once in awhile it's nice to know who's giving you rep points so that when the opportunity comes up you can reciprocate...
dam, I can't annoy anyone on this thread.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:15 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,607,078 times
Quote:
Yeah, every once in awhile it's nice to know who's giving you rep points so that when the opportunity comes up you can reciprocate...
And also, don't be stingy...hoarding is not good.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to this person again"

Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,913,636 times
Quote:
...and it's nice to know just who thinks you're awesome!!

Old 03-25-2011, 03:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,255,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ireland thrashing England made my day!

made my day too m8

Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,913,636 times
Gentlemen,

I've been retired for some 7 or 8 years now and I'd like to offer some advice to others of you that are retired or on the point of retirement. Hopefully, this advice will help prevent any of the 'friction' between you and your good wife that can come when you spend a good part of the day 'under your wife's feet' as it were.... and help your retirement run smoothly.

It's important for we men to remember that, as women grow older, it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as when they were younger. When you notice this, try not to yell at them. Some are, well--a little over sensitive and as we know, there's nothing worse than an over sensitive woman.

Let me relate how I handled the situation with my lady. When I retired, it became necessary for her to get a full-time job, along with her part-time job, both for extra income and for the health benefits that we needed. Shortly after she started working, I noticed she was beginning to show her age. I usually get home from the golf club about the same time she gets home from work.

Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says she has to rest for half an hour or so before she starts dinner. I don't yell at her. Instead, I tell her to take her time and just wake me when she gets dinner on the table. I generally have lunch at the club, so eating out is not reasonable. I'm ready for some home-cooked grub when I hit that door.

She used to do the dishes as soon as we finished eating. But now it's not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after dinner.
I do what I can by diplomatically reminding her several times each evening that they won't clean themselves. I know she really appreciates this, as it does seem to motivate her to get them done before she goes to bed.

Another symptom of ageing is complaining. For example, she will say that it is difficult for her to find time to pay the monthly bills during her lunch hour. But, Boys, we take 'em for better or worse, so I just smile and offer encouragement. I tell her to stretch it out over two, or even three days. That way, she won't have to rush so much. I also remind her that missing lunch completely now and then wouldn't hurt her any (if you know what I mean). I like to think tact is one of my strong points.

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She had to take a break when she was only half-finished mowing the grass. I try not to make a scene. I'm a fair man. I tell her to fix herself a nice, big, cold glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and just sit for a while....and, as long as she is making one for herself, she may as well make one for me, too.

I know that I probably look like a saint in the way I support her. I'm not saying that showing this much consideration is easy. Many men will find it difficult. Some will find it impossible! Nobody knows better than I do how frustrating women get as they get older. However chaps.... even if you just use a little more tact and less criticism of your ageing wife because of the advice I offer here, I will consider that writing it was well worthwhile. After all, we are put on this earth to help each other.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,692,320 times
And how long have you been divorced now........Or at least been in the doghouse.....

Old 03-29-2011, 08:08 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,659,549 times
Seriously, Rafius, you can't be SERIOUS? I would have divorced you a long time ago. But I'm hoping that your entire post is a joke because being retired you should have learned how to cook and clean by now to help your wife. Does she do all the laundry too? I mean, after all she is cutting the grass!! And talking about aging, not good, really bad dude.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,607,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Seriously, Rafius, you can't be SERIOUS? I would have divorced you a long time ago. But I'm hoping that your entire post is a joke because being retired you should have learned how to cook and clean by now to help your wife. Does she do all the laundry too? I mean, after all she is cutting the grass!! And talking about aging, not good, really bad dude.
I think Rafius' post was done in a satirical manner Ilene.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,261,857 times
Rafius - thank you for the laughs!!! Needless to say - I will not be sharing that post with my hubby!!! Then again, he'll probably have forgotten it by the time he retires!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM

64,116 posts, read 40,420,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I think Rafius' post was done in a satirical manner Ilene.
Rather in the manner of Johnathan Swift's Modest Proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality