Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 PM

651 posts, read 1,419,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I guess those 'sinful' animals get what they deserve eh?
Ya' got that right and they smell good! More burnt offerings, FTW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 09:53 PM

16,292 posts, read 28,613,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If there is no god/creator, what causes bad things?
^^^^^^ #18

Chance! Forces of nature, physics, stupidity,

Fact, every tree growing will topple over at some point in time. Some will kill people when they do. It's just chance.

Fact, the surface of our planet is riding on tectonic plates, which move. At some point the pressure is released suddenly causing an earthquake, causing collapses, tsunamis, etc.

Fact, we are bombarded with cosmic rays constantly, and if a cosmic ray strikes a DNA molecule in just the right or wrong way, it creates a defect that may become cancer.

Fact, people do stupid things, which become lethal.

Fact, we will ALL die at some point in time (just like all trees will topple), it's not a bad thing, it just the reality of life and death that ALL living things experience.

And finally, you said;
Quote:
I wonder if any of you atheists can answer my question in post #18. You all blame God for everything bad, it seems you actually do believe in Him.
Not sure if it is a reading comprehension thing, or you really just want to try being argumentative, but I did not say that (see below), I referenced what many believers constantly are harping about, even to the point of saying there is no free will, thus even thoughts are controlled .

You (believers) give credit to your imaginary friend for all the good things that happen to you, thus reason (I know, reason is not the strong suit of those that believe in imaginary friends, but work with me here )....... where was I, oh yea,................ thus reason dictates that your imaginary friend should also be responsible for all the bad things that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Of course a great many believers say that their imaginary friend is in control of everything, down to every single detail, of who lives/dies, which women can get pregnant and which can't, who gets cancer, who doesn't....

Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 PM

465 posts, read 530,268 times
Quote:
No, you have not replied to the OP. I see that you are not going to. I didn't expect it. You have no opinion of your own. You're good at disrespecting others, though. I'll give you that much.
Likewise my good man.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 PM

465 posts, read 530,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
Ya' got that right and they smell good! More burnt offerings, FTW!
LOL.

The sin excuse is a usual cop out by christians. Just like any other religion, it's made up an explanation for why there is suffering. Other religions have karma/reincarnation and some have no reason.

In fact the karma/reincarnation viewpoint actually makes more sense than the christian viewpoint for why there is suffering.

For the christian viewpoint, there is suffering because of two people's mistake apparently 6,000 years ago. God chooses to let suffering happen with no real point in mind. One could suffer for 80 years, yet still have good morals, not accept christ, and burn in hell.

Or if you're of the calvinistic view, god purposely orders suffering on some people and purposely can send them to hell as well.

At least with reincarnation, there is a logical connection. You are at least "learning" from your suffering for your next goal in your next life.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:11 AM

20,484 posts, read 12,878,930 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist and I do not believe in god. Your response, perhaps not to me personally but directed at atheists, makes me wonder whether you actually read what I said; or, did you just react with a silly attack as you have no answer to my statements? Yup, I get a bit angry when I take the time to rationally answer a question and my answers are swept away with, "Welp, you must believe in gawd if you waste yer time thinkin about this stuff."
No, it was not directed at you personally.

Quote:
At any rate, the answer to your question in post #18 is nothing supernatural causes bad things to happen. From our limited human perspective of what is 'bad' and 'good', intelligent and non-intelligent events cause 'bad things' to happen and nothing supernatural is involved.
That's my point. If it's not supernatural, what is the cause? So you're saying it's our "lack of understanding". Are you implying cancer is maybe not a "bad" thing?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I was watching David Attenborough's 'Planet Earth' last night. Elephants dying slowly from thirst, a gazelle torn apart whilst still alive by hunting dogs etc...wonder what their 'sin' was??
Here's what I actually said:

Quote:
According to Christianity, the simple answer is...SIN. See Genesis 3. The effects of sin are visiting themselves randomly upon the Earth.
Because of the "curse" of sin, bad things happen to the entire creation.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Of course a great many believers say that their imaginary friend is in control of everything, down to every single detail, of who lives/dies, which women can get pregnant and which can't, who gets cancer, who doesn't.... soooooooooooo................... the question posed is in error, as it should be;
Actually, Scripture indicates that He knows everything that happens, but does not neccesarily act on every detail.

Quote:
Why is god so hostile to human and all other life forms?
Once again, The effects (or curse) of sin are visiting themselves randomly upon the Earth.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^ #18

Chance! Forces of nature, physics, stupidity,

Fact, every tree growing will topple over at some point in time. Some will kill people when they do. It's just chance.

Fact, the surface of our planet is riding on tectonic plates, which move. At some point the pressure is released suddenly causing an earthquake, causing collapses, tsunamis, etc.

Fact, we are bombarded with cosmic rays constantly, and if a cosmic ray strikes a DNA molecule in just the right or wrong way, it creates a defect that may become cancer.

Fact, people do stupid things, which become lethal.

Fact, we will ALL die at some point in time (just like all trees will topple), it's not a bad thing, it just the reality of life and death that ALL living things experience.
If this is the way nature works, why are these things considered "bad"?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
Likewise my good man.
Give me one example in this thread.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 AM

33,633 posts, read 37,294,099 times
Quote:
If this is the way nature works, why are these things considered "bad"?
What make you think they are considered bad? Nothing in nature is bad, including death. It is just the way nature works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality