Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
fractured_kidult. I have no idea what your are talking about. Could you give us a little more detail here?
Okay, first when was the bible written? Before or after the events that where predicted happened. If any of the events happened before it was printed then they are in there because of something that actually happened. Not prediction.

If a prediction in the bible is happening now, then the chances of someone influencing it to happen is quite logical.

Logical reasoning. Back then it was good to know your enemies tactics, just as football coaches study the opposing team before the game. The military of the time would have known this as well. Back then, military and politics went hand in hand, as it does today. Military leaders would have shared their info with political leaders.

If I took over a city, the first thing I would do is protect it. Back then, they build walls, and they built them well. Very common thing to happen.

Predictions are vague, and for a reason.

Goodnight for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Okay, first when was the bible written? Before or after the events that where predicted happened. If any of the events happened before it was printed then they are in there because of something that actually happened. Not prediction.

If a prediction in the bible is happening now, then the chances of someone influencing it to happen is quite logical.

Logical reasoning. Back then it was good to know your enemies tactics, just as football coaches study the opposing team before the game. The military of the time would have known this as well. Back then, military and politics went hand in hand, as it does today. Military leaders would have shared their info with political leaders.

If I took over a city, the first thing I would do is protect it. Back then, they build walls, and they built them well. Very common thing to happen.

Predictions are vague, and for a reason.

Goodnight for now.
Well the fact that it is a prophecy means the events occured after they were written. And these events occured thousands of years after the prophecy was made. So we are not talking about back then. Many of the prophecies found in the Bible are very detailed and are not vague at all. Case in point. In the Book of Ezekiel it states that in the latter days, and shortly before the God of all creation returns to this world. The Jewish people would first return from a worldwide exile. They would retake south Israel first, which they did in (1948). And second they would retake Jerusalem which they did in (1967). Now this prophecy occured and perhaps with a little more speed when Jews were trying to escape Hitlers Europe. The free nations did not allow the vast majority of Jews to escape to their countries. So a number of Jews returned to Israel. And this trend continued till this very day. In 1967 the Arab nations attacked Israel, yet Israel turn the tide of battle and marched into Jerusalem. Neither Hitler, or the Arab nations wanted to see Bible prophecy fulfilled. However, world events forced these prophecies to be fulfilled. And this had nothing to do with the desire of Israels enemies. The prophecy tells us that in the latter days this return of the Jews to Israel would anger many nations around the world. And this anger will lead to one of the last great wars on earth. And the focus of world attention will be on the Middle East. The fact is the Bible is filled with such detailed prophecies. And to try and dismiss them as to nothing more than a logical occurrence. Would be pretty illogical.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:46 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Genesis 1:26

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Who is us?
RESPONSE:

Oh very well. I'll explain the four possible answers one more time for both you and Campbell. Or more specifically, I summarize the answer and if you are really interested you can read the rather interesting article on the web.

http://servetustheevangelical.com/doc/Is_the_Trinity_in_Genesis.pdf

Servetus the Evangelical outlines the various ways “we” and “us” in Genesis may be interpreted

(1) For Jews, they refer to the special group of angels which surround God’s heavenly throne and constitute his court

(2) For Christians (at least since the fourth century) they refer to the two other members of the Trinity

(3) These words may refer to a plurality of majesty

(4) Or that’s how God addresses himself

Servetus also points out an interesting problem with the Trinity theory. If, as claimed in scripture, God is a trinity and created man in his image, then man would have three persons too.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-01-2011 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Corrected [SIZE] problem

Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX1X View Post
I don't consider myself atheist, theist, agnostic, whatever.

But I have an opinion... how could there be a God? Every day, and I mean every damn day, bad things are on the news. Sometimes, it's very bad, like a murder or two. Or people getting their heads cut off in Iraq.

Every day, people (myself included) get up and go to work, we come back with these tiny paychecks, that are barely worth paying the bills.

Some people are stuck in an apartment, they get paid barely jack, they can't get laid or a house or a car. Where's God in that situation? Where's God's help?

I'm really curious. I don't consider myself atheist... but how could there be a God? Or is there a God... but he doesn't care about us?
Yes there is G-d....

He doesn't cause the bad stuff and he lets us live with the consequences...

But sometimes I am very angry at G-d....

But the reality is we can blame G-d for the bad or we can get off out azzzes and make things better....

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM

Campbell 34 posted:

>>And in the year 2007 it was said that 41% of the worlds Jews were living in Israel. And projections show us, that somewhere between the years 2030 and 2040 most Jews will be found living in Israel. Which is close to the Biblical timeline for the end time fulfillment.<<

RESPONSE:

Whose projections? Yours?

World Jewish Population | Latest Statistics

The worldwide Jewish population is 13.3 million Jews. Jewish population growth worldwide is close to zero percent. From 2000 to 2001 it rose 0.3%, compared to worldwide population growth of 1.4%.

In 2001, 8.3 million Jews lived in the Diaspora and 4.9 million lived in Israel. Just about half of the world’s Jews reside in the Americas, with about 46 percent in North America.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-01-2011 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: removed SIZEs

Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Campbell34 posted

>>Tell me, how would you apply the prophecies of Ezekiel 36,37,38,and 39 to the past? <<

RESPONSE:

Ezekiel the prophet preached to Jews of the Babylonian captivity from 593 BC to 563 BC.

If you state which specific prophecies you are talking about, we can analyze them.

Incidentally, it’s easy to write a prophecy after the fact, and then claim it was a prophecy that came true.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-01-2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Removed [SIZE]s

Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 AM

351 posts, read 355,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The triune God concept was not a product of the third or fourth century. And that is because it is clearly stated in First John chapter 2 verse 7.
"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: AND THESE THREE ARE ONE." And this writing agrees with Genesis 1:26. And both writings predate the third and fourth century.
Hi Campbell34, Just a point it is 1st John 5:7 and the words the Father, the word and the Holy Ghost were not in the original text but was added much later. It is easy to check out and even those who support the trinity consept will admit that it is not original but was added because it supports the trinity.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 AM

[SIZE=3]Campbell34 posted:[/SIZE]

And my next question would be. Do you even believe the Bible? Or do you believe it is just a Book of fiction inspired not by God but man alone?

RESPONSE:

I believe that the Old Testament contains some historical material but is largely folklore. The New Testament accounts were written long after the events they describe using popular legends that had grown about Jesus.

The non-divine nature of these writings is proven by the fact that they contain numerous errors and contradictions. I’ve already devoted a thread to this.

"For all the books which the Church receives as sacred and canonical, are written wholly and entirely, with all their parts, at the dictation of the Holy Ghost; and so far is it from being possible that any error can co-exist with inspiration, that inspiration not only is essentially incompatible with error, but excludes and rejects it as absolutely and necessarily as it is impossible that God Himself, the supreme Truth, can utter that which is not true.” [Providentissimus deus, 20]

The bible contains errors and contradictions; therefore, it cannot have divine authorship.

[Please limit your posts to one question if you expect a response].

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-01-2011 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Removed brackets

Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Campbell 34 posted:

>>And in the year 2007 it was said that 41% of the worlds Jews were living in Israel. And projections show us, that somewhere between the years 2030 and 2040 most Jews will be found living in Israel. Which is close to the Biblical timeline for the end time fulfillment.<<

RESPONSE:

Whose projections? Yours?

World Jewish Population | Latest Statistics

The worldwide Jewish population is 13.3 million Jews. Jewish population growth worldwide is close to zero percent. From 2000 to 2001 it rose 0.3%, compared to worldwide population growth of 1.4%.

In 2001, 8.3 million Jews lived in the Diaspora and 4.9 million lived in Israel. Just about half of the world’s Jews reside in the Americas, with about 46 percent in North America.
Actually the percentage of Jews living in Israel today was not a projection of mine. That percentage came from the Annual Report of the Jewish People Policy Planning Institute (JPPPI), a project of the Jewish Agency. And according to them 41% of all Jews now live in Israel. The report also states that unlike their Diaspora brethren, Jews in Israel "have relatively high and steady birth rates. And the Jewish population block in North America, with 5.7 million people, according to JPPPI, is decreasing rapidly. And for a number of reasons. And these results came from the 2007 report. Your 2001 report is a little old.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/124846

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi Campbell34, Just a point it is 1st John 5:7 and the words the Father, the word and the Holy Ghost were not in the original text but was added much later. It is easy to check out and even those who support the trinity consept will admit that it is not original but was added because it supports the trinity.
RESPONSE:

Yes. Interpolation (addition) seems to have occurred in the last chapter of Matthew too, ie. baptism in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

While we don't have copies of the original Matthew before 325 AD, Eusebius, a 4th century church historian, quotes the ending of Matthew a number of times based on the early copies he possessed. There is no mention of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Also, there are four accounts of baptism in Acts of the Apostles and one in a Pauline epistle. They are all in the name of Jesus alone, never a Trinity.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 03-01-2011 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality