Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So my question is this. How does one defeat their basic nature and get off this @&#king hampster wheel? And don't tell me religion is the solution, because it ain't...
You are missing the point, Chango . . . people use these material surrogate satisfiers BECAUSE they are not equipped innately with the requisite characteristics to get the satisfactions without them. What are they supposed to do . . . let the needs continue to get out of balance until they are driven to some drastic behaviors (like the Texas Tower or Columbine or . . . whatever) occur. Our materiality provides outlets for the myriad social psychological frustrations we humans are heir to. I prefer someone fall in love with sneakers . . . than molest children or rape and murder others, etc.,etc.,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So my question is this. How does one defeat their basic nature and get off this @&#king hampster wheel? And don't tell me religion is the solution, because it ain't...
Maybe it's not basic nature.
This is a capitalistic, materialistic society, as is any bourgeoisie society. People believe that possessions are the way to happiness and satisfaction, and determine the value of a person. The motto is: you are what you own.
Low self-esteem is epidemic. So they (the herd) runs, usually in meaningless circle, in a frenzy to gain status and possessions.
Like most bourgeoisie pursuits, this only burns out the people and leads nowhere. But they're not about to stop and think it over.
That's why this society is hollow. People avoid anything which requires thought. The mass media is a good barometer, it shows how hollow society is. There is nothing spiritual about this materialistic society.
You're right, religion is not the solution. Mindless people jump up, extend their hands upward, shout 'Jesus', and believe they are spiritual.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,932,345 times
It's simply "survival of the fittest" run amuck.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:47 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans' self-esteem rides on the status of their material possessions, people preoccupied with trying to impress each other.
So, the Joneses are the role models for the nation.
You are pigeonholing. Not all of us are materialistic, nor do we all care if we impress others, or what others think of us. Have you read this book? There are many of us quietly living our lives in very simple ways.
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s...llionaire.html

Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Maybe it's not basic nature.
This is a capitalistic, materialistic society, as is any bourgeoisie society. People believe that possessions are the way to happiness and satisfaction, and determine the value of a person. The motto is: you are what you own.
Low self-esteem is epidemic. So they (the herd) runs, usually in meaningless circle, in a frenzy to gain status and possessions.
Like most bourgeoisie pursuits, this only burns out the people and leads nowhere. But they're not about to stop and think it over.
That's why this society is hollow. People avoid anything which requires thought. The mass media is a good barometer, it shows how hollow society is. There is nothing spiritual about this materialistic society.
You're right, religion is not the solution. Mindless people jump up, extend their hands upward, shout 'Jesus', and believe they are spiritual.
The herd (as you call them) may just not be as egotistical and ego-centric as those whose unwarranted self-esteem makes them feel so far above and superior to the poor bourgeoisie mired in their capitalist delusions, Visvaldis. In fact, those feelings of superiority and disdain may just serve the same role in satisfying the social psychological needs of the egocentric egotists as the material objects do for the herd. What do you think . . . make sense?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:26 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The herd (as you call them) may just not be as egotistical and ego-centric as those whose unwarranted self-esteem makes them feel so far above and superior to the poor bourgeoisie mired in their capitalist delusions, Visvaldis. In fact, those feelings of superiority and disdain may just serve the same role in satisfying the social psychological needs of the egocentric egotists as the material objects do for the herd. What do you think . . . make sense?
Can you put this in plain English for a former Marine?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Can you put this in plain English for a former Marine?
It would violate the TOS if I did. It was directed at Visvaldis, period.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are pigeonholing. Not all of us are materialistic, nor do we all care if we impress others, or what others think of us. Have you read this book? There are many of us quietly living our lives in very simple ways.
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s...llionaire.html
Agreed (though the link's requiring me to log in. You wouldn't be able to jot down the title somewhere so I know which book you're suggesting?).

Yes, and am I the only one on here that doesn't know what a Maybach is? From the text, I can guess it's a type of vehicle, yet this is the first time I've ever heard of it (suppose I'm even worse off than those destitute in a Favella of Rio then).

Actually, for me I try to avoid all those flashy things that rich people tend to collect. I love my Buick, wouldn't want a Lexus or Bentley (or any other flashy car) and really don't care much for beach front houses--this trailer here with the beautiful fake wood paneling is what I'm content with for the moment (would like a fire-place though).

Don't get me wrong--I do enjoy owning things: I love to buy books and love to travel. It's just that I'm not concerned with what other people have. I actually try to avoid new, flashy things (especially technology, like all those "i" things--why does is have to be "i" anyway?).

I'm just curious as to what psychology is going on in my situation. For instance, I've often heard that people are social creatures, but for me I would consider myself more of a loner by nature, at least relative to other people (for instance, I prefer to travel by myself, which I've heard is a bit odd). Could this have something to do with how I'm not very particular as to what other people have, as long as I'm satisfied with what I have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality