Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times

Advertisements

I believe in God and I don't do rituals, I don't "go to" church, and I don't think God needs us, I don't think God needs to be appeased, I don't think He needs our adoration or worship. I don't think God is the ego-maniac that most folks (who believe) make Him out to be. I don't think God needs ANYTHING.

And I am not scared of Him.
In Awe. Yes.
Fear as in " God is going to squash me like a bug if I don't make him happy!" NO.

Quote:
Why is God not content with human beings who are decent, kind and morally upright, people who no matter what their faith ( or lack of thereof ) contribute in a positive manner to this universe he/she created ?
I think that He is, actually. I think God sees the heart.
Loving what He has created, (including this earth, human beings, animals, etc.) and treating what He has created with love and respect. Focusing on Love. I am not into this "make a decision for Christ! Hurry up and believe the right thing before you die".

I believe God is love. I believe those who follow the path of love, (1 Corinthians 13) are the ones who are close to God. Labels don't mean a thing. If an atheist gives aid to a person out of LOVE and compassion for that person, the atheist is closer to God than a "Christian" who gives aid to a person out of "hope for reward" in the afterlife.

I know an atheist will say "but I don't belive in God!! how can I be close to something I don't believe in??" Yeah, I KNOW you don't believe in God. But I'm saying.. because I DO believe in God, this is my view. I see you as being CLOSER to God even though you don't believe in God.

lol. I am making sense to me. I don't know about the rest of you.

Two commands.. both have to do with love.
Love God with all your heart, mind and soul - The way I view that is NOT that God needs this love FROM us. Or that it is about HIM. I see this command as it being about US. His love for us is the motivator behind that command. This command is a PUSH for us to get to know Him. There is no way in hell, I could love a being who would be capable of creating an eternal torture chamber. It's not happening. I would abhor that being. No love at all. I think the "Love God" command really, truly was to PUSH us, make us unravel things, tear things apart and look at them and rightly divide what is of God and what is not. He wants us to know His true character. For OUR benefit. Not His.

People blame God for all sorts of things. But we're living in this world of contrasts for a reason. My loved one's cancer didn't come from God. It didn't come from "her sin". But I do see how we as mankind have NOT LOVED this earth and each other and have poisioned this earth, and poisoned each other and how all sorts of maladies and diseases have inadvertently been created out of NON-LOVE. Look around at mankind has done to this earth and each other when not practicing and pursuing love. Mankind is like a cancer. We are learning. I believe Love conquers all.
Everything happening... we're walking through this contrast of dark and light for a reason. We need to.

well now I've gone completely off topic... I guess I'll stop here.
I don't even know why I'm over here. I usually hang out in the christianity forum but everyone over there is driving me crazy right now because they won't shut up about God sending earthquakes to Japan.

Sorry for the ramble-a-thon.
just my opinions.
I respect other folks views and believe I can learn from everyone.
This is just a small little window into what I'm seeing over here on my little path of life. I'm just human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,401,374 times
God is just a mixture of advertising, marketing and motivation (fear and greed) mixed together in the proper proportions.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,943,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
God is just a mixture of advertising, marketing and motivation (fear and greed) mixed together in the proper proportions.
(Well, I personally don't agree that this is what God actually is), but I can absolutely understand that view.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Mooseketeer, I understand your being bemused as your whole post is a fallacy of "begging the question."

Your premise of God needing us is in error, as with your ad hominem claims against God, due to religion and people.

Religion is indeed man-made and has little to do with God, especially now.
The vast majority of believers do tend to stick to organised religion though, be it Animism or Christianity. The precepts passed from one generation of believers down to the next are all about God requiring certain rituals , worship and prayer.

I agree that religion is man made. But then again so to me is God.There would be no Gods if there were no humans. We created God . Because we need him/her.

It just amuses me that so many believers seem to believe that their deity really does require them to idolise and show adulation , there is a certain arrogance about it which genuinely baffles me.

I suppose the idea of this supreme creator would simply be too much to digest for many if he/she had no need of anything we poor little plebs that we are have to offer.

A supreme creator who needs absolutely no acknowledgement , thanks or praise and certainly no "no currying of favour" with him/her would seem rather pointless to the majority of believers I think.

The concept of a creator for the vast majority of people is dependent on a mutually dependent relationship in my opinion.

I apologise for my whole post being a fallacy.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,693,367 times
I have known people of different religions who do not go to a place of worship but believe. In their minds, they pray not because they think god needs them but the other way around. But, they do not care for organized religion.

I think a lot of the directing people into the place of worship has to do with what baxendale said in post 12. Religious leaders recognize they need to keep the pot warm and such social events, organized prayers, etc help prevent the flock from straying. If you tell them god requires these prayers, they will do it and lasting habits will form. It is about marketing, consolidating the current client base, which leads to consolidation of power. So, it is the religious leaders who actually need the people more than the 'god' they represent. Now if you can put it in a holy book that god requires you to pray etc, this whole scheme works so much better. Remember, all this is man-made, so it is the key men directing the religious movie that make god seem needy.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,557,329 times
The different gods get their power by their existence in the minds of believers, the only habitat they have. Without that, they cease to exist at all, and vanish completely.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM

335 posts, read 376,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Just the way it was presented. You certainly have a right to your opinion. It just sounded like a rant about the same thing over and over to me, but religious types do it too.

I guess the only way the doubt will ever go away is when HE shows up, if not, then this will always be a popular topic on discussion forums.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times
Quote:
Mooseketeer, I understand your being bemused as your whole post is a fallacy of "begging the question."

Your premise of God needing us is in error, as with your ad hominem claims against God, due to religion and people.

Religion is indeed man-made and has little to do with God, especially now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It just amuses me that so many believers seem to believe that their deity really does require them to idolise and show adulation , there is a certain arrogance about it which genuinely baffles me.

I suppose the idea of this supreme creator would simply be too much to digest for many if he/she had no need of anything we poor little plebs that we are have to offer.

A supreme creator who needs absolutely no acknowledgement , thanks or praise and certainly no "no currying of favour" with him/her would seem rather pointless to the majority of believers I think.

The concept of a creator for the vast majority of people is dependent on a mutually dependent relationship in my opinion.

Quote:
Just the way it was presented. You certainly have a right to your opinion. It just sounded like a rant about the same thing over and over to me, but religious types do it too.

I guess the only way the doubt will ever go away is when HE shows up, if not, then this will always be a popular topic on discussion forums.
Humans are notorious for not getting the point . . . but our ancient primitive ancestors were particularly ill-equipped for it. Their ignorant interpretations of God have been preserved and perpetuated in ignorance deliberately by religious leaders creating the current morass. God NEEDS NOTHING, period . . . but WE DO. God IS GLORY . . . nothing we do can add to or detract from it. etc. etc. etc. EVERYTHING we do is to aid us in achieving resonance with God's Holy Spirit, period.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,221,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Humans are notorious for not getting the point . . . but our ancient primitive ancestors were particularly ill-equipped for it. Their ignorant interpretations of God have been preserved and perpetuated in ignorance deliberately by religious leaders creating the current morass. God NEEDS NOTHING, period . . . but WE DO. God IS GLORY . . . nothing we do can add to or detract from it. etc. etc. etc. EVERYTHING we do is to aid us in achieving resonance with God's Holy Spirit, period.
That is a pretty presumptuous statement for the "royal we"? Seeing that god does not exist how does one achieve resonance with an invisible entity, I know, just make it up and pretend it is real.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,681,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Dead on, it was brought about to instill fear and hold power over the people, that was the times. Not anymore, so I find it sad that many still cling to the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality