Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

I've seen so many churches that state we accept everyone here...and it's purely bait and switch because you are okay with yourself then step by step a doctrine of conformity is introduced and you are told your old life wasn't any good and you have to change for Jesus and God ... I see this again and again...and it's the methods the churches are trying to make more Christians ... a perfect example of this is when atheist author Anne Rice converted to Catholicism and then a few years after ceased to participate with the Catholic church because of its hatred against gays. The bait and switch trickery is just astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:38 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Actually I think many churches are doing just the opposite, that is turning people away from Christianity.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
How are they doing that ? Don't you live in a non-religious city i.e., Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually I think many churches are doing just the opposite, that is turning people away from Christianity.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:41 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
You know I heard it direct from more than one pastor;s mouth that the infrastructure of the church attracts the more affluent in the society. Few modern churches have wooden pews these days and most have theater like chairs that fold away.

Of course anyone is welcome, the more seats filled is directly proportional to the taking err.. I mean offering.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:32 AM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How are they doing that ? Don't you live in a non-religious city i.e., Vancouver.
I live in Victoria and there are plenty of churches here, but when I read posts by some of the Christians here, read news of their anti gay stance, or see signs like those below...These are some of the things that tilts my thinking that way.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:54 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Artsy Guy I agree. True, many, many, many people are turned off by churches nowadays, but some are aware that they need to change up their stance so they try, in every way they can, to appeal to folks with catch phrases and an appearance of caring.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:05 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
I've seen so many churches that state we accept everyone here...and it's purely bait and switch because you are okay with yourself then step by step a doctrine of conformity is introduced and you are told your old life wasn't any good and you have to change for Jesus and God ... I see this again and again...and it's the methods the churches are trying to make more Christians ... a perfect example of this is when atheist author Anne Rice converted to Catholicism and then a few years after ceased to participate with the Catholic church because of its hatred against gays. The bait and switch trickery is just astounding.
It's not "new" the churches having being lying and filling folks with false hope and promises since time immemorial.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You know I heard it direct from more than one pastor;s mouth that the infrastructure of the church attracts the more affluent in the society. Few modern churches have wooden pews these days and most have theater like chairs that fold away.

Of course anyone is welcome, the more seats filled is directly proportional to the taking err.. I mean offering.
Well they usually only pull the switch after they have taken in plenty of righteous dollar bills. You know keeping up with the Jones' takes a lot of holy bucks.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Artsy Guy I agree. True, many, many, many people are turned off by churches nowadays, but some are aware that they need to change up their stance so they try, in every way they can, to appeal to folks with catch phrases and an appearance of caring.
In a way I have more respect for the church that's going to be upfront with you in the beginning. They take a stand and you know very well what side they fall on. I have less respect for wishy washy churches that try to message the issues and beat around the bush.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Well Christians aren't born Christian....so they have to recruit.
Especially children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality