Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
There are also many OT scriptures that leaves no doubt that the laws of Biblegod are "everlasting"...never to be changed or altered. This "New covenant" is just a cop out for the cherry-pickers.
Oh I absolutely agree with that statement.

When I was heavily involved in christianity I witnessed it constantly. Parts of the OT were applicable like decrying homosexuality, others, like stoning people caught in adultery, thrown out.

The NT is clearly a mish mash of old ideas and new ones but even Jesus, the great 'cornerstone' of the christian faith said contradictory things.

Just what did Jesus instruct them to take? (Matthew 10:10) Jesus instructed them not to take a staff, not to wear sandals. (Mark 6:8-9) Jesus instructed his disciples to wear sandals and take a staff on their journey.

The NT is probably far more contradictory than the OT. I was always told it was because the writers of the NT saw things from their point of view. But come on, how can eye witnesses get their stories so wrong.

How many women came to the sepulcher? John 20:1 Only one woman went, Mary Magdalene. Matthew 28:1 Mary Magdalene and the "other Mary" (Jesus’ mother) went.

What animals were brought to Jesus? (Matthew 21:2-7) two of the disciples brought Jesus an ass and a colt from the village of Bethphage. (Mark 11:2-7) They brought him only a colt.

The very fact that contradictions exist in this 'holy book' negate its holiness in my opinion. Purely a book written by ancient men, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
This is one of those cases where the "we are no longer under the law" card is conveniently used.
How...convenient.

But not to worry for those who are thinking of committing adultery with another man's wife or by marrying a second time.

There are always female slaves....
It was okay for a man to own female slaves and have sex with them. Just as long as he doesn't have sex with another man's slave. Because then he would have to ritually sacrifice a ram as a burnt offering. Because, you know...animal sacrifices and the smell of burnt flesh was pleasing to God and all that.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
No free pass from the Catholic Church, but most of Leviticus doesn’t apply to Christians - Acts 15:28-29 (USCCB - NAB - Acts 15)-

“'It is the decision of the holy Spirit and of us not to place on you any burden beyond these necessities, namely, to abstain from meat sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meats of strangled animals, and from unlawful marriage. If you keep free of these, you will be doing what is right. Farewell.'"
Total fail.

The only authority is Jesus.

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets...

All the laws still stand.

Matthew 19:16 Now someone came up to him and said, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to gain eternal life?” 19:17 He said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 19:18 “Which ones?” he asked. Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19:19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.” 19:20 The young man said to him, “I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws.

Jesus is the only authority. It matters not what Peter or Paul or anyone else said. It only matters what Jesus said.

If you commit Adultery, you forfeit your right to "eternal life."

Jesus said so.

Mark 10:2 Then some Pharisees came, and to test him they asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?” 10:3 He answered them, “What did Moses command you?” 10:4 They said, “Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of dismissal and to divorce her.” 10:5 But Jesus said to them, “He wrote this commandment for you because of your hard hearts. 10:6he made them male and female. 10:7For this reason a man will leave his father and mother, 10:8 and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 10:9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” But from the beginning of creation
10:10 In the house once again, the disciples asked him about this. 10:11 he told them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 10:12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Again, Jesus is the only authority on the subject. What Paul, Peter or anyone else says does not matter, since they are neither god nor the son of god nor Yahweh nor Casper the Friendly Ghost.

If you commit Adultery, you have violated the law and the Commandment, and Jesus said so. You forfeit your right to "eternal life." Too bad, so sad.

Luke 18:18 Now a certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18:19 Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good?18:20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’” 18:21 The man replied, “I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws since my youth.” 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” No one is good except God alone.

Again, Jesus is the only authority. What anyone else says is irrelevant.

Clearly, if you commit Adultery, you do not get "eternal life."

Apparently, some of you were "adult" enough to make the choice to commit Adultery, but you're not "adult" enough to accept the consequences of your actions. Accordingly, your preference is to see only what you want to see and hear only what you want to hear, and you cling to anyone who offers you an "escape clause" even though it is baseless and totally lacking in any authority. Too bad, so sad.

My advice is to ask for forgiveness, and maybe Jesus will, and then you'll have something nice to cherish while you burn in Hell for eternity.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Total fail.

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets...

Matthew 19:16 Now someone came up to him and said, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to gain eternal life?” 19:17 He said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 19:18 “Which ones?” he asked. Jesus replied, “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19:19 honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.” 19:20 The young man said to him, “I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws.

Jesus is the only authority. It matters not what Peter or Paul or anyone else said. It only matters what Jesus said.

Jesus said so.

Mark 10:2 Then some Pharisees came, and to test him they asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?” 10:3 He answered them, “What did Moses command you?” 10:4 They said, “Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of dismissal and to divorce her.” 10:5 But Jesus said to them, “He wrote this commandment for you because of your hard hearts. 10:6he made them male and female. 10:7For this reason a man will leave his father and mother, 10:8 and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one flesh. 10:9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” But from the beginning of creation
10:10 In the house once again, the disciples asked him about this. 10:11 he told them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her. 10:12 And if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

Again, Jesus is the only authority on the subject. What Paul, Peter or anyone else says does not matter, since they are neither god nor the son of god nor Yahweh nor Casper the Friendly Ghost.

If you commit Adultery, you have violated the law and the Commandment, and Jesus said so. You forfeit your right to "eternal life." Too bad, so sad.

Luke 18:18 Now a certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 18:19 Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good?18:20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’” 18:21 The man replied, “I have wholeheartedly obeyed all these laws since my youth.” 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” No one is good except God alone.

Apparently, some of you were "adult" enough to make the choice to commit Adultery, but you're not "adult" enough to accept the consequences of your actions. Accordingly, your preference is to see only what you want to see and hear only what you want to hear, and you cling to anyone who offers you an "escape clause" even though it is baseless and totally lacking in any authority. Too bad, so sad.

My advice is to ask for forgiveness, and maybe Jesus will, and then you'll have something nice to cherish while you burn in Hell for eternity.

Wow, so glad God is not as harsh as you are.

For the record, there is no unforgiveable sin that will keep you from heaven, as long as you are truly contrite and have asked God for his forgiveness.

God wants all to be in heaven with Him.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:25 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Total fail.

Jesus said so.

Thanks for chiming in, ot many as honest as you are, I am guessing that many are on wife/husband2.0 or greater.

I do not agree with you about the eternal side but agree on your rationalization of scripture. Like me, many probably also had pre-marital sex and possibly, like me with someone other than the woman I married.

According to the scripture you posted, there is no argument that I am also an adulterer and there are many grandmothers(now) I "knew" as a youth out there that are too as adulteresses . The compound effect is quite staggering.

The idea of never being forgiven seems pretty hopeless. I have never cheated in 26 years. That however counts for nothing.

Now one can have a guilt syndrome about this or move on and accept this as a natural exploring the many waters.

By rights, I should have been waterboarded into admitting I was not a virgin and should have been denied an xian wedding. Oh and I and wife had premarital sex so she too is guilty of not being a virgin when we married.

See this is my lot and never had a real issue with it as EVERYONE does it or at least comes close.

It is good that there is no escape clause, however it really does not jive with how jesus was to the adulterous woman or the fact he hung out with prostitutes and that didn't seem to bother him too much.

In essence, I really do not think the man portrayed as jesus had any sexual hang ups. I believe it was more the free passes men had to dismiss their wives when there was a newer more nubile model available.

The sexual hangups are what folk have denying the natural and expecting miracles. How one applies an archaic law when in today's society you find a mate not from your own little tribe but usually from a distant place. My wife and my birthplaces are 3500 miles and 3 countries apart and we met in the middle somewhere having both migrated to the same town for work. In the days of yore, the distant hook ups were far and few between.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Lev 19
18 Nor shall you take a woman as a rival to her sister, to uncover her nakedness while the other is alive.
19 ‘Also you shall not approach a woman to uncover her nakedness as long as she is in her customary impurity. 20 Moreover you shall not lie carnally with your neighbor’s wife, to defile yourself with her.

29 For whoever commits any of these abominations, the persons who commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

Lev 20
10 ‘The man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death. 11 The man who lies with his father’s wife has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. 12 If a man lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death. They have committed perversion. Their blood shall be upon them.

These are part of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) that are binding on Jews; these Mitzvot (Commandments) are not binding on Gentiles. Gentiles are only bound by the 7 Noahide Commandments.

Here's the complete list of forbidden sexual relations:

Not to indulge in familiarities with relatives, such as kissing, embracing, winking, skipping, which may lead to incest (Lev. 18:6)

Not to commit incest with one's mother (Lev. 18:7)

Not to commit sodomy with one's father (Lev. 18:7)

Not to commit incest with one's father's wife (Lev. 18:8)

Not to commit incest with one's sister (Lev. 18:9)

Not to commit incest with one's father's wife's daughter (Lev. 18:11)

Not to commit incest with one's son's daughter (Lev. 18:10)

Not to commit incest with one's daughter's daughter (Lev. 18:10)

Not to commit incest with one's daughter (this is not explicitly in the Torah but is inferred from other explicit commands that would include it)

Not to commit incest with one's fathers sister (Lev. 18:12)

Not to commit incest with one's mother's sister (Lev. 18:13)

Not to commit incest with one's father's brothers wife (Lev. 18:14)

Not to commit sodomy with one's father's brother (Lev. 18:14)

Not to commit incest with one's son's wife (Lev. 18:15)

Not to commit incest with one's brother's wife (Lev. 18:16)

Not to commit incest with one's wife's daughter (Lev. 18:17)

Not to commit incest with the daughter of one's wife's son (Lev. 18:17)

Not to commit incest with the daughter of one's wife's daughter (Lev. 18:17)

Not to commit incest with one's wife's sister (Lev. 18:18)

Not to have intercourse with a woman, in her menstrual period (Lev. 18:19)

Not to have intercourse with another man's wife (Lev. 18:20)

Not to commit sodomy with a male (Lev. 18:22)

Not to have intercourse with a beast (Lev. 18:23)

That a woman shall not have intercourse with a beast (Lev. 18:23)

Not to castrate the male of any species; neither a man, nor a domestic or wild beast, nor a fowl (Lev. 22:24)

Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 PM

Because Christians prohibit polygamy, while other faith groups do not, the Christian definition of adultery differs from other faith groups.

Christians consider any sex outside of a one man-one woman marriage to be adultery. Judaism does not consider a married man having sex with an unmarried woman to be adultery, but does consider a married woman having sex with other than her husband to be adultery.

It may be a violation of the separation clause in the U.S. Constitution that the Christian definition of adultery has been made part of secular law.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM

460 posts, read 593,193 times
This may be my last post on this subject. I probably have been trying to make my point the hard way, anyway.

Many nations do not operate under a religious law, much less a Judaic law.

What appeared "right" to the Judaic leaders of the day is not an absolute for anyone. I find it both laughable and tragic that in a modern era we want to talk philosophy using a very archaic and ancient code of laws of which very few people understand in the first place.

As far as gays: the verses quoted are grossly misinterpreted to fit certain people's biases.

Levitical laws are similarly grosly misinterpreted and were not intended to be extended to all people. Just one: in the attempt to distinguish these people from the rest of the world, especially to divorce themselves from common practices followed by the rest of the world.

It is lamentable that a great many people cannot "get out of the hot kitchen" because their religion has become the "law of the land." Again, I cannot underscore the reality that God's laws were manufactured by man, not by God.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Because Christians prohibit polygamy, while other faith groups do not, the Christian definition of adultery differs from other faith groups.

Christians consider any sex outside of a one man-one woman marriage to be adultery. Judaism does not consider a married man having sex with an unmarried woman to be adultery, but does consider a married woman having sex with other than her husband to be adultery.

It may be a violation of the separation clause in the U.S. Constitution that the Christian definition of adultery has been made part of secular law.
So married men can fool around but married women cannot? Wow that sounds really fair? Do you not mean an unmarried man?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Do you not mean an unmarried man?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality