Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

No, I'm sitting at a desk. A cheap metal one, not a classy walnut job with a credenza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:53 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Once again - "atheists" are all different types of people with all different types of beliefs. You can't make blanket statements about them any more than you can make blanket statemenst about any other group. So, once again - why are you doing that?
Because that is what is happening here on both sides. Some atheists on here are blaketing all religious people into one group. They are comparing them all with Christian fanatics. So, I return the favor. That is all. Once I get that they understand that not all religion is the same blinded faith deal, I will stop pooling all atheists into one group.

Quote:
Also - you do realize that this is an online forum - right? People who come onto the religion forum usually have pretty strong feelings about religion one way or another - otherwise they wouldn't be on this forum. It's sort of like saying, "Why are you all so obsessed with food!!!" on the food forum. We come here to discuss, debate, learn, teach, etc. - all with out having to say anything to someone's face. So of course both sides and every side in between is going to be more agressive than they would if they were sitting down with someone in person.
Yes, I do. But, when someone asks a question regarding their faith, it is a discussion on that topic. A few atheists on here like to hijack threads into a religious debate about it being true or not. They misdirect the thread and the OP never gets the answer they were searching for.

Quote:
Treat others as you wish to be treated - I do that. I don't start threads saying, "What's the matter with all you people!" That was you.
I treat others as they wish to be treated, while treating them the way I wish to be treated.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
You only have to turn on the tv and see the "soap box" preachers. Even you have decided to stand up and express your views... Typical hypocrite.

Guess what? If you turn on the TV and watch them, you are doing it by choice. There is a power button and a channel button on all TV's. Yeah, I expressed my views on a forum that is optional to read and post on. You can't be offended by something that you choose to engage. If you don't want to be offended by it, ignore it.

I started this thread to see why some atheists on here hijack threads and but into religious events that have nothing to do with them. Just curious.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Because that is what is happening here on both sides. Some atheists on here are blaketing all religious people into one group. They are comparing them all with Christian fanatics. So, I return the favor. That is all. Once I get that they understand that not all religion is the same blinded faith deal, I will stop pooling all atheists into one group.

Yes, I do. But, when someone asks a question regarding their faith, it is a discussion on that topic. A few atheists on here like to hijack threads into a religious debate about it being true or not. They misdirect the thread and the OP never gets the answer they were searching for.

I treat others as they wish to be treated, while treating them the way I wish to be treated.
So, basically what you are saying is that 2 wrongs make a right? I don't like the way others are acting so I'm going to be just as bad as they are?

If this is what you feel you must do - then go ahead but it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I can't confirm your experiences. In my view religion is being pushed much more than atheism. And the more that is the case in countries such as the US, atheists will fight back. And rightly so. Naturally some religious people are not happy about that and consider proud, convinced atheists a pain in the you know what.
Of course religion is being pushed. It is all about the politics for some. key word here is some. Most religious people keep to themselves aside from the occasional forum post.

I have a blog that is about my experiances with various beliefs regarding all things new age, religious, and alternative. It is a blog that is open to all and I do not force it on anyone. I have a few followers that are atheists and they often post comments that are, to me, trying to deter me from what I am doing.

Quote:
I am on a soup box insofar as I kind of look down upon religious people, not so much the people as such, but their being religious, which seems kind of childish and naive to me.
Being religious is not naive. Most religious people live very happy and creative lives. They are involved in their community and do great things. Just like most atheists.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
We do? Since I don't know how we got here, I don't hold any particular beliefs about it. For example, I have no clue how/why the dinosaurs became extinct. Do I really care? No. Does it make any kind of difference in my life not knowing? No. The same with the origins of the universe. Sure, it would be interesting to know the answers, but it has no significance to my life. And why do you seem to equate atheism with science? Just because a person doesn't have a belief in deities does not mean that they are some kind of proponent of science. I just don't believe your (theists') claims that gods exist. Science is not necessary to not believe something.
A lot of atheists use science as their weapon. The ones that are in the spotlight are the ones we see and hear. This is their common weapon. I know what atheism is, I don't need clarification.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So, basically what you are saying is that 2 wrongs make a right? I don't like the way others are acting so I'm going to be just as bad as they are?

If this is what you feel you must do - then go ahead but it doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
I am just doing what some atheists on here do.
In all reality I am on both sides. I support religious people to believe what they want and support atheists to believe what they want as well.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
I am just doing what some atheists on here do.
In all reality I am on both sides. I support religious people to believe what they want and support atheists to believe what they want as well.
Some Christians to it, too. So do some Muslims. Like I said - it's really about a person's personality - not what they believe.

I don't like it when derogatory blanket statements are made about any group. Therefore, I don't make them.

So again - why exactly are you doing it if you think it's wrong? And it doesn't sound much like you support atheists at all - all you've done is put them down and say how you think they are all a certain way. And that way is bad, bad, bad.

I just don't get it. Oh well. Carry on.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Of course religion is being pushed. It is all about the politics for some. key word here is some. Most religious people keep to themselves aside from the occasional forum post.

I have a blog that is about my experiances with various beliefs regarding all things new age, religious, and alternative. It is a blog that is open to all and I do not force it on anyone. I have a few followers that are atheists and they often post comments that are, to me, trying to deter me from what I am doing.

Being religious is not naive. Most religious people live very happy and creative lives. They are involved in their community and do great things. Just like most atheists.
A lot of people want to improve society, both religious and atheist ones. Just keeping one's opinion to oneself is not enough for a lot of people. They want to promote their views and challenge those of others. I guess that is a very natural thing. Without that human trait we would still live in caves.

Regarding your blog, there are atheists with blogs who also find religious people posting there and trying to show atheism is wrong. It is just a lot more interesting to deal with people differing than with those who already share one's own views anyway. Humans need that friction and discussion in order to progress and eliminate false views.

And I am one of those people who do not think that being religious and atheist is equally good. After all the views of the majority tend to determine laws etc. So it is in my interest to make it clear I do not agree with Christian and other views. Being religious or not is not a question like will I wear a green or a red t-shirt today?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Guess what? If you turn on the TV and watch them, you are doing it by choice. There is a power button and a channel button on all TV's. Yeah, I expressed my views on a forum that is optional to read and post on. You can't be offended by something that you choose to engage. If you don't want to be offended by it, ignore it.

I started this thread to see why some atheists on here hijack threads and but into religious events that have nothing to do with them. Just curious.

Yeah right...In some areas religious preachers are everywhere, at universities, parades, in public parks and on street corners...If I could find their power buttons I'd turn them off.....For good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality