Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,939,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
As we all know atheist don't believe in God .. we do (religious people)
They don't believe in life after death ..we do ..
They don't believe in heaven and hell .. we do ..
But what if you are wrong ?
What if we are wrong too ?
If we are wrong then nothing well happen to us .. but if you are wrong you will go to hell
So as a matter of precaution Why don't you try to believe in God even theoretically ... Just try ... who knows !!
you have nothing to lose anyway don't you ?!!!
You can't think of God in theoretical terms as He knows the true heart of an individual, so you are not covered both ways by a pretend belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,014,637 times
Pascal's Wager has more holes than Sponge Bob. Here are several reasons why Pascal's Wager fails.

1. Believing in god isn't a win win situation. If there is no god and no afterlife then you wasted your entire life on a delusion. All of the time, love, money and devotion that you gave to your religious/god beliefs could have been given to real people and real things but you just threw it away. Not only that, if you worshipped the wrong god, then you're going to hell.

2. There are 3000 gods worshipped on the planet. What if Zeus is the one true god? Then you will still be going to hell because you worshipped the wrong god.

3. Pascal's Wager assumes that god rewards belief. This isn't necessarily true. If there is a god they could reward disbelief and punish belief or they could reward doubt and punish faith.

4. If there is an afterlife it may not be based on the heaven/hell concept. What if buddhism is true? Then rebirth is the true afterlife and you won't go to heaven or hell, you'll be reincarnated as a lower life form.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 AM

570 posts, read 733,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Tell ya' what........
How about you try believing you're an owl?
Let us know how that works for ya'
I have seen millions of people changed there believes but I hav not seen someone turns into Owl !!!
A little bit of logic please !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt
Which god should we believe in? If we believe in Odin, and Zeus is the real god, then Zeus will send us to Hades. If you believe in the god of Abraham, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the real god, he might punish you. If you believe in all the gods, the real god might get jealous and punish you for worshipping other gods.

Maybe, the real god, honors and values rational thought best and despises belief without sufficient evidence.

If he is a decent god at all, he would never send people to hell for not believing in him, he would instead look at the heart of all people and reward kind and loving behaviors no matter what one believed during one's life. In fact, I don't want to serve a god that would send people to eternal torment just for not believing in him.
Odin, and Zeus
I am not talking about cartoon series
I mean the god of all the Prophets Noah, Moses, Jesus,Ibrahim, Muhammad ..
The God .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh
A person can't just say "hey, I am going to decide to believe" in something. So basically you are suggesting that people be hypocrites.
don't just say it .. try to believe in it ... see in your heart .. just like all the people who turns from Christianity to Islamic or from beaing atheist to believe in god like professor Anton flow (1923-2010) who was the World's Most Notorious Atheist and a religion philosopher then later on Changed His Mind and wrote a book caleed "There is a God "
Antony Flew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA
OK for me to believe I have to meet this god of yours - I'll be waiting.
"And now they reject the truth when it reaches them * but soon shall they learn the reality of what they used to flouted about "
(The holy Quran)
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654
You can't think of God in theoretical terms as He knows the true heart of an individual, so you are not covered both ways by a pretend belief
I said theoretically because there are some people who don't want to even think about Converting because they don't want to quit drinking alcohol and sleeping with their girlfriends or they don't want to pray and fast .. if that is the case then start by believing in your heart first with out practicing any ritual worship .
That's what I meant .

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
Quote:
I have seen millions of people changed there believes but I hav not seen someone turns into Owl !!!
A little bit of logic please !!

Odin, and Zeus
I am not talking about cartoon series
I mean the god of all the Prophets Noah, Moses, Jesus,Ibrahim, Muhammad ..
The God .

don't just say it .. try to believe in it ... see in your heart .. just like all the people who turns from Christianity to Islamic or from beaing atheist to believe in god like professor Anton flow (1923-2010) who was the World's Most Notorious Atheist and a religion philosopher then later on Changed His Mind and wrote a book caleed "There is a God "
Antony Flew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"And now they reject the truth when it reaches them * but soon shall they learn the reality of what they used to flouted about "
(The holy Quran)

I said theoretically because there are some people who don't want to even think about Converting because they don't want to quit drinking alcohol and sleeping with their girlfriends or they don't want to pray and fast .. if that is the case then start by believing in your heart first with out practicing any ritual worship .
That's what I meant .

Cartoons? You are kidding right. These gods were around LOOOOOOOOOOONGb before your god was even thought of. Odin is a Pagan God, and I sure hope you know who Zues is. Nothing cartoon about them, they are the inspiration for your god.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Which god should we believe in? If we believe in Odin, and Zeus is the real god, then Zeus will send us to Hades. If you believe in the god of Abraham, and the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the real god, he might punish you. If you believe in all the gods, the real god might get jealous and punish you for worshipping other gods.

Maybe, the real god, honors and values rational thought best and despises belief without sufficient evidence.

If he is a decent god at all, he would never send people to hell for not believing in him, he would instead look at the heart of all people and reward kind and loving behaviors no matter what one believed during one's life. In fact, I don't want to serve a god that would send people to eternal torment just for not believing in him.
im a theist,but this post makes perfect sense,who would want to worship a God that is going to burn people forever,bye saying this you are saying that God is worse than hitler and have no concept of God's good nature,it is fear based and only turns people with good hearts away from your belief,which i suppose is a good thing.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Lightbulb Believe in God (as a matter of precaution)!

Quote:
As we all know atheist don't believe in God .. we do (religious people)
They don't believe in life after death ..we do ..
They don't believe in heaven and hell .. we do ..
But what if you are wrong ?
What if we are wrong too ?
If we are wrong then nothing well happen to us .. but if you are wrong you will go to hell
So as a matter of precaution Why don't you try to believe in God even theoretically ... Just try ... who knows !!
you have nothing to lose anyway don't you ?!!!

Please...

No half measures, OK...

If you're attempting to hedge your bets in order to attain some post-life paradise, you'll have to believe in ALL gods, since they're ALL equally likely. And their promised rewards for your faith are ALL equally valid.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Cartoons? You are kidding right. These gods were around LOOOOOOOOOOONGb before your god was even thought of. Odin is a Pagan God, and I sure hope you know who Zues is. Nothing cartoon about them, they are the inspiration for your god.
word of advice :
Please don't say that when you have a conversation with any Muslim , Jewish, Christian because it will only show that you don't have even the Minimum Knowledge of what they believe in .
God (Allah )the god that all the prophets delivered his message since the beginning of creation ... the God that most of human kind with different colors and ethnicities and languages worship through the ages ... the one God that existed before everything & resembles nothing .. unabled to be ssen by our modest weak sights .
Quote:
they are the inspiration for your god
I am speechless .... what a shame

Last edited by squall-lionheart; 04-19-2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please...

No half measures, OK...

If you're attempting to hedge your bets in order to attain some post-life paradise, you'll have to believe in ALL gods, since they're ALL equally likely. And their promised rewards for your faith are ALL equally valid.
What all Gods .. we believe only in one God .. the god of Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed ... not what have been drawn by Pharaohs Slaves or carved by a punch of Greeks Gays

Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,468,786 times
Quote:
What all Gods .. we believe only in one God .. the god of Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed ... not what have been drawn by Pharaohs Slaves or carved by a punch of Greeks Gays
Your ignorance of other religions is appalling, as is your disrespect for other beliefs. You do not believe in these other gods, therefore YOU are an atheist. If your argument is to be valid in any way, it is necessary to believe in ALL gods, not just one you happen to pick because you were indoctrinated in that specific belief. I am an atheist in that I disbelieve in all the same gods you do not believe in, plus one more - yours.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,389 times
Quote:
word of advice :
Please don't say that when you have a conversation with any Muslim , Jewish, Christian because it will only show that you don't have even the Minimum Knowledge of what they believe in .
God (Allah )the god that all the prophets delivered his message since the beginning of creation ... the God that most of human kind with different colors and ethnicities and languages worship through the ages ... the one God that existed before everything & resembles nothing .. unabled to be ssen by our modest weak sights .

I am speechless .... what a shame
Christianity is a cheap ripoff of pagan religions just as Islam is a cheap ripoff of Judaism just as Judaism and the Bible are a cheap ripoff of the earlier Gods and religious texts of Mesopotamia. That is a fact. Continue your speechlessness..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality