Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 AM

75 posts, read 176,078 times

Advertisements

As a U.U., I was curious to know what others' knowledge of this religion is. Have you heard of it before? What do you think of it? Is it a valid religious choice?

Feel free to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,205 times
I am a Unitarian Universalist. My wife, Lilly of the Field, and I left the LDS Church at roughly the same time and shortly thereafter became agnostics/atheists. We wanted to keep all that we liked about our previous lives as Mormons and change and improve on the things we did not like. We both enjoy feeling peace, transcendence, unity, joy, comfort. We wanted to be part of a community that encouraged those feelings through hymns and the sharing of thoughts and experiences, but without supernatural emphasis. I'd rather not have to filter through a bunch of stuff I don't believe that is taught from the pulpit as if it were the undisputed truth. I would not be comfortable with that.
We also wanted to be taught the sorts of things we were now into: environmentalism, skepticism, personal spiritual journeys, justice for all regardless of race, gender, orientation, etc. I wanted a community that I could raise my children in with those values and have mentors for them that would encourage exploration of ideas. I wanted people I could turn to for support during times of hospitalization, deaths, births, marriages, etc. I wanted to be able to unite to accomplish greater good through community service and pressure on legislatures. I wanted to enjoy community pot-lucks, seminars, and functions, etc.

We heard that many former mormons had found a home in Unitarian Universalism. So, we went to our local one and felt right at home. It was a spiritual community that accepted atheists just the way we are. The sermons prompt introspection and contemplation. I have no fear that my kids will be indoctrinated. I am learning to be more tolerant of others who do have supernatural beliefs.

Unitarian Universalism has no creed dictating that all UU's must believe such and such. Instead, there are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Here is a link to a ten minute film on Unitarian Universalism.
Windows Media Version
Real Video Version

Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I attended several UU services and was all set to join (I like their viewpoints) until I found that I could not financially afford to. They are rather mercenary around here. That is a shame.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I attended several UU services and was all set to join (I like their viewpoints) until I found that I could not financially afford to. They are rather mercenary around here. That is a shame.
What? Please tell me more. I have been a member of 3 different UU fellowships and frequently visited a fourth, and I have never heard of such a thing. Membership has always been free. The fellowship has to pay dues to the UUA once a year for every member they have on record (I think it is about $20 IIRC), so some fellowships either want you to contribute that much in a year to offset their cost or you can contribute some other way such as volunteering to be on a committee or something. So, if someone did not have any money, they could still be a member by donating a little of their time.

So, what was the policy of the fellowship you were thinking about joining?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Thanks for posting, as I have meant to do so......I will be moving to another state soon and have already pulled up website of the UU location so I can attend.....

For MANY years, I have felt so different than those involved in dogmatic religious services.... looking forward to a meeting of like-minded people who are willing to coexist with others.

Is it a religion? Well...........does it have to be? It is the way I am going, that's all I know!

quote=Nomomo11;18805774]As a U.U., I was curious to know what others' knowledge of this religion is. Have you heard of it before? What do you think of it? Is it a valid religious choice?

Feel free to be honest.[/quote]

Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
As a U.U., I was curious to know what others' knowledge of this religion is. Have you heard of it before? What do you think of it? Is it a valid religious choice?

Feel free to be honest.
I went to a service once. Being a right-wing agnostic, I quickly bailed after perusing their bulletin board.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
So, what was the policy of the fellowship you were thinking about joining?
I looked two different ones over, and they weren't all that different. They both want members to agree to give a set amount each month. My financial situation is irregular, so I didn't want to commit to that. It wasn't good enough for me to give as much as I felt comfortable about giving.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I looked two different ones over, and they weren't all that different. They both want members to agree to give a set amount each month. My financial situation is irregular, so I didn't want to commit to that. It wasn't good enough for me to give as much as I felt comfortable about giving.
I am sorry to hear that that was your experience. Most fellowships do ask their members once a year to pledge what they will contribute during the next year so that the fellowship can draw up a budget for the coming year. We usually fill out a pledge card, but in every fellowship I've been to, it would be perfectly acceptable to write on the pledge card $0, or "I am unable to pledge at this time". Again, I am sorry that was not your experience.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
I went to a service once. Being a right-wing agnostic, I quickly bailed after perusing their bulletin board.
Let me guess - they actually treated gays with respect and accepted them and same sex families as part of their community?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Let me guess - they actually treated gays with respect and accepted them and same sex families as part of their community?

Sorry, guess again.

Last edited by nightflight; 04-22-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality