Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times

Advertisements

Can someone here please explain Unitarian Universalism to me? It sounds remarkably like a western version of Hindu universalism. Thanks!

Om shanti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 12:51 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Can someone here please explain Unitarian Universalism to me? It sounds remarkably like a western version of Hindu universalism. Thanks!

Om shanti
Here you go:Xpat
This was the quickest link that i could get to
Unitarian Universalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 AM

Thanks, you are very kind.

What I was hoping is that someone who is a Unitarian Universalist would be able to explain it themselves (from their perspective). Anyone?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:25 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
by what wikipedia says...i am a unitarian universalist ...well maybe not as im not a part of any group per say ..maybe im actually a hindu universalist..as this quote from ghandi could have came from my mouth: After long study and experience, I have come to the conclusion that [1] all religions are true; [2] all religions have some error in them; [3] all religions are almost as dear to me as my own Hinduism, in as much as all human beings should be as dear to one as one's own close relatives. My own veneration for other faiths is the same as that for my own faith; therefore no thought of conversion is possible."...and it actually pretty much has...in different parts of this forum...well besides the hinduism part since im not sure..or aware on much of hindu beliefs..as they are not easy to come by..and ive never actually met a hindu....maybe im just a universalist...hmm...sweet i found a label of sorts for my belief structure

Old 11-24-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
and ive never actually met a hindu...
Sure you have.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:28 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,537 times
I am a former Unitarian Universalist living in Tuscaloosa Alabama. I joined the local church because I had read that they were open to other spiritual beliefs and practices. I was raised as a Southern Baptist and had long given up on that rigid, judgemental and to me, unbelievable faith. My spiritual beliefs are not orthodox by any stretch of the imagination but I do HAVE some spiritual beliefs. What I found in our local congregation was that very few people there had ANY spiritual beliefs at all. The congregation was comprised mostly of professors and other facualty from the University of Alabama. Many of them were in the science fields. They were very interesting, people. After a while I realized that going to a church with no spirituality didn't make a lot of sense. UU churches are different in different places. But this was my experience.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
xpat since youre the only hindu ive ever communicated with..and..im really interested ...could you explain hinduism to me...i mean ive heard its not the easiest to explain nor comprehend ...i have some theories on hinduism ..but thats just from the little ive read about it....but yea i would like to hear how you see things

Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Default Members of Unitarian Universalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Thanks, you are very kind.

What I was hoping is that someone who is a Unitarian Universalist would be able to explain it themselves (from their perspective). Anyone?
I hope Xpat found what she was looking for.
I have the same questions.
There are 2 groups in my Town. One is located in an old historical church and call themselves UU Church and the other is called UU Congregation and located in an old and beautiful house. Both are activistic and inclusive which i find appealing.
Is anyone here a member of the UU?
What is it all about?
Is it based on Bible theology?
How does Jesus figure in the whole set up?
What is worship within this, who or what do they pray to?
Do they pray?

Anything else you can share.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:17 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I hope Xpat found what she was looking for.
I have the same questions.
There are 2 groups in my Town. One is located in an old historical church and call themselves UU Church and the other is called UU Congregation and located in an old and beautiful house. Both are activistic and inclusive which i find appealing.
Is anyone here a member of the UU?
What is it all about?
Is it based on Bible theology?
How does Jesus figure in the whole set up?
What is worship within this, who or what do they pray to?
Do they pray?

Anything else you can share.
To my understanding the main significance of UU is that you don't have to believe any particular doctrine to be a member there. You could be a believer in any religion and be a member. You can be an atheist and be a member.

And although the "theology" is loosely based on Christian theology it mostly focuses on the social gospel and downplays the supernatural aspects of the Jesus story.

For instance I went to one service where the sermon was on the resurrection and they talked about how it didn't matter whether the resurrection was a real event. Rather it was symbolic to the fact that Jesus message of love and peace survived his death and was spread by the early Christians.

In general my experience with them is that the people who went there were highly educated social liberal do gooder types. Many of whom were raised in another tradition but evolved to where UU suited them more comfortably than the tradition they grew up in.

Again, I flirted with it but I wasn't quite where those people were. I didn't quite fit.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:08 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
To my understanding the main significance of UU is that you don't have to believe any particular doctrine to be a member there. You could be a believer in any religion and be a member. You can be an atheist and be a member.

And although the "theology" is loosely based on Christian theology it mostly focuses on the social gospel and downplays the supernatural aspects of the Jesus story.

For instance I went to one service where the sermon was on the resurrection and they talked about how it didn't matter whether the resurrection was a real event. Rather it was symbolic to the fact that Jesus message of love and peace survived his death and was spread by the early Christians.

In general my experience with them is that the people who went there were highly educated social liberal do gooder types. Many of whom were raised in another tradition but evolved to where UU suited them more comfortably than the tradition they grew up in.

Again, I flirted with it but I wasn't quite where those people were. I didn't quite fit.
This is also what I understand it to be, more or less. My niece checked out a UU congregation for a time. She also didn't find it a perfect fit after a time, but for some people, it is. (By the way, lol, you can find people who fit that description in Episcopal churches, too, although that's not the official stance as outlined in their creed.)

It does seem to be more popular in the New England states (my niece lives in MA) although I know there are UU congregations in NJ, too. John Quincy Adams, Louisa May Alcott, and Ralph Waldo Emerson come immediately to mind as famous Unitarians. I know there are others.

Maybe you have to be known by three names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality