Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,113,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post
But to develop such a clever technique, wouldnt the plant have to have a brain capable of observing the insects flocking to dead animals, and it would not only have to observe this, but also understand why i.e. the smell of rotting flesh.
This is the most basic, easily illustrated method of evolution. Any pop science book on the subject will feature such a discussion. So here is my version.

You have a plant. A small mutation occurs, and the plant starts to give off a smell that is different from the others. Not a rotting meat smell, simply a scent that is different. A fly is attracted to it, simply because of the difference. Similar to one person in a crowd wearing bright colors.

So the fly pollinates this particular flower because it landed there. The flower reproduces, along with its ever so slightly different smell.

A hundred years later, you have an entire field of these flowers, which smell just a tiny bit different from the flowers one field over. And again, a small mutation occurs, and the smell becomes just a bit more prevalent. Actually, this happens to two different flowers, one which smells just a bit sweeter, and one smells just a bit more rotten. Not very much, just a tiny, tiny bit.

Again, some insects are attracted to the flowers because of their difference. Each insect has a slightly different preference for odor, in the same way that you may prefer chocolate flavoring, and I prefer vanilla. More reproduction occurs, and now you have three different varieties of plant. The original, plus the two mutations.

Repeat for a few thousand years, and you will ultimately have flowers with very different scents. Maybe one like roses, and one like dead pig carcass. It really does not matter what is smells like, only that it attracts something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,583,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is the most basic, easily illustrated method of evolution. Any pop science book on the subject will feature such a discussion. So here is my version.

You have a plant. A small mutation occurs, and the plant starts to give off a smell that is different from the others. Not a rotting meat smell, simply a scent that is different. A fly is attracted to it, simply because of the difference. Similar to one person in a crowd wearing bright colors.

So the fly pollinates this particular flower because it landed there. The flower reproduces, along with its ever so slightly different smell.

A hundred years later, you have an entire field of these flowers, which smell just a tiny bit different from the flowers one field over. And again, a small mutation occurs, and the smell becomes just a bit more prevalent. Actually, this happens to two different flowers, one which smells just a bit sweeter, and one smells just a bit more rotten. Not very much, just a tiny, tiny bit.

Again, some insects are attracted to the flowers because of their difference. Each insect has a slightly different preference for odor, in the same way that you may prefer chocolate flavoring, and I prefer vanilla. More reproduction occurs, and now you have three different varieties of plant. The original, plus the two mutations.

Repeat for a few thousand years, and you will ultimately have flowers with very different scents. Maybe one like roses, and one like dead pig carcass. It really does not matter what is smells like, only that it attracts something.

What causes the mutation? Why does it mutate and it's neighbors not?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Extinction. and Isolated species such as Dodoes and Galapagoes. Species aren't necessarily dependent on eachother. there is no random chance in evolution, its more of a pre-determination. God, She is all powerful
I meant dependent in a larger, global sense. This planet supports a certain number of species, some of whom eat each other animals, and some of whom pollenate the vegetable matter that others eat and so on.

The point is not so much that some particular species rely on others (though they do and we're a prime example), but the whole biosphere is in balance because of the diversity of life forms.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post

You have officialy confused me. Are you a creationist or an evolutionist???

Why does it have to be one or the other?

And, by the way, let's not confuse creation with creationISM, which is a specific curriculum which I think was developed for political purposes.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:10 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,227,931 times
Quote:
The Deistic God from the agnostic perspective is not necessarily a hard or easy thought. It mainly has to do with an all-knowing being, and a creator being. So the path that leads there might start something like this: God created everything. then God realised that since IT was agnostic it would just leave the world alone instead of medeling. o.k. so that seems far fetched. But not necissarily. an all-knowing being could understand its agnosticism. After all, how can anything that "thinks" truely be sure that it isn't being tricked? How can anything truely be all-knowing? Just because it is sure it is all-knowing doesn't mean it isn't being tricked to simply think that. So I'm not sure if that makes it clear...but mainly: God is agnostic and that is the perfect reason why It did what Deists assume it did.
What? An all-knowing being, by definition, could not be agnostic (without knowledge).

Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,907,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Actually, according to the Bible, he did. Animals didn't eat each other in the Garden of Eden.
Well dang!!!!! according to saint aesop, the tortoise beat the hare in a fair race!!!! There are quite a few people who do not put much credence in what the buybull has to say.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,569,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well dang!!!!! according to saint aesop, the tortoise beat the hare in a fair race!!!! There are quite a few people who do not put much credence in what the buybull has to say.
LOL

Buy Bull

Old 05-02-2011, 02:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,092,416 times
Quote:
The Deistic God from the agnostic perspective is not necessarily a hard or easy thought. It mainly has to do with an all-knowing being, and a creator being. So the path that leads there might start something like this: God created everything. then God realised that since IT was agnostic it would just leave the world alone instead of medeling. o.k. so that seems far fetched. But not necissarily. an all-knowing being could understand its agnosticism. After all, how can anything that "thinks" truely be sure that it isn't being tricked? How can anything truely be all-knowing? Just because it is sure it is all-knowing doesn't mean it isn't being tricked to simply think that. So I'm not sure if that makes it clear...but mainly: God is agnostic and that is the perfect reason why It did what Deists assume it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
What? An all-knowing being, by definition, could not be agnostic (without knowledge).
I'm not sure if you missed the bolded part. If it is smart enough it knows it could be being tricked. I prefer to think God is Omniintelligent.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:35 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,569,334 times
Quote:
I prefer to think God is Omniintelligent.
You prefer? I prefer sweet potatoes with pineapple so I can hear a little Hawaiian music.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:13 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,932,005 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The important word in this sentence is "seems". There are a lot of things in this universe that "seem" impossible, yet they occur anyway. The issue lies not with the impossibility of the events, but the ability of the human mind to comprehend them easily
This I do agree with

Quote:
[Says you. Why not? You see so sure it could not happen. What are your arguments that it could not?
Im not saying it could not, Im saying to me, Its highly unlikely that it would develop that smell which attracts flies and insects to it when according to the theory of evolution, it could have developed any other smell in the world. ut it didnt develope any other smell in the world did it? It has the one which is most vital to its feeding habbits and the one that is most vital in maintaning the population of insects to a reasonable amount.

Quote:
I have been asking for over 18 years for someone to show me it. They, like you, just keep saying it is there. They, like you, never get around to telling us what any of it actually is. Strange that
What is it you ask? As I said, just look around. The very fact that your brain can interpret what your reading right now is a miracle! { no insult intended, the same is true of myself } If you read the Christian Bible { which i am not a christian but the same would be true for a Deistoc God } there is a passage in it that says " the proof of my existance is revealed through my creation, for that reason, you have no excuse for disbeleif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality