Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times

Advertisements

Common name for a proposed agenda for the Catholic church looking forward.

Many in the Vatican are attempting to change the Church's position against contraception and abortion, the celibacy of priests, the reservation of the priesthood to men, and the acceptance of homosexual relationships.

Guess what?? For a thousand years the church required infant baptism. When most folks began to doubt that a just god would send an infant to hell the church stopped that requirement. The scripture is still there.

Guess what?? For thousands of years the church hunted down, tortured and hanged innocent young women who were accused of witchcraft. After hundreds of thousands had died an unjust death and people realized there was no such thing as a witch the church stopped persecuting and assassinating them. The scripture is still there.

Guess what?? For thousands of years the church tolerated and sometimes accommodated slavery but when it became obvious that using other human beings for personal gain and desires was wrong the church shut up about it. The scripture is still there.

Guess what?? Until recently the church not only allowed but preached the subjugation of women. Now the women in churches all over the world take active parts and for the most part are treated as equals. The scripture is still there.

Guess what?? For thousands of years billions of hell fire and damnation sermons were preached and the church supported an eternal burning hell for human punishment. Now it's being laid on simple translation errors. The scripture is still there.

Guess what?? For thousands of years the church's position about homosexuality was that it is mortal sin. Now most churches are beginning to allow open homosexuality in their congregations and some are beginning to allow same sex marriages. The scripture is still there.

When are we going to realize that the church is more interested in Sunday morning collections than they are any doctrine. If donations begin to drop off the church researches to find a reason...then they change whatever is bugging folks. All the scripture is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times
Of course, keeping the coffers full is the prime directive as omnieverything Moderator cut: edit cannot do squat w/o the might dollar or euro.

The fact that the the RC is toning it down is encouraging as that meas some evolution of dogma albeit to keep the masses deluded/pacified.

However, from the evangelical standpoint, you do know that this is a sign of the end times and the emergence of the harlot of Babylon aka the RCC.

So it plays nicely to reaffirm the beliefs of both camps of the xian divide, convenient huh?

In this information age, you no longer can hide witch hunts like we have in Central Africa thanks to focus on the family and other evangelical woos.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-09-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,027,657 times
For many Catholics,"Vatican II" went just too far by tampering with the best magic show in town, the Mass. No matter how one felt about whether the consecration of bread & wine was real or not, the Latin liturgy, priest facing away from parishioners, incense, and the very act of consecration itself (remember the absolute silence during consecration?) was impressive and awe-inspiring. Apparently Rome is allowing a return to this ancient ritual (at least in some parishes) because so many older Catholics miss it so. And so back-to-the future, they swing--the Vatican hierarchy knows what's best for their sheep and they know how to mesmerize the faithful. And the communion wine? No change necessary--it's always been real!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
Quote:
Many in the Vatican are attempting to change the Church's position against contraception and abortion, the celibacy of priests, the reservation of the priesthood to men, and the acceptance of homosexual relationships.

Is this really true?

Many officials within the Vatican itself?

I left the club many years ago, but I was under the impression that holding certain positions, including opposition to priestly celibacy and restriction of the priesthood to men, was grounds for immediate excommunication.

If I'm right I have a hard time believing that there are that many people at the central office who are making these arguments.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
That is hard for me to believe as well. Like you, I "lapsed" many years ago.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:03 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
It just business, gotta keep the revenue coming in, what ever it takes.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Is this really true?

Many officials within the Vatican itself?

I left the club many years ago, but I was under the impression that holding certain positions, including opposition to priestly celibacy and restriction of the priesthood to men, was grounds for immediate excommunication.

If I'm right I have a hard time believing that there are that many people at the central office who are making these arguments.
Catholic News Service - Vatican II at 40

Old 06-09-2011, 04:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times
I had a big response planned, but then I had problems with the site. It's probably just as well though.

Basically your (Melvin's) understanding of Christian history, and specifically Catholic history, is really poor. By poor I don't mean "biased" or "unfriendly to my position", I mean actively ignorant and confused. Your understanding of Vatican II or Catholicism today is not much better.

Rather than being angry or annoyed, I really should feel bad that the education system has apparently failed you. Because I think if you understood what you were talking about you might, in this case, actually be more negative to Catholicism. Or at least I think you would be pretty much the same if you knew what you were talking about, but be more biting rather than unintentionally pathetic.

I might try to think, or look for, a respected Whig or Marxist historian who did a history of Catholicism or witch-hunts or the like. ("Whig history" tends to be progressive and often sees Catholicism as backward, Marxists are of course atheistic and in academic terms they can be perfectly respectable) If that's not acceptable I might look for a respectable anti-clerical historian. In any event you're hopefully not too old to be educated and although it makes no sense to help you, why not?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I had a big response planned, but then I had problems with the site. It's probably just as well though.

Basically your (Melvin's) understanding of Christian history, and specifically Catholic history, is really poor. By poor I don't mean "biased" or "unfriendly to my position", I mean actively ignorant and confused. Your understanding of Vatican II or Catholicism today is not much better.

Rather than being angry or annoyed, I really should feel bad that the education system has apparently failed you. Because I think if you understood what you were talking about you might, in this case, actually be more negative to Catholicism. Or at least I think you would be pretty much the same if you knew what you were talking about, but be more biting rather than unintentionally pathetic.

I might try to think, or look for, a respected Whig or Marxist historian who did a history of Catholicism or witch-hunts or the like. ("Whig history" tends to be progressive and often sees Catholicism as backward, Marxists are of course atheistic and in academic terms they can be perfectly respectable) If that's not acceptable I might look for a respectable anti-clerical historian. In any event you're hopefully not too old to be educated and although it makes no sense to help you, why not?
You should stick with it and get to the site:

Big changes for interfaith weddings
Parish minister is often lay -- and a woman
Liturgical changes go beyond pews
Religious education not what it used to be
Conveying historic event is challenge for teachers
Vatican II modernizes church-state ties
Collegiality: Debate continues today
Complete list of council documents
What is an ecumenical council?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality