Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,888,562 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of those who serve God in some large capacity, such as elder, pastor, teacher, etc, who do a great job for awhile, in some cases years...they're greatly respected, etc...and then they just up and quit, sometimes even leaving the church? I know of an elder who served in a church for years, then he just quit and no longer goes to any church. Another elder I know did well for awhile, but also no longer goes to any church. I know of two pastors who also served for years, then they just quit, the one no longer goes to any church, the other is just a regular churchgoer...doesn't serve in the leadership anymore. They didn't retire...they are all in the 30-60 yr old range....they just kinda "struggled, fizzled out, then quit"...
Could it be that sometimes people try to serve where they really didn't have a calling of God in the first place? Do you think that "once called, always called", applies with reference to God calling people into the ministry? Can you be a "temporary" pastor, elder, etc...in God's eyes? Do you think they just went where God was not leading? Just wondering...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM

255 posts, read 608,747 times
I think people have seasons in their lives. I don't see anything wrong with significantly dropping one's level of service in the church for a period.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,100 times
Personally speaking, Ive felt this, going thru is, just now coming out of the valley so to speak. Im gonna agree with MOMtoFour, I think we go thru seasons, no matter what our calling is, and sometimes when you get busy doing things for God, it leaves little time for YOUR personal time with God. Now I cant speak for everyone, but for me, I felt like I needed to recoup, rest, get back in the Bible, because sometimes it felt like I was just going thru the motions on Sunday morning. I think its a personal thing between that person and God, if they feel like its time to take a break..take one, better to take a break than burnout. Ive done both.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Personally speaking, Ive felt this, going thru is, just now coming out of the valley so to speak. Im gonna agree with MOMtoFour, I think we go thru seasons, no matter what our calling is, and sometimes when you get busy doing things for God, it leaves little time for YOUR personal time with God. Now I cant speak for everyone, but for me, I felt like I needed to recoup, rest, get back in the Bible, because sometimes it felt like I was just going thru the motions on Sunday morning. I think its a personal thing between that person and God, if they feel like its time to take a break..take one, better to take a break than burnout. Ive done both.
I totally agree with this. Regarding the OP, who's to know what happened with these people? As a pastor's son though I can tell you that I've seen it over and over again. I guess I'm one too, although I left not just for burnout, but for waivering faith at the time too.

You know what though? Not to put them on a pedestal but I can honestly say that although they have come close, my parents have never burnt out. Like I said there have been plenty of tough times but that's life, mountains and valleys! They have never waivered, never backslid, never given up, never doubted God, never stopped serving Him and doing what they feel they are called of God to do. And despite our many differences, I sincerely respect them and look up to them for that. Because really, they seem the exception rather than the rule...I have seen so many people come and go...but then again, sometimes I think that God may be taking some of them down a different path...who am I to judge?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:54 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,492 times
I think sometimes it takes experience to know how much you can handle. Two years ago I was homeschooling, teaching at CBS, the Awana Director and also did VBS at our church. The whole VBS thing was right in the middle of our move...it was a crazy year. I was also doing another bible study on the side and a personal one with a friend who was afraid of church but had a million questions. That was way too much. I cut way back...but I didn't quit it the middle. I finished my obligations first. Sometimes we are just way to ambitious!

On the other hand...sometimes I think the church can contribute to this a bit. A friend of mine was having marital problems and serving in many ministries at church and the pastor never suggested that the ministries should be cut back to make more time to be at home. I was kind of disappointed in that. It was obvious that it needed to be done, but my friend felt guilty leaving what he had already started. Sometimes circumstances make leaving in the middle necessary.

My husband has felt called to children's ministry. He started going to seminary but then got laid off and we could no longer afford the tuition. Was he wrong? Well, we don't think so. He still feels called but I think we just jumped the gun and tried to do it when we felt we should instead of waiting on God.

For me I've come to realize that my first ministry is to my husband and kids. If I'm ministering to them sufficently then I can extend more to others.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 PM

17 posts, read 50,636 times
Default There is a Movement of God that oftern requires you to leave the church ( building not the Body of Christ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
What do you all think of those who serve God in some large capacity, such as elder, pastor, teacher, etc, who do a great job for awhile, in some cases years...they're greatly respected, etc...and then they just up and quit, sometimes even leaving the church? I know of an elder who served in a church for years, then he just quit and no longer goes to any church. Another elder I know did well for awhile, but also no longer goes to any church. I know of two pastors who also served for years, then they just quit, the one no longer goes to any church, the other is just a regular churchgoer...doesn't serve in the leadership anymore. They didn't retire...they are all in the 30-60 yr old range....they just kinda "struggled, fizzled out, then quit"...
Could it be that sometimes people try to serve where they really didn't have a calling of God in the first place? Do you think that "once called, always called", applies with reference to God calling people into the ministry? Can you be a "temporary" pastor, elder, etc...in God's eyes? Do you think they just went where God was not leading? Just wondering...

Bud
It is not always a burn out situation but it could a calling to a more spiritual relationship with God. Im not a minister or elder but God called me to leave the church because he had use of me in diseminating his truth through another ministry. God is concerned about his people more than he is about the church as we know it. Just as a warning he is coming soon like a theif in the night and he will be calling some of his ministers first because they knew his truth and did not tell it therefore they cause his people to err in the way. He will soon be here and be forewarned of the distruction and wrath he will bring with him. Be like the lowly ant and store up and be prepared for this winters soltice because judgement is in the land, the politicians powerbrokers and the news media that undermine his authority in the earth will be exposed. Anoint your doors, Repent and meditate on his words so that your house will be passed over. amen

Old 08-25-2007, 12:02 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,871 times
How do you have "Personal time" with someone you cant talk to, see, hear, touch, or smell or know where they are?

Old 08-25-2007, 02:34 PM

277 posts, read 374,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Bud
I guess I can understand. I went to church every week, twice or three times a week, and the meddlesome people got to me and I just simply stop going. There are a bunch of meddlers in the church and I think they have skipped over the scripture of what the Bible says about "busy bodies".

Old 08-25-2007, 06:09 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
IMO church leaders are the same as any other person who serves in any capacity of leadership for any group of people. You just get burnt out sometimes. Doesn't mean you have lost faith or changed your religion. Maybe people get tired of listening to every little gripe, complaint, piece of gossip, and the list goes on. Maybe some of the things he is asked to help fix are beyond his capacity, maybe the person feels he is neglecting his own family by having to be with other families everytime they call him with a problem..I can understand why someone would want to step down or just step back for awhile. Don't judge these people, thank them for their service and pray for their well being.. He has probably not lost his religion at all.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,285,669 times
The body of Christ in the local church is our family, just as our biological one,
In it we have meddlesome busybodies,gossipers,backbiters all alike, we don't make a practice of divorcing or alienating our natural families, and we 're not supposed to divorce ourselves from our Christian family, in fact we are commanded in the Word of God to "forsake not the assembling of ourselves"
together, and I guess this assembling could be in our homes if we had enough room, but it happens to be a local building with a capacity to hold numbers of
people according to Fire Regulations...It is still what some call "church"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality