Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a vast difference of opinions on this subject.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM

889 posts, read 826,093 times
Good folks, but if Paul still walked the earth, there would be a new book in the Bible called: Letter to Salt Lake Citians.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There seems to be a vast difference of opinions on this subject.
Central questions:

1. do they worship God, as described in the Bible?

2. do they trust in Jesus for their eternal destiny?

Mormon Beliefs documented

Please note that these teachings are documented from Mormon writers, not anti-Mormon writers:
  1. Book of Mormon
    1. The book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible, (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461.)
  2. Devil, the
    1. The Devil was born as a spirit after Jesus "in the morning of pre-existence," (Mormon Doctrine, p. 192.)
    2. Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.)
  3. God
    1. God used to be a man on another planet (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).
    2. "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as mans..." (D&C 130:22).
  4. God, becoming a god
    1. After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345-347, 354).
    2. "Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them," (DC 132:20).
  5. God, many gods
    1. There are many gods (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163).
    2. "And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light," (Book of Abraham 4:3).
  6. God, mother goddess
    1. There is a mother god (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 443).
    2. God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children (Mormon Doctrine, p. 516).
From this site and my own reading of Mormon scriptures (look them up yourself):

Mormon Beliefs, are they Christian? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
I have heard a lot of this stuff, which seems very inconsistant with most people's ideas as to Christianity.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,950,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Central questions:

Please note that these teachings are documented from Mormon writers, not anti-Mormon writers:
  1. Book of Mormon
    1. The book of Mormon is more correct than the Bible, (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461.)
  2. Devil, the
    1. The Devil was born as a spirit after Jesus "in the morning of pre-existence," (Mormon Doctrine, p. 192.)
    2. Jesus and Satan are spirit brothers and we were all born as siblings in heaven to them both, (Mormon Doctrine, p. 163.)
  3. God
    1. God used to be a man on another planet (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321; Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, vol. 5, p. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 345; Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333).
    2. "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as mans..." (D&C 130:22).
  4. God, becoming a god
    1. After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345-347, 354).
    2. "Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them," (DC 132:20).
  5. God, many gods
    2. "And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light: and there was light," (Book of Abraham 4:3).
  6. God, mother goddess
    2. God is married to his goddess wife and has spirit children (Mormon Doctrine, p. 516).

Mormon Beliefs, are they Christian? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

But if you go here Mormon.org and move your mouse over the link titled "Our Faith" the first listing says

"JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOUR"

Does a Christian believe that Jesus Christ is our Saviour?

Old 08-10-2011, 05:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
But if you go here Mormon.org and move your mouse over the link titled "Our Faith" the first listing says

"JESUS CHRIST OUR SAVIOUR"

Does a Christian believe that Jesus Christ is our Saviour?
See that's what makes it confusing. So it boils down to whether it matters if one is worshiping God-the one who never was a man, never became God thru spiritual evolution, etc. or the Mormon "Heavenly Father" version.

I think it does, but maybe (?) God overlooks that sort of thing as long as you trust in Jesus, even if one defines Jesus as being a spirit brother of the devil. See that's what makes it confusing.

Does God overlook this sort of thing? As for me I wouldn't want to take that chance. My understanding is that Satan is a fallen angel. Never was co-equal with Jesus.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
I'm not sure what they believe but I did read a Chic tract on their beliefs and I was shocked. I only hope they believe in Jesus Christ as their savior. I did see a video on Youtube about this former mormon woman who had an OBE and was taken to Hell and came back and got saved. Here it is.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,746 times
I was a mormon for 12 years, went through the temple ceremonies and lived the required type of life and I can tell you that no, they are not Christians in the sense that they like to think they are. Their god, their savior and doctrine do not line up with the Biblical God, Jesus and doctrine. On the surface, they look similar but once you really dig in and do your research, you will find a plethora of major differences which create the divide between mormonism and Christianity.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Central questions:

1. Book of Mormon
  2. Devil, the
  3. God
  4. God, becoming a god
  5. God, many gods
  6. God, mother goddess

>>Please note that these teachings are documented from Mormon writers, not anti-Mormon writers:<<
Gospel Princibles, page 14

"All good things come from God. Everything that he does is to help his children become like him-a god. He has said, "Behold, this is my work and my glory-to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (Moses 1:39). Since we could not progress further in heaven, our Heavenly Father called a Grand Council to present his plan for our progression (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 348, 349, 365). We learned that if we followed his plan, we would become like him. We would have a resurrected body; we would have all power in heaven and on earth; we would become heavenly parents and have spirit children just as he does (see D&C 132:19-20). We learned that he would provide an earth for us where we would be tested (see Abraham 3:24-26). "

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I was a mormon for 12 years, went through the temple ceremonies and lived the required type of life and I can tell you that no, they are not Christians in the sense that they like to think they are. Their god, their savior and doctrine do not line up with the Biblical God, Jesus and doctrine. On the surface, they look similar but once you really dig in and do your research, you will find a plethora of major differences which create the divide between mormonism and Christianity.

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-10-2011 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 07:34 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality