Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,419 times

Advertisements

Glaucoma makes me slow-going, but a quickie teaser for now:

If Martin ?Stefan had behaved on arrival in Perry County, would LCMS have become less "congregational" in polity, and (just possibly) somewhat episcopal in polity?

AlanFreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Because how do I omit the Jewish’s people out of my question if every one in the bible was a Jew.
That's a big "if" isn't it? Ever heard of Pharaoh? And a few dozens of hundreds of other non-Jewish folks quite FEATURED in the Bible? How about young Titus?

AlanFreed

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I gathered from a dialogue I had a few weeks ago with an ELCA minister in the South Carolina Synod that there HAS been more talk of slowing down on the overwhelming "ecuminism at the cost of our roots" outreach and getting back to our foundations and, yes, traditions.

Bigger not always better. Also a movement again to BE the church to our communities. I am excited about getting back into that. I left several years ago when the church we were with was becoming the mega monster church more concerned about yuppy puppies feeling good than serving the community and learning, and really having theologocially based discussions.

Having been both LCMS and ELCA ...........

Alan says: "Me too, as you may have guessed."

One of my frustrations with some of the ELCA churches was people were joining the church without any clear knowledge of church doctrine and it seemed to be treated rather lilghtly by some ministers. As one who was diligently schooled in the catechism and writings of the church [yes, we have a book of concord that we crack open sometimes] I was frustrated by a "we are all the same" mentality and even heard a few ministers make doctrinially incorrect statements [such as - yes an ordained minister said this - that Baptism is something symbolic WE do, not something God does!]

AF says: You're right, of course. Poor as it is, make him read the pretty recent "The Means of Grace" from AugsburgFortress.

But the LCMS from which I came was problematic for me - [actually my campus congregation aligned with ELIM during the split [amd before AELC] -- I am in my 50s so I remember the old LCA too but only vaguely. I really had a very hard time wtih the literalism and the limited role of women and girls in the church. I do think there was a stronger foundation in core doctrine though in my LCMS upbringing. And they are very invested in their schools as well.
Alan again: ELCA could be a bit more patient with LCMS; but LCMS needs to speak strongly and clearly and DEFENSIBLY to ELCA. (Right now, advice on blogging welcome here; how do I avoid re-printing to MUCH every time? Just delete unnecessary stuff?)

Alan

Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFreed View Post
Alan again: ELCA could be a bit more patient with LCMS; but LCMS needs to speak strongly and clearly and DEFENSIBLY to ELCA. (Right now, advice on blogging welcome here; how do I avoid re-printing to MUCH every time? Just delete unnecessary stuff?)

Alan
Alan,
When you hit "quote", you will see tags at the beginning and end of what you quoted, for example:

[quote=AlanFreed;6180376 ]Alan again: ELCA could be a bit more patient with LCMS; but LCMS needs to speak strongly and clearly and DEFENSIBLY to ELCA. (Right now, advice on blogging welcome here; how do I avoid re-printing to MUCH every time? Just delete unnecessary stuff?)

Alan[/QUOTE ]

To get rid of what you don't want, just delete the unnecessary parts from between the brackets.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 PM

181 posts, read 217,774 times
I posted a very similar thread recently, titled "The 'Ask a Lutheran' Thread", unbeknownst that such a thread already exists.

I hope a moderator merges these two similar threads together.

*BUMP*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality