Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:50 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
Now you can all see why this thread was brought to you by beer (the official after-hours Lutheran Beverage since 1517).
LOL! I like ya Travis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Typical response of someone who can't back up their claims, or who has delusions of grandeur. If it will someday be revealed to all of us then why be so put off?

The problem with the wise is they are so filled with doubts while the dull are so certain.-- Bertrand Russell

The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid. --G.K. Chesterton
I can back up my claims but you do not want to listen. (Remember roll eyes)Also when I asked you question you informed me that I am off topic. You will not answer a question that you believe threatens your whole belief system. I would recommend you pick up a history book.

Here is my final question please tell me how Christianity started. I am talking true history? (Why I said Christianity is Lutherans are Christians)

By the way that was a nice cheap shot.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Good way to go around the answer. But if you believe that it was off topic I will end that discussion.
You do not keep your word.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,613 times
No posts since August? that's too bad. ELS member here and I enjoyed many of your answers Travis. Sorry that the thread went downhill. I don't know if was serious in his posting, requesting information with an open mind or not. It didn't seem like it. But alas. Should you need a conference for any answers drop me a line!

Old 10-28-2007, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Here is my final question please tell me how Christianity started. I am talking true history? (Why I said Christianity is Lutherans are Christians)
Since that is an easy one, I will field that question since Travis seems to have gone for a while.

(NIV)
Matthew 28:
5. The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified.
6. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay."

That is the first time the message of salvation was spoken. Technically the women were the first Christians. Of course they weren't called that in the beginning. Early Christians simply called themselves Disciples and Teachers of The Way.

The term "Christian," or "Christianos" for the Romanized original Greek version, originated in Antioch as we are told from Acts 11:26

26. and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

And as for the history of the early church, it is well documented within the pages of the New Testament as well as various non-scriptural period writings and traditions.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,476 times
Default Lutherans and Hell

I have now been told by both a Wisconsin Synod pastor and a Missouri Synod paster that if you don't believe exactly what they believe and how they worship, you will go to hell.

What's the story on that? I wasn't a very good Lutheran when I heard the Wisconsin Synod pastor say that and I just heard the Missouri Synod pastor echo his words. I have to admit when I first heard the Wisconsin Synod pastor, I wasn't a very religious Lutheran. But when I heard that from the mouth of the Lutheran Wisconsin Synod pastor, I pretty much "excommunicated" myself from the Lutheran Church. I have long since come back home and converted to Catholicism.

I just found that to be so arrogant and intolerant. Is what I mentioned in the first paragraph a common belief in the Lutheran faith? I believe I was Lutheran Church of America when I was a kid, and I don't remember hearing that.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 AM

As far as I'm aware, that belief isn't even that common in the Missouri Synod these days. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Wisconsin Synod, but I do know that they are somewhat more conservative than Missouri. What was the question itself? I know some LCMS clergy who might be able to shed some light on how typical an answer that is.

The breakdown of the bigger synods kind of goes as follows (from my point of view) on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being more liberal, 1 being more conservative. :
The ELCA (formerly the LCA and ALC) varies from 5 to 10.
The LCMS (Missouri Synod) varies from 3 to 6.
The WELS (Wisconsin Synod) varies from 1 to 3.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:14 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisW View Post
As far as I'm aware, that belief isn't even that common in the Missouri Synod these days. I don't have a whole lot of experience with the Wisconsin Synod, but I do know that they are somewhat more conservative than Missouri. What was the question itself? I know some LCMS clergy who might be able to shed some light on how typical an answer that is.

The breakdown of the bigger synods kind of goes as follows (from my point of view) on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being more liberal, 1 being more conservative. :
The ELCA (formerly the LCA and ALC) varies from 5 to 10.
The LCMS (Missouri Synod) varies from 3 to 6.
The WELS (Wisconsin Synod) varies from 1 to 3.
The question is: Does some or all of the Lutheran Church believe if you don't believe exactly what they believe and how they worship, you will go to hell?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 AM

The best answer I can give is: It would have to be a significant minority that says that if you don't believe exactly as they do that you'll go to hell. Most would say that salvation is through Christ alone; but to say that you have to unconditionally subscribe to the Lutheran Confessions for salvation is pretty much fanatical and I would say anti-Biblical.

From my experience, it's definitely a very atypical doctrine, but I guess it doesn't entirely surprise me. Every belief (even non-belief) has its Taliban.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,422 times
I roughly agree with your numerals. Any opinion on a difference in ELCA having resulted from mergers, while the others are the product of fragmentation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality