Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the right of a Muslim student to pray in public school?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,581,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts_2_christian View Post
If this were a muslim nation then yes
Well we see how committed you are to your christianity, you are just a follower, ready to go with the majority so you won't be an outcast or ostracized................. now there is courage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,892,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.

Although I am still in college, I absolutely support this, and I am a devout Catholic with 12 years of Catholic School. They have that right, regardless of school, because to do otherwise would trample on their religious beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I don't understand the whole bogus moment of silence thing. If I remember correctly, in school we already had various moments of silence all throughout the day. When we were finished reading for example, we were told to sit quietly until the bell rang. Bam! A moment of silence right there without it having to be designated as prayer or meditation or what have you. If someone is so concerned about praying, don't you think that they could find a minute out of their day to do it on their own, instead of trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence"? If the only moment of silence in a classroom occurs just in that one minute so designated, then there is much more wrong with the school that any prayer could fix.
It's called respect. Take a moment out of your day to honor others and to reflect on what could be learned. Personally, I do find a minute out of my day to pray on my own, but the "moment of silence" is a matter of respect, something that I think there is not enough of today, ESPECIALLY when it comes to politics. There are too many loud people in this county who seem to have little to no respect for people with different beliefs, and it REALLY ticks me off. In school, we learned to respect other religions and to tolerate things we may or may not disagree with. We also learned to be honest and respectful to all people, not just those who we're similar to. So please, take a lesson that I learned from the clergy, and respect others and be honest.

Last edited by jknic; 09-11-2011 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,789,985 times
Moment of silence is good enough for me....too many issues nowdays to do it any other way

Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 PM

664 posts, read 857,683 times
i got nooooo problem wit it mon. LET US PRAY!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:47 PM

664 posts, read 857,683 times
well, it really doesn't matter if they have prayer in schools or not. if the child believes in God, they can pray before they go to school. nobody can stop you from doing it if that's what you want to do.

LET US PRAY MON!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,215,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Although I am still in college, I absolutely support this, and I am a devout Catholic with 12 years of Catholic School. They have that right, regardless of school, because to do otherwise would trample on their religious beliefs.

It's called respect. Take a moment out of your day to honor others and to reflect on what could be learned. Personally, I do find a minute out of my day to pray on my own, but the "moment of silence" is a matter of respect, something that I think there is not enough of today, ESPECIALLY when it comes to politics. There are too many loud people in this county who seem to have little to no respect for people with different beliefs, and it REALLY ticks me off. In school, we learned to respect other religions and to tolerate things we may or may not disagree with. We also learned to be honest and respectful to all people, not just those who we're similar to. So please, take a lesson that I learned from the clergy, and respect others and be honest.
What about respecting other people's rights not to participate in religious activity? You can pray whenever you want but don't try to dragoon me into your accommodations. I will not silence myself to appease these arbitrary standards any more than I will fast because other people are. If you want to pray, meditate, fast, etc. on your own, fine. Just don't force it on other people at a school or work environment. You seem to mistake the concepts of respecting people, respecting the ideas and beliefs of people and making others follow out of coercion or mandate.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
What about respecting other people's rights not to participate in religious activity? You can pray whenever you want but don't try to dragoon me into your accommodations. I will not silence myself to appease these arbitrary standards any more than I will fast because other people are. If you want to pray, meditate, fast, etc. on your own, fine. Just don't force it on other people at a school or work environment. You seem to mistake the concepts of respecting people, respecting the ideas and beliefs of people and making others follow out of coercion or mandate.
A moment of silence is not religious. You should silence yourself to show respect for those involved in the probably tragic event your are being silent for. If you want to pray, meditate, plan your day, reflect, that's your business, but you should produce some outward sign of respect to other people during a tragedy, and a moment of silence is one of the best ways. To stop our hustle and bustle and just take a moment. All you're really doing by not being silent, is ticking people off, and making yourself appear to be a disrespectful, arrogant, fool who is not willing to humble himself in respect for his fellow man. Don't try and go against the flow and change stuff just for the sake of change. There's too much change for the sake of change going on in today's world and it's getting in the way of more important issues (such as the fact that our economy is in the toilet)

Also, while you have the right to not participate, choosing not to do so only makes you look like an idiot.

One more thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodoovalley View Post
Amen to that brother! Let's be honest here. You don't need a platform to do your prayers in school. This has become a classic, "look at me and my rightiousness" issue. Wanna pray, do it in the toilet stall or on the bus. This is all about attention and recognition. PERIOD!
I think that this is a two way street, with not religious trying to say "look at me and how better I am than the religious"

Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,738,211 times
Quote:
A moment of silence is not religious.
But, it could be, and if it is, some may need to cover their head or take out a prayer rug or a statue of their ancestors or ...

Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
But, it could be, and if it is, some may need to cover their head or take out a prayer rug or a statue of their ancestors or ...

While a moment of silence CAN be religious, it does not have to be. Again, covering/uncovering one's head can be a sign of respect, not prayer.

edit:

Just realized that you said could be... in which case, well I would suppose it depends on where it's occurring and the nature of the ceremony. If it's something associated with the government, they probably shouldn't make it religious. In general, I don't think it's something that we should really make that big of a deal over.

Last edited by jknic; 09-11-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 08:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,738,211 times
Quote:
While a moment of silence CAN be religious, it does not have to be.
But, almost everything I've read about a moment of silence indicated that it may be used for a silent religious prayer.

Quote:
Again, covering/uncovering one's head can be a sign of respect, not prayer.
It is a Jewish sign of respect to the Almighty to whom the prayer is directed.

Quote:
In general, I don't think it's something that we should really make that big of a deal over.
Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 06-13-2013 at 05:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality