Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:11 PM

277 posts, read 374,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Why would an atheist want to read the Bible, except perhaps for a laugh (after reading where a drunk Noah was found passed out and "immodestly" unclothed by his son, or when Jesus walked on a lake water surface during a storm just to freak out his disciples)? Much of the Bible was written by folks whose descendants today walk around with little boxes tied to their foreheads. (Tefillin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Not all atheists came upon their decision not to believe overnight. As I stated before, many of them are quite educated in the religious domain. One of my best friends, Chad, is an atheist and when he says something about the Bible or any religious belief, he does not state it in a jaded view, he states it rather "matter of factly". Chad dabbled in Christianity, then in Judaism, then even reviewed the beliefs of Wiccan and Buddhism, but he found himself rejecting all of it.

The way I see it is simple. I accept him for being an atheist and he accepts me for being gay. I think it is a rather fair thing. If I was not friends with people because of differences of opinion, philosophy, etc., then I would be rather lonely in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Default Open Minded

Being open-minded about the entire subject of religion/spirituality (and I realize there is a difference); I won't debate this topic because to do so would be a waste of time and causes unnecessary stress. I sure do have a lot of questions though.

I am in full agreement that most people who read the bible, or any religious book, will come up with their own interpretations. And no one has the right to tell anyone who or what to believe.

It doesn't make sense that humans ended up here for no reason, or animals, plants, or anything on Earth. And I find it very difficult to accept that we are the only living souls in the entire universe. But, how we got here and just where other living souls are is definitely a question I ask. Maybe I'll never know, and maybe sometime I will know.

I don't want to be judged by my fellow man, and I don't judge others. That being said; what is truly wrong are those who profess to be a Christian and are the first in line to mistreat others (and let me also say that not all Christians are that way...please don't anyone get offended). At the company I work for, we have a group who claim to be Christians and have weekly bible study get-togethers. They talk the talk, but in actuality, these same people are the ones who don't hesitate to stab others in the back and treat them worst than junk yard dogs. Our receptionist will have a religious show blaring from a radio at her desk and preach to others, but behind the scenes she is very mean and cruel.

I would think that if Christians want to entice others to join their belief system, that the first thing they'd do is set a good example. Not treat others badly and drive them away.

What or Who exactly is God? Is it a person? And of what gender? Does this "person" sit in a chair/throne in the sky somewhere? When people refer to God, what exactly are they referring to? It does confuse me when people state that God loves them....yet when their life is in shambles or they suffer extreme emotional or physical pain, they excuse it as being God's will. If this God loves them so much, why would he/she inflict disaster/pain on them? When a parent hurts their child here on Earth, they are, or should be punished. Should we not say that it was the parent's will that they hurt their child and let it go at that? Should we allow the 'earth' parent to mistreat their children and say it is their way of teaching their child and making a diamond from the rough? And say that the parent will not give the child any more than the child can handle? Should we say the parent has a plan and the mistreatment is just part of the overall plan?

Is religion a form of a guilt trip? Do many people say they believe so they can avoid what they have been told about an eternity of burning in Hell?

Christians say that their religion is the only way. Other religions claim their beliefs are the only way. So, who is right?

I attended Catholic school and the nuns were the most unhappy and cruel people I'd ever met. I couldn't wait to get back to public school.

This is a good topic, but again, I won't debate the issue. I don't have all the answers.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 AM

Katie45- "I would think that if Christians want to entice others to join their belief system, that the first thing they'd do is set a good example. Not treat others badly and drive them away."

Why would atheists want to attract people to atheism? To my knowledge, atheism is not a belief is it more of a non-belief and I do not think they have an organized church meeting or group of people that come together.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:13 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
[quote=FireballFL;1346898]Katie45- "I would think that if Christians want to entice others to join their belief system, that the first thing they'd do is set a good example. Not treat others badly and drive them away."

My point exactly. That's why it confuses me when those who call themselves Christians treat others so badly, are in grumpy moods the majority of the time, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 PM

[quote=katie45;1351224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
Katie45- "I would think that if Christians want to entice others to join their belief system, that the first thing they'd do is set a good example. Not treat others badly and drive them away."

My point exactly. That's why it confuses me when those who call themselves Christians treat others so badly, are in grumpy moods the majority of the time, etc.
Atheists are better at parties too. I want my shots of Jager sometimes. With atheists, I do not have to fear the preachiness, with Christians......... let's just say they fear what is in the Kool-Aid.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,717 times
[quote=katie45;1351224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post

You are very right here and this is exactly why a left the church I was attending. Christian on Sunday and whatever the rest of the week. I have to say not "ALL CHRISTIANS" act this way.
From what I have seen the ones that act like this haven't actually read the Bible or don't have what you call a "RELATIONSHIP" with OUR LORD. God describes these people in the Bible and their fate is worse then the non believer.

Also, remember Christians are not perfect and some are just having a bad week!!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:42 AM

606 posts, read 699,522 times
Quote:
if your faith did not convert after reading the bible (atheism is a faith too), what was the main reason?
Bible is a great book with great stories....but there's no evidence to prove its correctness.It's all about tale.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
If christians can't agree on scripture and act like they do here sometimes how the heck so they expect an athiest or another religion to want to join christianity..I started just calling myself a believer a long time ago after half a lifetime of hearing so many christians insult one another over a verse in the bible that they didn't see eye to eye on. One thing that some christians do not realize is that you cannot expect anyone without faith to believe in a creator...I say a christian should not try to "shange" an athiest, unless he has a desire to know God, and has asked questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality