Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

Hey all you athiests, how's it going? I was thinking about you guys the other day and I was wondering if you ever took the time to truly read the bible (at least just the New Testament)? I know probably only those who have read the bible will chime in this thread, but that's ok.

One thing that I find helps the skeptic would be to try reading a good quality bible like the NASM or KJV versions. I remember be giving a plain old bible that had no footnotes or guidance tools and was left trying to deciper every little verse. It wrecked havoc on the mind (and I was doing this as a young child). It was not until I started reading a "study bible" that it started making sense.

Nonetheless, if your faith did not convert after reading the bible (atheism is a faith too), what was the main reason?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,386 times
Yes. In fact, I find more often than not that when discussing religion it's usually the atheist whose read more than the christian. I believe every atheist strongly recommends christians read the bible because once you do, then you might start seeing the contradictions and the nuttiness.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
Yes. In fact, I find more often than not that when discussing religion it's usually the atheist whose read more than the christian. I believe every atheist strongly recommends christians read the bible because once you do, then you might start seeing the contradictions and the nuttiness.
While I don't agree with your last sentence, I do wholeheartedly agree with your first sentences! So true, good point. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM

First is to read it. Next is to see how it was decided what should be in it. Then look at what was not put in it and ask why.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
I dropped out of catholicism. Spent 13 years, 180 days a year in religion classes. I know the bible and I know every in an out of how screwed up God is in the old testament (Psycopathic murderer) not to mention the neglect of reason and things that are scientifically impossible, and then new testament which is written by people that ate wheat that had a hallucagenec (poor spelling) bacteria/mold growing on it.

The bible is a good fiction, but that's about it.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey all you athiests, how's it going? I was thinking about you guys the other day and I was wondering if you ever took the time to truly read the bible (at least just the New Testament)?
Nonetheless, if your faith did not convert after reading the bible (atheism is a faith too), what was the main reason?

Thanks.
Yes, I have read it.
I began questioning christianity at 13 years old - in the same year that I studied major world religions in my high school. It was the first time that I had learned the deeper facts about other religions. To put it simply, I realized that the other faiths were no less valid than mine.
At this time I had studied the bible for my whole life. I was young but I read the entire thing methodically, and I believed in it.
My reading of the bible did not affect my faith - the knowledge of other holy books and other religions did.

Also, I am not a true atheist. I suppose you mean that atheists "have faith" that there is no god, etc. Well, I don't have that faith in that idea either, I'm simply not a believer, so I guess I'm that other A-word... agnostic?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey all you athiests, how's it going? I was thinking about you guys the other day and I was wondering if you ever took the time to truly read the bible (at least just the New Testament)? I know probably only those who have read the bible will chime in this thread, but that's ok.

Thanks.
I'm an athiest, and I've read the New Testament in its entirety, but it has been a long time. I've skipped around the Old Testament, but in general I had a pretty thorough religious (Methodist) education.

My problem was always that
(a). Individuals pick and choose what they want to take literally, and what they want to interpret.

(b). When interpreting, people often interpret stories and passages in ways that are convenient to them.

(c). The most important stories (typically involving Jesus, or Revelation) are the ones that I specifically do not believe.

On an unrelated note, I think the idea that "Atheism is a faith" is looking at things through thick Christian glasses. I never thought of myself as converting to Athiesm, but rather that I was trimming away that burdensome aspect of my life which was "faith in some higher power". If that higher power is out there, he/she/it needs to find a better way to communicate with me.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

Also, I am not a true atheist. I suppose you mean that atheists "have faith" that there is no god, etc. Well, I don't have that faith in that idea either, I'm simply not a believer, so I guess I'm that other A-word... agnostic?
Good point, but you still find yourself questioning or have you given up all hope and will no longer seek the answers to what happens after we die?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM

There are no answers you can find.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
There are no answers you can find.
is that because you DON"T want to find them? Will you ever consider seeking again in the future? Lets say that Jesus came down from the sky and said I AM GOD. Will you then think that maybe you took too many painkillers in the morning? I guess if you already have your mind set, then it's set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality