Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:07 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

Sorry, but I did not ask what YOU believe. I honestly do not care. The topic of the thread is "Do you think you can see what is going on on Earth after you're dead?" And in the OP, I specifically said that the question is for people who believe in life after death.
Do you think you will be able to post on this forum after you're dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
In response to the OP: Of course not. I'm going to be cremated: the final instance of making an ash of myself. But it's impossible to see when one is dead and six feet under as well.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No

Dead is dead

The end
How do you know that?
There being an afterlife is much more logical.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How do you know that?
There being an afterlife is much more logical.
That is as logical as assuming the weeds growing along the side of the road have an afterlife.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Have you tried to contact him? There are quite a few techniques you could use. Have you heard of the "Psychomanteum?" (Not sure if that is the right spelling)?
I don't think many if any of the dead would like to be contacted. I'd bet they'd like to revered but not contacted.
I'am not a Bible scholar but who can forget about King Saul and the medium? Why have you disturbed me? Was reportedly the first thing Samuel ask. He was pissed. He goes on to say "Tommorow you and your boys will with me." Obviously this was the complete opposite of what King Saul wanting to hear.

Whilst laying in bed (alone) Saturday night I felt a difinite jossling of my 4 poster bed. It only happened once and it lasted >3secs nothing else in the room moved. The jossling occured once. I tried but could not re-create the jossle so I thought earthquake? No. Not in this area it's unheard of... Joseph? The next morning I heard about the earthquake in the heartland; it wasn't Joseph. It was my first encounter with after-shocks. I reported the shocks this a.m. Shocks were felt/reported hundreds of miles away from epi-center. It was a big quake 5.6 to be exact.

I think I'll just leave well enough alone on the matter of purposely contacting the dead. I have very lucid dreams and they (Joseph is exception) visit me from time to time. In my dreams none of my relatives appear sad. They are still in action and they do not act as though they know they are deceased but I do and this tends to hinder/nag the dreams. I just can't get past the fact that these people are dead but I want to enjoy the moments but. They don't speak about their deaths and I do not either. In one dream I fished with my mother and maternal grandmother. They had no questions and seemed to really be into the fishing. In the dream I couldn't concentrate on fishing I remember I had laid my pole down unconsciouly because I couldn't quit starring at them out of the side-eye of course.
In another dream I was visited by paternal grandmother. She had a new home and she was there busy in the kitchen preparing a post-church Sunday feast. I really wanted to ask her what did she think about Pawpaw getting remarried one month after her death but he was there too, reclining in the lounge chair! I remember going into the bathroom and noticing my grandmother had hung her Sunday dress on the back of the door. I touched and smelled it; it smelled of her. I returned to the family area and just enjoyed the rest of the dream. I don't think she wanted to hear about Pawpaw's remarriage or perhaps she already knew. I don't know. But what I do know is that she appeared content.

As for my brother, perhaps he will be the one who recieves/walks with me when the moment of death arrives.

On another note the Muslims speak of Jinns these I believe are real and are most likely whom the mediums are contacting.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Sure. When our physical bodies die we simply return to our "normal" state of being, which is spiritual. We must all remember that while here on Earth, we are not physical beings trying to attain spiritual lives, but rather spiritual beings attempting to navigate through a physical existence.
I think that this whole "spirit" or "soul" concept is not based in any sort of mystical thinking at all. Rather, it's based on science, on physics. "Field Theory." Our souls are merely energy fields, and when the physical constrictions of those fields--our bodies--cease to function, the Soul ascends back to its natural State. (Break open an electrical capacitor and an electrical charge will be emitted.)
See? This after-life stuff is actually science, not mysticism; we just don;t have sufficient means to detect or measure it yet. Just as, say, back in the 14th century those people would not be able to detect TV or radio or cell phone transmissions like we easily and routinely do now.
So, when we die, we return to Pure Spirit and have become part of some sort of Astral Plane that permeates our physical world. It's both seperate from, and part of it. I think that if we wish, we can "watch" or more accurately, become aware of, the daily affairs here on Earth. And we can tune-in as well to the lives of any loved ones we still have down here. I think we might be able to do this in much the same way that we now think about someone and see them in our "mind's eye."
But once we've returned to our True Spirit Nature, we simply use this same sort of practice: "thinking" about someone or someplace on Earth, and then, through Astral Projection, we will actually be seeing them, and in reality as they are, and not just in our mind's eye like we are constricted to now.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Assuming arguendo there is life after death, I will say that if there is no light, we would not be able to see after we died. And, if we have no method to capture light, we will not be able to see after we die.

Put differently, for us to be able to see after we die, we will need both light and a method to capture that light. Since we know of none, I would assume that there will not be sight in the traditional sense.

Although if by some mechanism we are sentient after we die, we may be able to have a sensation similar to sight, through means I am unaware of.
In any case, being able to see is not proof of consciousness in and of itself. I can't see now and I'm very much alive. So whether or not we can see after death does not really get to the bottom of the matter, which is if there is consciousness after death.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Quote:
This question is obviously for people who believe in "life after death." My personal belief is in reincarnation.

I am looking forward to death, IF it means I cannot see what is going on down here on Earth.

Does anyone know of any religious texts that speak of this issue?

If I have to know what is going on down here, I am going to be seriously ticked off.
I don't know, I haven't been there yet. However I'm always thinking of my parents who have passed away. Can they see what I am doing? Can they now read my thoughts? This has always kept me on the 'straight-and-narrow', more so then when they were alive. Maybe they can read my actions and thoughts and are subconsciously warning me. And of course I would like to see what my children and grandchildern are doing after I die. Hopefully there is a way I can reach them if I can fortell their future and warn them of the path they are going.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Sure. When our physical bodies die we simply return to our "normal" state of being, which is spiritual. We must all remember that while here on Earth, we are not physical beings trying to attain spiritual lives, but rather spiritual beings attempting to navigate through a physical existence.
So you believe you will come back as a voyeur, and watch your children, or even your surviving spouse have sex with their new lover. That would mean that your dead parents come back and watch you.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
imcurious: Surely you must realize that what one believes is inseparable from his answer to the question you asked. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality