Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 12,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
'Women should remain silent in churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church'.

WOW!!!! I think the protestant churches have some explaining to do, specially when they have female clergy.

Maybe Paul was sexist. Doesn't mean the compassion of God that Jesus delivers is. I was personaly never interested in the ruloes of the church. I look to Christ for all my answeres. That's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,933,218 times
Default "You there! Whooo-Man! Do this! Do That! Make Me A Sandwich! And Do It Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
According to most moderate to liberal evangelicals, this verse "does not apply today," it was a "cultural reference" that only "applied to the Corinthian church of the time." How convenient.
Hmmm... about 1 year ago, I was hot into the debate with a devout literalist poster here as regards the credible literality of the Great Noah's Ark Flood mythology. How it ABSOLUTELY DID HAPPEN, and how it thus es'playn'd a lot of what we can and do see when we gaze down upon, for instance, the Grand Canyon. Or in the existence of the world's various organic diversity (hee hee...)

As in: it fits a needed explanation, yes?

Undt Zo. I want to know: which is it? Literal, or Not Literal?

(I also once had a now-departed overly religious friend (my choice to exclude him since he was getting obnoxious about his religion...), when he burst home one afternoon and lovingly told his devout Suth'uhn Baptist wife that the official stand taken that day (≈ 2002?) by that church's elders was exactly as this passage says:

In essence, a man shall have complete dominance and control over his wife, that she shall do his bidding without question, shall ask his permission as regards all important things, etc. etc.

Charming.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
(I also once had a now-departed overly religious friend (my choice to exclude him since he was getting obnoxious about his religion...), when he burst home one afternoon and lovingly told his devout Suth'uhn Baptist wife that the official stand taken that day (≈ 2002?) by that church's elders was exactly as this passage says:

In essence, a man shall have complete dominance and control over his wife, that she shall do his bidding without question, shall ask his permission as regards all important things, etc. etc.

Charming.
Shouldn't that be ex-wife? Surely no sane person puts up with that kind of abuse voluntarily.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,106,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Just another reason why Christianity is total nonsense.
Overly harsh.
Jesus of Nazareth was a splendid teacher and his words and deeds have inspired millions, and helped them live good, productive and decent lives. His words have also comforted many in their time of need.
I think you might have a valid point if you were to say that much of the Old Testament stories are "total nonsense"--at least if your insist on reading it like a history book, instead of the compendium of fables and myths and allegory that it is.
And you could even state that much "nonsense" has been done in the name of Christianity.
But to smugly write-off all of Christ's Teachings as "nonsense" is crass over-gerneralization, and IMHO not worthy of the othewrwise fine and provocative agnostic-tinged posts you usually share.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,433,524 times
I never said Christ's teachings were nonsense. I love the teachings of Jesus, such as helping the poor, turning the other cheek, resisting greed and revenge. By "Christianity," I said that I think that the religion that grew up around Jesus is total nonsense, and I stand by that statement. Jesus -- whether he was a historical person or simply a myth -- was a wise teacher. The 95% of the (orthodox) Christian religion that has nothing to do with him is what is nonsense.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:02 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusOdinThor View Post
Maybe Paul was sexist. Doesn't mean the compassion of God that Jesus delivers is. I was personaly never interested in the ruloes of the church. I look to Christ for all my answeres. That's me.
That's mighty convenient.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,052,204 times
I'm so glad my previous post on the inauthenticity of those verses had as little effect as it did lol!~

Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,810,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Overly harsh.
Jesus of Nazareth was a splendid teacher and his words and deeds have inspired millions, and helped them live good, productive and decent lives. His words have also comforted many in their time of need.
I think you might have a valid point if you were to say that much of the Old Testament stories are "total nonsense"--at least if your insist on reading it like a history book, instead of the compendium of fables and myths and allegory that it is.
And you could even state that much "nonsense" has been done in the name of Christianity.
But to smugly write-off all of Christ's Teachings as "nonsense" is crass over-gerneralization, and IMHO not worthy of the othewrwise fine and provocative agnostic-tinged posts you usually share.
We don't know what Jesus actually said. We have no eye witness accounts. Paul's teachings? Well, I never was a big fan of Paul.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 12,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's mighty convenient.

I have never been a church-goer, and I don't woship God through Paul. I worship God through Jesus. I also don't worship God through Moses or sacrifice animals and spread it's blood around, or kill all children that disobeys their parents.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,756,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Overly harsh.
Really?

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. -- Matthew 10:37

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

"It is not good to marry."
After Jesus denounces divorce, his disciples say that if divorce isn't allowed, then "it is good not to marry." Jesus agrees by saying that it is better to make yourself a eunuch "for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." 19:10

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children as required by Old Testament law. 7:9-10

Jesus prophesies that families will be divided because of him and his teachings. Sadly, this is one prophecy that has been fulfilled. 12:52-53

Yeah, that jesus was a great inspiration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality