Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:03 PM

37 posts, read 80,027 times

Advertisements

Why do some churches believe in having a woman minister when 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 strictly states that women should keep silent in the church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 08:10 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancchick07 View Post
Why do some churches believe in having a woman minister when 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 strictly states that women should keep silent in the church?

ah geez, you've really asked for it now. I'm gonna sit back and watch this with................... well anyway, GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Because not enough men want to be ministers.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:55 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
I left the Church of Christ after almost 45 years of being in submission..I have discussed this many times on this forum..I have nothing against my former brothers and sisters, in fact my husband is a devout generation after generation member. Yes, I do understand that we were nondenominational and some of the churches are a little more liberal

Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Default Maybe this is the answer..

Quote:
THE STATUS OF WOMEN IN THE CHRISTIAN SCRIPTURES' (NEW TESTAMENT) EPISTLES

1 Corinthians 14:34-35: "...women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says, If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." (NIV) This is a curious passage. It appears to prohibit all talking by women during services. But it contradicts verse 11:5, in which St. Paul states that women can actively pray and prophesy during services.
Many theologians have concluded that verses 14:33b to 36 are a later addition, added by an unknown counterfeiter with little talent at forgery. Bible scholar, Hans Conzelmann, comments on these three and a half verses: "Moreover, there are peculiarities of linguistic usage, and of thought. [within them]." 6 If they are removed, then Verse 33a merges well with Verse 37 in a seamless transition. Since they were a later forgery, they do not fulfill the basic requirement to be considered inerrant: they were not in the original manuscript written by Paul.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 PM

179 posts, read 333,382 times
Fruit (being able to bring people to Christ) is the sign of God's approval.

mt 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

lk 6:43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

So an unapproved currupt ministry cannot bear the fruit of the kingdom.

jn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

And because Father God controls who gets drawn to the Son, the ministry approval is all controlled by God. And because of this, these same laws apply to Satan.

mt 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

mk 3:26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.

lk 11:18 If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub.

A ministry not approved of by God, cannot produce good fruit. And Satan cannot produce good fruit because he would be working against himself.

Example:
This is also why theistic evolution cannot be used to bring people to Christ. This is why you want see these things when evolution is part of the belief:

1) Tracts that show how theistic evolution can bring someone to Christ.
2) Street corner theistic evolution preachers.
3) Theistic evolution cursades to bring people to Christ.
4) Thesitic evolution missionaries.

etc...

If evolution had a God drawing power to save people, it would be used to do just that. But it don't. And that is the example of what happens when God's approval is not in it.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
Fruit (being able to bring people to Christ) is the sign of God's approval.

mt 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

lk 6:43 For a good tree bringeth not forth corrupt fruit; neither doth a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

So an unapproved currupt ministry cannot bear the fruit of the kingdom.

jn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

And because Father God controls who gets drawn to the Son, the ministry approval is all controlled by God. And because of this, these same laws apply to Satan.

mt 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

mk 3:26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.

lk 11:18 If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand? because ye say that I cast out devils through Beelzebub.

A ministry not approved of by God, cannot produce good fruit. And Satan cannot produce good fruit because he would be working against himself.

Example:
This is also why theistic evolution cannot be used to bring people to Christ. This is why you want see these things when evolution is part of the belief:

1) Tracts that show how theistic evolution can bring someone to Christ.
2) Street corner theistic evolution preachers.
3) Theistic evolution cursades to bring people to Christ.
4) Thesitic evolution missionaries.

etc...

If evolution had a God drawing power to save people, it would be used to do just that. But it don't. And that is the example of what happens when God's approval is not in it.

I don't get it.. Am I the tree, the fruit, the corrupt tree or the corrupt fruit.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
My short answer? Maybe because those word were written thousands of years ago, when women were still considered the property of their husbands. So if you believe in all the "laws" (in the Bible) about a woman's place, we'd better accept our position as a silent & obedient possession... uh, no thanks. Luckily it's now the year 2007, and people have evolved beyond that! I don't see why a woman is any less qualified to spread the word of religion/God, and I'm very happy with the female Rabbi at our temple.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
[quote=bigthirsty;1607573]THE STATUS OF WOMEN IN THE CHRISTIAN SCRIPTURES' (NEW TESTAMENT) EPISTLES

1 Corinthians 14:34-35: "...women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says [Unquote]

I think maybe the key is found in what was hinted at in the scripture: it was a law. My question is: what law? A law of God, perhaps in the OT? Or, a law of men, in that city, or country? And why? Personally, I don't have a problem with women speaking in the church...I would REALLY research this one out carefully before trying to apply it to modern day churches...

Bud

Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
women are very good administrators.
when guys step back and remain silent too much, however it causes problems. you only want guys to back up some not fold up entirely.
for a long time we have been encouraging more assertive (aggresive spelled nice) behavior in girls and suppressing agressive behavior in boys.
we are reaping the fruit of this in many ways. not all of it is bad some of it is bad. it shows up in the church too ,which is only a micromodel of our society wearing its best clothes.
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality