Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You have the Christianese down to a science, man. You're still in the early stages of deconversion.

I spoke like you and we surely shared a similar experience. Words like "deny," "filthy rags," "servant," "humble," "sanctification" and so on were part of my daily vocabulary.
You forgot "regeneration," "praise and worship," "sexual purity," "seeking god's will," "discernment," "devotion/quiet time," and "small group."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
You left The Christian Faith and Worldview due to intellectual reasons ?! You couldnt possibly think this is more intellectually logical :

1. Nothing creating something as incredibly complex and fine tuned as our Universe is so we could have a planet totally suitable to us (out of nothing and unwilled).
I see - I don't know or understand so God of the Bible did it. The way matter and energy interact with itself is pretty complex - no need for God. Why do you think matter/energy could not be eternal? Why do you think that the Big Bang teaches that there was 'nothing' (in a non-physics sense) then it exploded or created - no one I know tells that story. Even if some Intelligence was needed why would this Intelligence have to be the Biblical God and not part and parcel of the Universe itself?

Quote:
2. Human Beings ultimately arriving from accidental unpurposed Pond Scum via dead raw chemicals graduating to having a human brain which even vast technological advances cant duplicate , yet chance and accidents did ?!
Once again your ignorance compels you to invoke metaphysical beings. Abiogenesis is not a FACT of science -- yet -- and no one claims it to be so. But there has been much progress in finding some of the steps necessary at each of the three levels of research: Biological monomers (already a done deal), Biological polymers (some steps), and the Chemical Evolution from Biomolocules (also some steps) to either a non-genetic reproductive cycle (Metobolic Pathway first theories) or to genetic based repoductive cycles (which can include pre-cellular reproduction like RNA or pre-RNA molecules). Steps have been found at each of these - it is quite exciting and amazing how nature works without a metaphysical being - yet with that said there needs to be a lot of work.

So yes it is logical to think that it did happen and that we will find the general pathways - it is called inference based upon the above scientific results, which is more than you have been able to muster in suggesting that the specifics of the Biblical God must be the solution to your ignorance (that is - the gaps in the scientific knowledge at this point). That my friend is what is an illogical fairy tale.

Quote:
3. Blowing off everything to random unpurposed non meaningful accidents upon compilations of accidents when you examine every thing in life.
Why is that you think there is no purpose meaning to this life if there is no teleological or transcendent purpose beyond it? That is foolish.

Quote:
4. Seeing yourself and humanity having no intrinsic worth or dignity since our origin is a Pond Protozoa.
See above - also, no one, except a very few, see themselves this way. Your shortsightedness is amazing. Also, I am not sure how you would define those terms - I am sure it would be something that by definition excludes the possibility of anything being contrary to you narrow field of vision.

Quote:
Are you sure you didnt have some personal ulterior motives for leaving that youre not telling us about? Every former Atheist ive interviewed did, including myself.
AH! here we go again - the ole you weren't really a true Christian or you are just mad at God - TCD - again.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,747,090 times
Quote:
I spoke like you and we surely shared a similar experience. Words like "deny," "filthy rags," "servant," "humble," "sanctification" and so on were part of my daily vocabulary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You forgot "regeneration," "praise and worship," "sexual purity," "seeking god's will," "discernment," "devotion/quiet time," and "small group."
And the most special word of them all....'back slider'.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,122,735 times
Quote:
How convenient. It seems obvious that the original authors didn't intend it that way, because they said "[Satan] took Jesus up to a high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world." It implies a flat earth.
I like my interpretation better.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,009,130 times
Quote:
Well, I didn't want to shut down City-Data with the extensive "Christianese" list. lol

"Exalt thee"

"in his presence"

"Faith" (verb form)

"fill me up" (VERY suggestive when you think about it and as a guy, I shudder to explore the thought)

"highest praise"

Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
OK.

However, just because you like something doesn't mean it is true.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
You have the Christianese down to a science, man. You're still in the early stages of deconversion.

I am just giving the perspective of how Christians think and talk - I try forego the the irrelevant responses like - 'That's not what I meant' or 'It did not say it that way'

I try to respect that that's how they view it so I say it like it is - for them and their beliefs.

Then again maybe later down the road I will just say screw it - who cares. But it does reduce the emotionalism associated with mischaracterizing or misquoting them. In describing or explaining 'the faith' we should not be afraid to 'sound' christian - if only to make ourselves more clear and persuasive.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
That's called TCB and it is associated with TCD.

Theological Cognitive Bias and Theological Cognitive Dissonance.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And the most special word of them all....'back slider'.
No! No! No!

It is APOSTATE!!!! That makes them really think twice.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Well, I didn't want to shut down City-Data with the extensive "Christianese" list. lol

"Exalt thee"

"in his presence"

"Faith" (verb form)

"fill me up" (VERY suggestive when you think about it and as a guy, I shudder to explore the thought)

"highest praise"
This is fun!

Some more Christianese:

"have a blessed day" -- good day with a Jesus twist.

"creation science" -- faith-based unscientific Biblical literalist tripe dressed up in a scientific veneer. Has been debunked numerous times, including on this very thread.

"youth group" -- usually a middle/high school kids' worship and brainwashing gathering, but some churches include "kids" in college and even up to age 25 (!).

"young adults/singles group" -- a youth group for 20-somethings.

"struggling with homosexuality" -- gay.

"confused" -- gay.

"struggling with SSA (same-sex attraction) -- closeted gay.

"lost" -- atheist, agnostic, or otherwise non-Christian.

"witnessing" -- proselytizing.

"missions" -- overseas/out-of-town proselytizing.

"anointed by god" -- in a position of power or overly emotional, depending on context.

"true Christian" -- someone who agrees with your theology and doesn't do anything that you don't like.

"fake Christian" -- someone who doesn't agree with your theology and does things you don't like.

"quiverfull" -- having as many kids as humanly possible.

"culture war" -- saving America from the "evil" liberals and progressives.

"secular progressives" -- anyone who doesn't vote Republican.

"godless liberals" -- see secular progressives.

"spiritual warfare" -- keeping the demons away! Usually involves waving Bibles around and "pleading the blood of Jesus."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality