Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,554,611 times

Advertisements

So why not be mad at the individuals who act hatefully or boorishly, instead of being angry at the religions that they so poorly represent?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:11 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,592,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
So why not be mad at the individuals who act hatefully or boorishly, instead of being angry at the religions that they so poorly represent?
It's hard to separate the stupid from the stupidity, or the stupidity from the stupid, without each other neither would exist.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It's hard to separate the stupid from the stupidity, or the stupidity from the stupid, without each other neither would exist.

lol I see. Are all the people who have the same beliefs as you so well spoken?

Christians can't say "you will go to hell if you don't believe", but you can refer to people and their beliefs as "stupid". Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM

33,604 posts, read 37,247,364 times
Quote:

Christians can't say "you will go to hell if you don't believe", but you can refer to people and their beliefs as "stupid". Thanks for clearing that up for me.
You seem to be quite adept at twisting other peoples words rather than accepting them at face value, but the facts are these...Some people are stupid, and some beliefs are stupid.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You seem to be quite adept at twisting other peoples words rather than accepting them at face value, but the facts are these...Some people are stupid, and some beliefs are stupid.
How did I twist her words?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:32 PM

970 posts, read 1,702,484 times
Quote:
I do both, because they both deserve doing. Religions are worth opposing because, usually,
  1. They're not true and I am morally opposed to teaching lies to innocents.
  2. They have some negative consequences on the real world, even (or maybe especially) when the believers are sincere and nice people. When people truly believe that the immortal soul matters more than our brief mortal lives, they could spend resources on worshipping or proselytising that would be better used elsewhere. Or they could discourage Africans from using condoms because the infallible pope said so. From their perspective, it's the only right thing to do.
  3. At their core, they favour the concept of "faith", i.e. believing without evidence on the basis of wishful thinking and authority. In a sense that makes them anti-rational, anti-scientific method. It also creates a background from which extremism can easily spring forth.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,592,509 times
Quote:

Aside from the fact it represents their willful ignorance, which even if they are silent still likely effect what and whom they vote for, which has the end result of electing like minded idiots, but we can only hope that education and reason negates this influence before those elected destroy us. This is the unseen but real danger.

Then there are the arrogantly willful ignorant that accost total strangers to express their ignorance born hatred and intolerance.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And I know some that are deliberately aggressive in the personal attacks in telling total strangers their beliefs are wrong.

I could take you downtown (here in the bible belt) and point them out just about any day of the week, but especially weekends or if there is some event that draws large numbers of people for them to scream (with the aid of a megaphone) their hatred at while holding a bible in their other hand.

I can see how that would aggravate the bejeezus out of you.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM

177 posts, read 139,671 times
Quote:
I think you're quite mistaken in thinking that religion is completely good. If every religious person acted good I could forgive the virgin birth, the Resurrection, or splitting the moon in two and other obviously false but relatively harmless beliefs. But religionists also believe in special places for people who disagree with them and hold simultaneously very nasty and brutish ideas along with some decent ideas as a matter of dogma.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
I think you're quite mistaken in thinking that religion is completely good. If every religious person acted good I could forgive the virgin birth, the Resurrection, or splitting the moon in two and other obviously false but relatively harmless beliefs. But religionists also believe in special places for people who disagree with them and hold simultaneously very nasty and brutish ideas along with some decent ideas as a matter of dogma.

I didn't say that religion is completely good. There are plenty of flaws in organized religion. I admit that freely. For the most part, my recent arguments have been simply to state that people should respect other peoples rights to believe whatever they believe.

And so what if they hold on to brutish ideas? As long as THEY aren't acting on those ideas.

If you don't believe in hell. then who cares if somebody tells you, that you are going there?? It doesn't exist, right?? I guess that one is just "beyond my comprehension".

Last edited by looking4answers12; 12-06-2011 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality