Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,393,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
So...what's your answer?
Rather than type an answer here I think I will just link you to another post on another forum where I answered the very same thing at some length.

I recommend reading it but to adumbrate the post I essentially say there are lots of reasons why people become infected with the god meme and many of those reasons are not related to intelligence at all. In fact some of them are even more likely with higher intelligence.

There have been studies of late correlating intelligence and higher education with less religiosity but I would by resistant to extrapolating from this that all religious people are therefore stupid or uneducated.

Intelligence and education might reduce religion in SOME because they reasons for thinking there is a god were related to lack of education or intelligence.... but no matter how intelligent or educated a person is they will not lose faith in god if their initial reasons for thinking there was a god were not intelligence/education based.

That might be the longest "no" you have ever been given but sometimes one word answers do not really convey the meaning one actually has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
So, you don't object to people who believe in Christianity, as long as they don't do anything that you find objectionable (as a result of that belief)? Is that a fair assumption from what you've just said
Indeed. I also do not object to people who think they were abducted by aliens, who experimented on them (usually anally) as a prelude to an earth invasion. (Though what the contents of the male anus has to do with an invasion has never been made clear).

However if such people got together and started demanding certain laws and policies, and maybe even an alien defense fund, based on their unsubstantiated and baseless fantasy... or they tried to get their ideas put into the school curriculum... or they started demanding their ideas be "respected" and blasphemy laws be erected to protect them..... or they start demanding exceptions to already established rules and laws for themselves..... and so on..... I take issue with them. I also have issues, though slightly less so, with people profiting off the gullible by spreading such ideas.

If you understand why I would take issue with them, you understand why I take issue with much of Public Christianity.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM

87 posts, read 120,522 times
Atheist are the ones' that try to avoid anything possible to do with God and Christianity.
Who's the ones' that complained about the cross on ground zero, seperation of church & state, no more religion in public schools, trying to get rid of "IN GOD WE TRUST", some even complain why Christmas Day is a national holidays etc. etc.

Ridiculous! Shame on those people who don't respect other faiths!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,230,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
Atheist are the ones' that try to avoid anything possible to do with God and Christianity.
Who's the ones' that complained about the cross on ground zero, seperation of church & state, no more religion in public schools, trying to get rid of "IN GOD WE TRUST", some even complain why Christmas Day is a national holidays etc. etc.

Ridiculous! Shame on those people who don't respect other faiths!
You mean like the all the people that were up in arms over the Mosque near ground zero, the people who try to convert everyone to Christianity, the people who put up all the billboards saying that you have to believe in Christ otherwise you are going to burn in Hell, the people that tell you that you are going to burn in Hell because you believe differently from them, the people that don't respect atheists because they don't believe what the majority believes, people that start threads targeting other people because they don't agree with them, etc.? Yes - shame on them!

And furthermore, we are supposed to have separation between church and state and religion does not belong in schools.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You mean like the all the people that were up in arms over the Mosque near ground zero, the people who try to convert everyone to Christianity, the people who put up all the billboards saying that you have to believe in Christ otherwise you are going to burn in Hell, the people that tell you that you are going to burn in Hell because you believe differently from them, the people that don't respect atheists because they don't believe what the majority believes, people that start threads targeting other people because they don't agree with them, etc.? Yes - shame on them!

And furthermore, we are supposed to have separation between church and state and religion does not belong in schools.
Nobody tried to convert Muslims, Jews, Atheist or any other faiths into Christianity, unless they want to accept Christ and convert. Those who were against ground zero mosque were Americans of every faith, including some Christians, Jews, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist etc. and NOT only Christians.

Becoming Christian does not take 5 seconds. You must learn about the bible, Christ' teacher and getting baptised. Nobody ever force you to convert. Some Christians might introduce the religion, but they won't shot you if you convert Everyones decision.

I NEVER seen any billboard saying that "you will go to hell or whatsoever if you don't believe in Christ or God". Some Christians might tell you that in face (I don't think so) because atheist always target them and are against Christianity. Leave Christians alone, atheist will be left alone.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Nobody tried to convert Muslims, Jews, Atheist or any other faiths into Christianity, unless they want to accept Christ and convert. Those who were against ground zero mosque were Americans of every faith, including some Christians, Jews, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist etc. and NOT only Christians.

Becoming Christian does not take 5 seconds. You must learn about the bible, Christ' teacher and getting baptised. Nobody ever force you to convert. Some Christians might introduce the religion, but they won't shot you if you convert Everyones decision.

I NEVER seen any billboard saying that "you will go to hell or whatsoever if you don't believe in Christ or God". Some Christians might tell you that in face (I don't think so) because atheist always target them and are against Christianity. Leave Christians alone, atheist will be left alone.

I don't know what strange world you live in - but it certainly isn't the real one! I've never targeted anyone - and I have most certainly been informed that I will be going to hell. I actually practice what I preach - I respect all faiths. I have friends of all faiths and I respect all of them.

Oh - and this is for your reading enjoyment. What do you think of these Christian billboards? | CafeMom Answers

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't know what strange world you live in - but it certainly isn't the real one! I've never targeted anyone - and I have most certainly been informed that I will be going to hell. I actually practice what I preach - I respect all faiths. I have friends of all faiths and I respect all of them.

Oh - and this is for your reading enjoyment. What do you think of these Christian billboards? | CafeMom Answers
I'm not blaming on you, I'm saying American atheist in GENERAL.

I saw the billboards... I never seen anything that represents Christianity in general. Not only Christians believe in GOD.

How do you know if Christians made the billboards (Except one of them)? It could have been Muslims or Jews too?! They believe in God as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I'm not blaming on you, I'm saying American atheist in GENERAL.

I saw the billboards... I never seen anything that represents Christianity in general. Not only Christians believe in GOD.

How do you know if Christians made the billboards (Except one of them)? It could have been Muslims or Jews too?! They believe in God as well.
As far as I can tell in your posts - you are blaming all atheists. You didn't say some atheists. In your own posts you acknowledge that there are some Christians that are more vocal and more fanatical than others - yet you fail to grasp that the same can be said for atheists, or any other group of people for that matter.

And about the billboards - you are kidding - right? You can't be that naive. Yeah - the billboards were probably put up by the Jews.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,041,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Nah!...I can see the real deal...you're paranoid.

The world is Theist...has been for thousands of years...and always will be.

Atheism is as much a "nothing concept"...as it is a "concept of nothing" (as far as the existence of "Gods" are concerned)....you are going to have to learn to deal with that.
Culture, and society in general, is going to be "molded" much more by vastly powerful and influential Theism, than it will be by near negligible Atheism.

I didn't make Theism so prolific, strong and powerful...while Atheism is so pathetically unpopular, weak, and uninspiring...that's just THE REALITY OF THE WORLD Bro!!

Theism is the "Alpha Concept"...and Christians are the "Alpha Theists"...sooooooo, of course they are going to wield the most "mojo".
See, Christians are like the NY Yankees...and Atheists are like your local Little League team...and make that the local Little League team with the worst record. In reality, even that is giving Atheism more credit than it has earned.

You have had this explained to you on a number of occasions. The fact that you still aren't hip to it is telling.
You are a master of condescension. Get over yourself.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:42 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,554,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Rather than type an answer here I think I will just link you to another post on another forum where I answered the very same thing at some length.

I recommend reading it but to adumbrate the post I essentially say there are lots of reasons why people become infected with the god meme and many of those reasons are not related to intelligence at all. In fact some of them are even more likely with higher intelligence.

There have been studies of late correlating intelligence and higher education with less religiosity but I would by resistant to extrapolating from this that all religious people are therefore stupid or uneducated.

Intelligence and education might reduce religion in SOME because they reasons for thinking there is a god were related to lack of education or intelligence.... but no matter how intelligent or educated a person is they will not lose faith in god if their initial reasons for thinking there was a god were not intelligence/education based.

That might be the longest "no" you have ever been given but sometimes one word answers do not really convey the meaning one actually has.

Indeed. I also do not object to people who think they were abducted by aliens, who experimented on them (usually anally) as a prelude to an earth invasion. (Though what the contents of the male anus has to do with an invasion has never been made clear).

However if such people got together and started demanding certain laws and policies, and maybe even an alien defense fund, based on their unsubstantiated and baseless fantasy... or they tried to get their ideas put into the school curriculum... or they started demanding their ideas be "respected" and blasphemy laws be erected to protect them..... or they start demanding exceptions to already established rules and laws for themselves..... and so on..... I take issue with them. I also have issues, though slightly less so, with people profiting off the gullible by spreading such ideas.

If you understand why I would take issue with them, you understand why I take issue with much of Public Christianity.
I've never been a fan of "yes or no" questions or answers, so I get you there.

And to the rest of what you posted here...fair enuf. I will have to go read your other post later. I've already stayed here far too long for today!

I wonder if alien abductees can get disablity benefits for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,554,171 times
Quote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen 'em on the Florida Turnpike. I bet if you googled it under images, you'd be able to find them...

Not taking sides here, just saying, Christian Billboard do exist.
I don't object to Christian or Atheist billboads myself. They make the drive entertaining at times.

Now, I DO object to the billboard that make restaurant food look REALLY GODD, and then when you get their, you are very disappointed! Or advertising low room rates on hotels and then finding out that rate only applies to one room and "sorry that room is taken". Now, THOSE billboards really get me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality