Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,925,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
I wouldn't say ONLY people that dumb...but it does take a certain amount of self-delusion to believe we got here without a creator.
Yup. Unlike the idea, that one which has not even a scintilla (sigh.... look it up....) of any post-Creation evidence [oh, again, unlike all the otherwise inexplicable Big Bang evidence, like measurable, audible background radiation moving away from, gasp, a central point in space and itme... duh...]. Or, that our version makes sense and wherever that hypothesis predicts a logical outcome, and we go look why dang it all! Just what do you Creationinsts think we find?

Louder please! Louder! I CAN'T HEAAARRRR YOUOOOO!"

Yup: we find exactly what our little hypotheses (it's not yet at the factual level of a scientific "theory", like Evolution now is! Nope: not just yet, but give the Large Hadron Collider just another year or so, and BINGO. The God Particle Exists!

Then, oh by golly...You'll have to come up with a whole new line of dismally silly refutations.... and good luck with that one!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Funny, I think it would take a considerable amount of self-delusion for me to fool myself into believing something I find unbelievable.
Exactly. Why do I "not want to believe" in your god? Because it's have all the viability and credibility to my educated and thoughtful mind of believing in the Giant Rubber Snake God.

Image Detail for - http://www.yourdropshipper.com/dropship-weird-gifts/snake.jpg

Some things are, after all, just plain stupid on their face, right? And to be known to believe in those things? too embarrassing for me, frankly. It'd have all the panache of wearing a clown suit to a funeral.

Image Detail for - http://www.nightmarefactory.com/TA409.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Delusion is believing in something that you have absolutely no proof of.
Exactly. and the obvious alternate, it's corollary, is that you really ought to at least fearlessly consider things for which there's nowe ample proof, or at the least, growing, and credible viable evidence, supported by literally hundreds of millions, nay Billions, of atheists.

But nope: some new evidence comes along that also btw dovetails with all the other evidence (that's how science works, btw: it builds on established facts and furthers the overall hypothesis until it's a credible "theory"!), and the Creationists, having no good argument against it, then take to fabricating stuff, or finding one lone idiot scientist, usually a loser type, to "refute it all!". And they beleive him and no=one else.

Good thinkin' guys! Got you to where you are today, huh? You proud of that accomplishment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Us theists have a very nasty habit of assuming that all atheists are atheist because they do not want to believe in God(swt). We also get very judgemental and outright tell them they deserve hell because they can not find reason to believe.

We theists as individuals can not get it through our heads we can not force atheists to believe anything.

We have to show them reason to believe, not command them to believe. We need to know, that because something is self evident to us, it is not proof.

I do believe the chief reason people doubt the existence of God(swt) is because of us theists.
(Note: There's "evidence" (which to many people is simply "having a good feeling about!", and then there's "hard, reproducible, peer-reviewed evidence per se" as science demands of it. One is, the other is not.)

Ans so, you are most likely right, Woodrow. It's certainly why I decided to persist in sincerely and intently evaluating Christianity in my younger days, and the more the Christian Establishment (my youth-, and later, senior-minister) fought me, and laughingly (and, btw, stupidly it turned out...) casually dismissed my careful and logical ideas and questions, why of course, the more I got my courage, thinking and intensity up.

And of course, such a thorough and thoughtful evaluation always leads away from the inanity of simple blind faith. Some who claim they have made that journey and yet ended up with a stronger faith in God, I believe, simply refused to engage all the cognitive faculties available to them, all the tools of logic and debate they could have used, and in the end they selectively (and simplistically...) decided to go with their original God. Of course, it likely made them "feel good inside their souls", so that would also be a conditioner.

Now, though, I generally only respond to abject and shrill absolutist, denialist and patently illogical Christian (or Muslim) claims, because what we humans now know for true is all a lot further down the road of truth and scientific accomplishment, and to just deny all that we now know is, well, a bit pathological.

It has also clarified for me the sad and diminishing number and diversity of arguments [u]against[/U the Big Bang, against Evolution and a against chance-induced abiogenesis.

Such painfully outdated arguments are now so officially outdated, so old in their scientific basis (as in: "Carbon dating is so inaccurate! Why, this report, dated 1953, clearly shows some errors! Dr. FrickelSteinberger, from the Greater Godly University of The Divine Creation, with a fPhD from The Outback Institute in WallaBurger, Australia, also fully concurs! So, therefore ALL modern dating techniques, even the latest ones like X-Ray Fluorescence, which I don't even inderstand, must of course also be totally flawed!); and so on, that they are, well, pathetic.

Very compelling! Very interesting. But sadly, very illiterate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:46 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,448,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iT4SoLuTioN View Post
What makes you not want to believe in God? You rather chose to believe in the big bang theory or what?

By logic these are the only two possibilities for life to exist. Considering these stories have been around forever wouldnt that help lean you towards God rather than big bang.
Your logic is flawed. Amazon has over 800 entries for the book title "Creation Myths of the World"

Here are a couple of tantalizing theories for life to exist.

1.) Aliens from another Universe used advanced gene splicing technologies to to save their race from the collapse of their Universe. They seeded our Universe with the off spring of their species in hopes that they would survive. The Moon is actually a giant intelligent space ship, filled with impossible technologies that has been watching over us until it deems us ready to have it's secrets. Once that happens we will start the entire process over again.

2.) Santa Claus planted life under the leaves of a Cabbage about ten thousand years ago. He seeded the Earth with the bones of vast animals to give millions of children across the world something to imagine, in the hopes that when they grew up they wouldn't become close minded bigots and forget the purpose of life.

3.) Long, long ago, a great island floated in a giant ocean. This island hung from four thick ropes from the sky, which was solid rock. There were no peoples and it was always dark. The animals could not see so they got the sun and put it in a path that took it across the island from east to west each day. The animals and plants were told by the Great Spirit to stay awake for seven days and seven nights but most could not and slept. Those plants that did stay awake, such as the pine and cedar and those few others were rewarded by being allowed to remain green all year. All the others were made to lose their leaves each winter. Those animals that did stay awake, such as the owl and the mountain lion and those few others were rewarded with the ability to go about in the dark. Then the people appeared.

4.) When the Earth was young it had a family. The moon, or Grandmother and the sun, called Grandfather. The Earth was a woman - Mother Earth - because from her came all living things. Mother Earth was given four directions - East, South, West, and North, each with physical and spiritual powers.When Mother Earth was young Creator, or Gichi-Manidoo as Ojibwe people call him, filled her with beauty. He sent singers in the form of birds and swimmers in the water. He placed plants, trees, insects, crawlers and four-legged animals on the land.Gichi-Manidoo then blew into four parts of Mother Earth using the sacred megis shell. From the union of these four and his breath, two-leggeds or man, was born. Thus, man was the last form of life to be put on Earth. From this original man came the Anishinaabe - or The Original People.

5.) From Sumerian Mythology, you get a pretty good glimpse of how Christian Mythology eventually evolved.

"Nammu, who is either the sea or the goddess of the riverbed, goes to her son Enki, who is asleep in the deep (the Apsu) and entreats him to rise from his bed and "fashion servants of the gods" (Kramer, History Begins 109). Enki, who after all is the god of wisdom, thinks of the germinating powers of the clay and water of the abyss, and he tells Nammu to have some womb-goddesses pinch off this clay and have some "princely fashioners" thicken it, so she can mold it or give birth to"

Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,186,389 times
Quote:
What makes you not want to believe in God? You rather chose to believe in the big bang theory or what?

By logic these are the only two possibilities for life to exist. Considering these stories have been around forever wouldnt that help lean you towards God rather than big bang.

I understand you believe in aliens most of the time, but then where did they come from. How could energy just gather together and explode creating life when everything you know proves explosions destory life.

The trinity is Gods symbol thats been around in "Legend" isnt starnge that weve commonly come to know ufos as in these recent years with all the videos of triangular shaped lights flying in the sky. If you beleive in aliens even they are trying to tell you something.

In my eyes the world and even more the universe is to large for you to understand or comprehend so you turn away scared from the one out of two beliefs that teaches you to be good humans and take care of yourselves. Your logic makes no sense, are you trying so hard to be different that you dont beleive in the most influential subject of your world.

The thing with it is if silly GOD so happens to exist you are basically denying him and refusing to be offered a spot in Heaven. Where will you go when you die then, youd rather be erased from the universe than believe in eternal life.

You are making the dumbest decision you could ever possibly make, not to mention with all the religions out there you are completely outnumbered. Not to mention usually when this much of the majority believes in God there has to be something to it. You dont have to call yourslef a christian,catholic, buddisht or whatever you just have to believe in god within yourself and not deny his existence. You are welcome to join me anytime now, but continue on and most likely you will not be recieved into heaven. Dying for your naive rebellious ways is rather foolish.
That's okay. Your beliefs don't make any sense to me, either!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,030,708 times
I was a agnostic and unbeliever in the truth of the Living God Lord Jesus Christ for 37 years , until I opened the doors into the occult and the demons and devils came and tried to haunt my Home ...... But at this there must have been prayers from believers on My life for when thing got there worst Jesus and His spirit came to my Home and told me the truth that Jesus was real and I could know Him .... All from the presence of spiritual beings I could not see .......... See many people believe in God because they have a witness of the truth that Jesus is the only living God and any one can know him ....... See as the result of all these demons and devils got kicked out of my Life By the Holy Spirit of Jesus and were He took all the fear of these dark spirit out of My life ......See the big bang theory may still be true , But that does not make me reject the truth of the witness of the Living God Lord Jesus Christ is truth and alive in the earth in the hidden realm of the spirit were we can know him ......

Old 12-23-2011, 08:49 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,127,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I was a agnostic and unbeliever in the truth of the Living God Lord Jesus Christ for 37 years , until I opened the doors into the occult and the demons and devils came and tried to haunt my Home ...... But at this there must have been prayers from believers on My life for when thing got there worst Jesus and His spirit came to my Home and told me the truth that Jesus was real and I could know Him .... All from the presence of spiritual beings I could not see .......... See many people believe in God because they have a witness of the truth that Jesus is the only living God and any one can know him ....... See as the result of all these demons and devils got kicked out of my Life By the Holy Spirit of Jesus and were He took all the fear of these dark spirit out of My life ......See the big bang theory may still be true , But that does not make me reject the truth of the witness of the Living God Lord Jesus Christ is truth and alive in the earth in the hidden realm of the spirit were we can know him ......
Listen, I appreciate your devotion to your belief system. Really, I do. And you are free to believe that Jesus "saved" you.That doesn't mean your experience - or your interpretation of it - applies to every other human being on Earth.

Do you
get that???

Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,127,428 times
EDIT - I was going to respond to the OP but realized his original post was so bizarre and incoherent that I realized it is a waste of time.

So, nevermind....

Old 12-24-2011, 03:07 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,552,258 times
Why are you all feeding the troll?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:56 AM

86 posts, read 123,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Gosh, let me think of a good reason not to believe in a god who has been portrayed as cruel and vengeful!

Do you have even one little shred of evidence that the big bang is a fairy tale? Something tangible now, not just a self contradictory book that says it didn't happen!
Better yet, where's your evidence that we were created by your god? Same rules apply, tangible evidence required!

I'll wait.................................... .....................

What kind of explosions create anything? they usually destroy created things and big bang theory was created far after god and christ in order to cope with the fact that humans have failed over and over again. By believing this you are allowed by yourself to believe your at times cruel nature is just what it is. By not believing in God and his Perfect nature you can blame nature for your sins instead of understanding youre a perfect creation that was given free will and with free will you have lost your way. Why do you have such a high level of conciousness compared to everyhting around you? The big bang just gave you better brains? Without free will there would be no point to your existence and free will allows you to be an atheist which means you dont have the humility to go with or just see the light that there is something so much more powerful than you. Almost like youre satan and wanting to be the greatest thing alive.

A wise man understands there is no benefit to believing in the big bang and through a book that has withstanded the ages tell you all the amazing benefits of believing and acting like a good human, you gain eternal life but since you dont get magical powers or something is that not enough for you?

Youd rather believe in being non existent after you die than to AT LEAST have hope and faith in being to see everyone you love in heaven one day. Is that not a simple representation of being selfish and ignorant. What about your family and friends that believe in GOD that want to see you there one day, what if you dont get in because you sin too much from not following. They would be heartbroken for a long time wishing to see you and only their prayers and requests may get you new life after.

In my mind an atheist is more likely to sin because they dont care as much about going to heaven. Just like when someone does everything they need to to get a degree or stay out of the jail, they study and learn or do not commit crime. The ones that dont care about these things will not study and others may commit a crime. By beleiving and wanting heaven it becomes part of your internal sub concious thus making you not want these sins or at least make you think twice until you can master your own man made faults.

Just beleive in him and BE a good human and i promise you will get rewarded greatly when your time comes. It truely makes more sense everything has to originate from something including the big bangs energy. You could say the same about GOD but thats his power, "HE JUST IS"

Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,638,384 times
Quote:
Youd rather believe in being non existent after you die than to AT LEAST have hope and faith in being to see everyone you love in heaven one day.
It's not about what I want to believe, it is about what is believable. Your fairy tale is not believable. You can hope and pray for your afterlife, that's your choice. I can think that these are futile actions that you use for self-soothing but have no real effect.
Quote:
In my mind an atheist is more likely to sin because they dont care as much about going to heaven.
That's because apparently everything that you think about atheists is something that you make up in your own mind and then project at us. In fact, atheists are much LESS likely to commit crimes and all you have to do is look at the prison statistics to confirm this. Atheists do the right thing because it is the right thing to do, not because we are worried that if we don't our invisible friend will be angry with us. Atheists don't believe that you can just say "I'm sorry" to that invisible friend and he'll forgive you for even the most horrific crimes - atheists must answer to ourselves, and apparently my ethics are significantly more advanced that yours, even without the threat of hell or the promise of heaven. You can't scare me or tempt me with mythology.
Quote:
Just beleive in him and BE a good human and i promise you will get rewarded greatly when your time comes.
I AM a good human, thanks, maybe you should try it? I can't "just believe" in the unbelievable - your god or any of the others. Stuff has to make sense to me before I can believe it.
Quote:
And by the way, I could just want everyone of you who wastes time doubting the complete truth to go to hell
Oh, what a lovely sentiment. You hope atheists burn for eternity because they will not just agree with you and go along with what you say. If your god really does exist I hope he is looking to see your hateful heart. For my part, I wish you and yours happy holidays and a long life to gain more wisdom.
Quote:
i know youre scared from the antichrist stuff
You are projecting again. YOU are scared of the antichrist stuff. We don't believe in that bit, either.
Quote:
But at some point I GOD will become tired of YOU being anti christs and save the people who want to be. Bla bla bla is what i will hear back from you, but athiests are fake liars that want attention. You will fear me when you see me. I can be the good guy or the bad guy, i have the power to do so. Good Luck i hope you announce your unification with God soon.

Signed The One and Only GOD, Pm me if you have any questions about life, ill try to give you some advice.
And you think that you, with your hateful attitude, is going to be swept up in that rapture? I thought that was only for the loving, christ-like Christians? I love how by the end of the paragraph you are talking like you ARE god, leveling silly metaphysical threats that only work on believers. If your god actually exists and actually cares that I don't believe in it, surely it could take that up with me directly instead of sending people like you to threaten us. I am quaking in my boots. Not.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:03 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,753,311 times
Quote:
Signed The One and Only GOD, Pm me if you have any questions about life, ill try to give you some advice.
Look everyone, God himself posted in this thread! For being God, he/she sure doesn't seem to have a very good understanding of atheists, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality