Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 07:54 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,599,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah! Another godzombie with his back against the wall loudly proclaims....'I'm not talking to you any more'.
Well I can add you to that list in this thread, I won't respond to either of you. " Back against the wall", good greif, why some of you choose to speak in militaristic terms, as if this is a fight; I'll never figure.

To me its a classroom of learning and Joy. This site is one of the better schools I attend, but as you know, I can't stay long; I know I don't fit in.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,388,037 times
I am not sure how much you are likely to learn in ANY class if the best reply you can give to someone who took the time to write to you is "I like burgers".

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM

What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like? Perhaps simular to a planet of all males, or all females! Important ingredients would be missing. The most loved and needed partner; Theist!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Am I to be ignored as well Mickiel, or do you have a rebuttal to my last post?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Am I to be ignored as well Mickiel, or do you have a rebuttal to my last post?

Oh no, I am not ignoring you; in fact, I have seen a definte change in you, your being much more respectful; and as you know, showing respect does not change our views; it enriches the conversation. The murder rates of religious states was surprising, but I admit that religion has failed. I just do not agree that Atheism can do, what religion couldnot; and not only Atheism, but any kind of government you choose.

Religion cannot be replaced; neither could Atheism be replaced.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Well, the indications are clear according the the four studies quoted that the countries with larger populations of atheist are better in many ways...I'll continue later...I have a ferry to catch.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like? Perhaps simular to a planet of all males, or all females! Important ingredients would be missing. The most loved and needed partner; Theist!
I think you meant Theism not Theist, but suffice to say that it is loved by YOU. That does not mean it is the most loved by others.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I just do not agree that Atheism can do, what religion couldnot
Nor do atheists. Atheism is just the abscence of theism. That is all. It is not a source for morality or anything else and more than not being into astrology will tell you how to live your day. All atheism does is remove theism as a basis for your choices and ideas.

Therefore a good moral, political and legal system is not going to come from atheism, the point of the thread and our posts on it is to show that it likely will come from atheists however, probably from some form of humanist world views that actually recognise that our common humanity is the best basis we have on which to build.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 AM

The world was not meant to be populated and ruled by just one group; the diversity was planned.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:26 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
THAT you are disputing this is pretty clear. Why and on what basis is what is remaining opaque to me at this time, especially when the evidence suggests the opposite. Refer for example to the statistics of the religious demographs in US prisons and you will find that the religious are over represented and the non religious under. Refer also to secular countries like Sweden and Denmark which by any measures of education standards, crime rates, charity per capita etc are all doing better than others.

So what basis we have to suggest anything but a correlation between reduction in religious tendencies and an increase in the general well being in the society is entirely unclear to me at this time.

Another claim you appear to enjoy repeating incessantly without backing it up in any way. You have not shown a single moral that either a) came from religion or b) Is dependent on religion or the existence in god in order to subscribe to it or make it workable.

Speak for yourself. My imagination suffers from no such deficiency.

Quite the opposite. Atheists just subscribe to the good things that religion has successfully associated itself with but never actually created or added anything to, such as morality which you mentioned before.

Yes, funny how it is hard to believe things that are not true. Again, it is not the leap in deductive reasoning you think it is or need it to be. Children very quickly learn it without being told. A child that pushes a kid over and grabs his toy very quickly learns that the other kid will get up, push back, and grab it back. Instantly the golden rule has been learned. Nothing to do with religion, and it in fact predates the Nazarene by some time.
The first one is a laugh. Most of the inmates turn to religion after they're in prison. Well maybe now you'll argue that most religious people have criminal tendencies...

The Golden Rule, which was promulgated by various religions. I'm sure Greek, Chinese or other secular philosophers might have come up with something similar, but it was mainly through religion that this ideal was spread. It's hard to imagine the Golden Rule without religion because it's hard to imagine a world without religion. I haven't really witnessed it in animals, so I doubt it's as innate as you'd like to believe.

Religion contributed nothing to morality? It's one thing to accuse religion of both morality and immorality, the latter of which even I admit to, but to say religion has contributed NOTHING to the development of morality and a moral code shows you are truly deluded.

The last part merely describes the law of the jungle. Where raping females, killing enemies, cannibalism and the like are practiced.

Last edited by Trimac20; 02-11-2012 at 04:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.