Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 06:54 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,083,171 times

Advertisements

What if;

You wanted to explore the world.
You went to all the different areas, just to explore. From the most famous areas like New York's time square, to the most boring, like the middle of Wyoming.

(Stay with me, it gets better)

During your travels you find, quite by accident, a room. In that room is the secret to bending space and time. You try it, and it works! No, it's not an analogy, you can quite literally, change time and space.

You look around the room and there is evidence that others have been here before you. Though you don't know when. There is also no reason others could not come here later.

So, being very excited, you tell your friends.
But they don't believe such a room can exist. So they won't bother to go.
Others say it might exist, but they are too busy right now.

You search for people to tell this great discovery.
You find some have been there, but have given up telling others.
Many more have claimed to be in this room, but when when you talk to them you realize, no they haven't, and they are just saying so to get attention.

Rarely, you do find someone who has been there and knows the secret. But they keep it to themselves, perhaps from going through your same experiance.

I can't share it with my family because they don't believe in it. Those who have not been there, don't believe it exists. And you can not show a person this room by force. I can demonstrate the ability to anyone but they either pass it off a luck, coincidence or unexplainable.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,201,072 times
Take a picture of the damn room.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,734,311 times
I'm sure there will be some sort of magic that prevents people who don't already believe from seeing the room in pictures or video. Religions always have an escape clause that let them ignore the normal rules of evidence.

The correct answer here is that you're mistaken. If you think you have amazing superpowers but can't convince anyone else, the most likely explanation is that they're not all that amazing to anyone but you. Could be you find something special about them that no one else does, or it could be the powers don't exist at all but you've tricked yourself into believing after all. But even in comic books superheros have to work to hide their powers and live a normal life. Your idea that you've run across the biggest discovery in the history of humanity but no one believes you is something from a conspiracy theory, but anything that would happen in real life.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,400,245 times
What I do not understand is why is there a need to share the secret with others? Why not just keep the secret to oneself?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,904,622 times
What if you go to the room, but don't accept the experience at face value. You investigate the room and realize it is all an illusion, nothing more than a magic trick, a mis-perception. It doesn't really alter space/time. You invite others who have been to the room to go back and take a critical look at the experience, but they refuse to do it, because they really want to believe in the magic, that the room really does bend space/time.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:36 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,036,100 times
What I don't understand is why you think Wyoming is boring and NYC isn't?

What would I do? Nothing. If folks want to explore they can make their own discovery. If they won't explore they don't make it, it is their loss and I see absolutely no reason to get into arguments I won't win.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,667,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

During your travels you find, quite by accident, a room. In that room is the secret to bending space and time. You try it, and it works! No, it's not an analogy, you can quite literally, change time and space.

You look around the room and there is evidence that others have been here before you. Though you don't know when.
So why do you think the room demonstrates the secret of bending space and time? What kind of convincing evidence did you find?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,666,399 times
Quote:
What would you do?
My first thought would be to cut down on my medication.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM

64,116 posts, read 40,420,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
What I don't understand is why you think Wyoming is boring and NYC isn't?

What would I do? Nothing. If folks want to explore they can make their own discovery. If they won't explore they don't make it, it is their loss and I see absolutely no reason to get into arguments I won't win.
I suspect "nothing" is an exaggeration . . . given your posts. GP. You would more likely tell them of its existence, describe the way to get there and leave the rest up to them. It will be insufficient . . . because they will demand proof for what they would consider "too much trouble to determine for themselves."

Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,036,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect "nothing" is an exaggeration . . . given your posts. GP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality