Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,912,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall-lionheart View Post
Oh really
The only "Oh really" moment in that video is that you 'really' didn't understand what Dawkins was saying.....but that's no surprise given your past comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM

646 posts, read 636,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Where does one even begin...

Once-harmless bacteria, dare I say, evolve into more lethal variants? What about viruses?
Evolved? The deception continues.
Quote:
As for the body "deteriorating" pray tell how a perfectly health human can live well into his 90's and yet transfer a genetic mutation that when passed on over generations becomes a life threatening illness?
More theory talking.
Absolutely no way to prove this assertion.
What about viruses?

Wilson.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,155,300 times
Still waiting on an explanation as to why an intelligent designer would but something as unintelligent as the appendix in it's creation.

Maybe it's a God time bomb he sets off every so often like a big kid with firecrackers.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 PM

126 posts, read 81,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
You don't need to explain biomimicry to me, I have a degree in biology.

First of all our machines do out compete the natural world. Our planes fly faster than any bird, we can even land on the moon. Our cars can go faster than any Cheeta..our nuclear power plants produce more energy than anything..I shouldn't even have to point this out.

Of course the human body has problems in its so called "design"...you can quote a bible verse saying it is our fault..but everything is gods plan and he allowed this to happen in the first place. I don't really care about the bibles excuses..the point is that our bodies have alot of problems and genetics and medicine are improving upon gods "design" every year.

Also I LOVE how you cited Yahoo answers, I mean..are you serious? Anyway more examples of our superior design over gods in the natural world...is look at our corn, wheat etc yields..even the modern banana has been designed by humans to have such a shape.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Still waiting on an explanation as to why an intelligent designer would but something as unintelligent as the appendix in it's creation.

Maybe it's a God time bomb he sets off every so often like a big kid with firecrackers.
There's more than just the appendix... Feel free to save my list for the future, I am sure I am missing some..there is:
  1. The tail bone - there is still even a muscle to control the "tail" the extensor coccygis
  2. Laryngeal nerve - loops around randomly for absolutely no reason instead of taking the shortest route to its destination
  3. The human Jaw - too small for our teeth (wisdom teeth)
  4. Human Knee
  5. Human Spine
  6. Male Urethra - why oh why did he run it through the prostate
  7. Mammalian lung ventilation - birds have a far superior ventilation system where incoming air is not mixed with deoxygenated air
  8. Primate Requirement for Vitamin C, which is odd since most animals synthesize it themselves
  9. Male Mammal Nipples - Self explanatory
  10. Mammalian foetal blood circulation - once again inefficient and often times leads to hole in heart babies
  11. Haemoglobin - more affinity for carbon monoxide than oxygen, doesn't even do its simple job correctly
  12. Human ear-moving muscles - these have absolutely no function, while in other mammals it clearly does
  13. The human larynx-pharynx junction - constant risk of choking, swallowing impedes breathing
  14. The vertebrate retina - photoreceptors in backwards, causing the brain to compensate for this..obviously not good design
  15. Mammalian vision processing - our brains process vision at the back of the head, so the nerves have to travel a great distance for no reason

There's much more than just that, including junk DNA, Embryology, immunology etc.

Last edited by Rationalism; 02-22-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,912,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rationalism View Post
There's more than just the appendix... Feel free to save my list for the future, I am sure I am missing some..there is:
  1. The tail bone - there is still even a muscle to control the "tail" the extensor coccygis
  2. Reccurent laryngeal nerve
  3. The human Jaw - too small for our teeth (wisdom teeth)
  4. Human Knee
  5. Human Spine
  6. Male Urethra - why oh why did he run it through the prostate
  7. Mammalian lung ventilation - birds have a far superior ventilation system where income air is not mixed with deoxygenated air
  8. Primate Requirement for Vitamin C, which is odd since most animals synthesize it themselves
  9. Male Mammal Nipples - Self explanatory
  10. Mammalian foetal blood circulation - once again inefficient and often times leads to hole in heart babies
  11. Haemoglobin - more affinity for carbon monoxide than oxygen)
  12. Human ear-moving muscles - these have absolutely no function, while in other mammals it clearly does
  13. The human larynx-pharynx junction - constant risk of choking, swallowing impedes breathing
  14. The vertebrate retina - photoreceptors in backwards, causing the brain to compensate for this..obviously not good design
  15. Mammalian vision processing - our brains process vision at the back of the head, so the nerves have to travel a great distance for no reason
OF course, Wilson will not comment on any of this other than to take each of your points and say...

The human jaw - brilliant design.
Lung ventilation - brilliant design.
The Larynx - brilliant design.

That exactly what he did with my similar post so don't expect much from him.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Many people before modern medicine died due to having jaws too small..in fact most of humanity has this problem, only a tiny percentage have them grow out perfectly straight. Left untreated they will become infected, poison the blood stream and cause death. Only with modern medicine can we pretend it's not a big deal. Lung ventilation I don't see how he can refute at all, when there's other species on this planet with a better design and our own oxygen breathing machines we use during surgeries is far superior...same thing for the larynx. Anyway if he only replies to those 3..he's missing the other 12. My list of 15 (16 when you add appendix) is only scratching the surface, I can probably make a list of 50 or more if I open up one of my textbooks, but I am too lazy for that..already finished all those classes lol.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM

9,496 posts, read 12,955,449 times
Default Ahhhnnnnd NOw: Slam-dunk Dissectionism; oh you're welcome! I't's real easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstead View Post
oh indeed telling that human evolved from this species to this species to this species that takes billions of years to process is quite extra ordinary. where's the proof? VISUAL proof. proof that you ACTUALLY see that process happening. don't hide in your scientfic jargons to explain it.

P.R.O.V.E IT!!! but how? by scientific jargons. complex processes... are you kidding me?!!! in fact for you to understand in explicit detail this magical evolution you have to go to the extra ordinary process of getting a science degree or even masters degree. who has time to do that?

if evolutionists want to conquer the world, all you have to do is make scientific arguments in layman's language go down to the level of what you call ignorant masses. or are you afraid that if you go down to their level in explaining the evolution process and ask you questions as to the WTF factor of it, you will resort again to your scientific jargons as a means of i dont know 'escape'.

"gimme a break.....
NO, you give ME a break from your hugely Sci-Illit point of view! Whoever said that we "evolutionists want to conquer the world? Your post proves out your highly hostile & combative perspective, coupled with an almost pathological misunderstanding of Evolution. N, I take that back; it IS pathological, demonstrably, and observably, right here in the City-Data Behavioral and Philosophical Lab.

I'll happily academically reduce whatever you don't understand,. I actually teach kids who are admittedly far more open to ideas than you are, and I explain, and have been commended on, my ability to make the complex very understandable. So.. will you answer a few Yes/No questions here, for all to see? Can you handle that, or you just all smoke but no gunpowder??

Note: so far, not a single Christian denialist has EVER accepted this straightforward challenge. They all tell me that I'm just out personally gunning for them, or my "attitude" prevents them from wanting to communicate with me.

Deflection. Denial. Deceit and Fear. That's all I and everyone else here sees in those responses.

Well, you asked for it: you going to rise to the occasion? Wanna break the mold of stubborn intransigence? Go ahead! What have you to lose?

"Well, There It Is" (from Amadeus) - YouTube

Do Let me know. I promise no sarcasm, and very simple explanations.

Hey: Why not learn a bit?

Quote:
Mr. Troop,
You're trying to hide behind a lot of words.

If nature's designs are not intelligent, why are scientists copying them in the field of biomemetics?

Wilson.
Quote:
Your matchless sarcasm seems to be very much a part of your personna.

(why thank you!@ Someone important finally noticed!)

If nature's designs are not intelligent, why are scientists copying them in the field of biomemetics?

Wilson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Evolved?

How does an interdependent cycle evolve? There are millions of examples.

Cycle evolving = Never observed. Requires GREAT faith!

The simple cell is more complex than mankind's most complex factories. It seems, we need to advance our understanding of complex systems by seeking the designer to understand what he says about his blueprints.
Nope. The Evolutionary process is quite capable of creating, by trial and erro, over quintilliaons of gah-zillions of bah-biquihxzapiphico-zillion reproductive trial and error tests, over at least 13 billion years! Wow, huh?

Which is, oh heck; a lot of 12 to 34h reproductive cycles for simple or even more complex multi-celled organisms. Then times just how may of those organisms in a single liter of primordial ocean water? Times the volume of that water covering the entire oceanic areas of this planet? Quite a healthy number and macro-statistic, would you not agree?

And it's all a rather appropriate naturally activated "design studio", yes? Less of course the built in and regularly demonstrated human/God Ă¼ber-arrogance tinker factor, natch! But the ecological niche goalposts are also always moving, so the "current design" is also always potentially open to further adjustment. This is both obvious and logical.

By the way, to your other invalid comparison, our best hyper-tech factories are still the result of our current very limited engineering and intellectual abilities, and we have never approached building even a quarter of a million automobile companies or i-Pod design facilities to even begin to mimic the real biochemical world.

You are happy comparing apples (literally, Applesâ„¢...) to chainsaws. Typical mis-directed strawman argument, without any merit. Add to that your obvious Argument from Being Awestruck and what do we get? "Totally unrelated to reality" posts, that's what.

Quote:
Oh! THOSE (imaginary) creatures.

purpose indicates intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riflm
No, it indicates biological need and a successful and genetically subsequent better "fit". Evolution is not an entity capable of defining, designing or directing genetic changes.

And if not served quickly enough, all the world's organisms, by the many millions so far (and as we also now know from the record) did go extinct. Only those whose Evolutionary advantages did provide positive capabilities, did survive to go on and prosper. But also, on occasion, they did go extinct as the world continued it's own evolution. Absent any Godly tinkering, obviously, since your book says He finished it all one afternoon, in a state of complete perfection.
There is intelligence behind any intention - right?
YOU acknowledge that the design of the organs indicate purpose - intention - intelligence.
Therefore - Intelligent Design. Period!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn
Nope: there's no one-time perfect design required or obvious here, just mutational consequences, riddled with far more failures than successes, but the system still keeps trying ,and you only want to accept the obviously successful ones, and then "rote-a-tote" claim your God is solely responsible for all those flawlessly executed success stories.
If you find a flint arrowhead in the dirt, you immediately detect design and a purpose behind the design.

If our organs have design, and a purpose as you acknowledge, would you be wise or right in assigning that design and purpose to the creatures who used them or to a greater designer with a purpose that is evident in the design of those organs?

I am still waiting for evolution to explain that.
Wilson.

Really? Is THAT all? Easily done! (tho' I also know you won't accept any explanation; it's in your humorless personna (your typo, not mine...)

A flint arrowhead is an early (obviously) T&E (Trial & Error) solution given the limited materials & limited past experiences on hand. This is exactly like like early DNA genome starting points; things always progress and build from less-complex towards more-complex solutions.

Example? Compare a Model A Ford to a Lexus Hybrid. Or our proto-lemur ancestors (Oh yes! So sorry, inarguable: proven now by simple DNA ancestry checks) on up to us. Get it?

The flint arrowhead represented an early solution to an urgent tactical problem. It's designer "sussed out" his solution by a trial and error process (what, you think his very first attempt was perfection from his first try? Hardly!), but was limited to the primitive materials and manufacturing processes that he could imagine, huddled in the same cave you now obviously occupy. (Oh... Ooops...sorry. Too much sarcasm! I'll be nicer mods, I solemnly promise ). No CNC machining of his arrowheads here, no sir!

Then the Brits improved things by the obvious evolutionary T&E process, and thus eventually defeated the French by their careful re-design of the longbow, whose extended range far exceeded that of the French stuff.

A living organism's internal structures are quite simply the result of a long-time biological Evolution that optimizes the abilities necessary for their survival. Simple as that!

The recent wonder tool of DNA mapping, with it's precise and inarguable abilities, shows us, in exacting detail, all those gradual progressions from earlier lesser abilities on through various step-wise improvements, up to & including whatever the current state of the art is (and you can no longer deny these proofs, btw.).

Previously, we had some morphological comparative anatomy measurements and simple bioassay, X-Rays and modern dating techniques, plus other methods that still gave us some pretty clear pictures, but now, it's essentially inarguable.

We do not in fact see perfection in living organism designs, only basic competence & functionality, not even that good in some cases. Well known ones at that! An ID God, who is confidently trotted out as having single-handedly provided all of the most awesome design solutions, simultaneously, has not achieved that goal at all, ever. Big time EPIC FAIL, actually.

PS: complexity does not require a designer simply because you fail to understand these very complex solutions, wilson.

You, along with Winstead, demand kindergarten-level explanations if Evolution is to be proved. Both of you apparently want to enjoy basking in simplistic non-technical explanations.

Well; I'd ask Winny up there if he also expects NASA, for example, to explain to him the Mars Explorer landing algorithm (an algorithm is not a has-been VP dance pattern, by the way...) in a few simple mono-syllabic sentences.

Similarly, life's biochemistry is in fact, now officially a hugely complex and intricate world. Even so-called simple enzyme interactions are, at present, poorly understood, but we don't let silly old superstitions get in the way of relentless progress, thankfully. and get this: we almost always see earlier versions of them, less capable and rather easily improved on, whenever we carefully study the genomes of the "lesser beasts" (Yikes! There it is again; such disabling condescension!)

Is there nowhere in this lollipop world for a more thorough and complex understanding of how things really work? Maybe not: the seething hordes, the vast hoi polloi, are massing in the streets of SimpleTown and Upper Rote-Chantenburg to co-chant together, to fend our obvious logic off or to welcome (i.e.: whimperingly pray for, "oh please oh please???") their hugely hoped-for End Times scenario...

Ha ha; are you guys ever in for a very big surprise!

Well, then OK... If neither of you boys can accept the truth or these obvious explanations, (too gibber-gabber complex and too many words...) then you are both completely free to go back to the kindergarten home room for afternoon cookies and milk.

The bluebirds made and delivered them just for you! Didn't you know?

As regards your requirements for explanatory simplicity, I can see Mozart's conundrum when faced with a court full of simpletons, musically speaking. Still, the overall metaphor holds here... watch & be amused...

Too Many Notes!.wmv - YouTube

Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,658,495 times
Well well well, what a highly sarcastic and informative post Rifleman! All I have to add to that is this:

Falco - Rock Me Amadeus - YouTube

Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM

646 posts, read 636,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
This argument is only a fit the evidence since DNA and genetics understanding has been around.

You lot keep making this assertion w/o a shred of evidence. You demand to see evolution in your lifetime and expect to see a crocoduck, claim no one was there to witness the BB etc. yet you come out and emphatically claim that the originals were perfect.

Do you not see the irony in your assertions?

Genetic engineering may be an option for my great grandkids to suppress this defective gene but of course the cutting edge science in this regard is stem cell research which you woos are so up in arms about.

It is pointless discussing genetics and/or evolution with creationists as you all have no scientific acumen whatsoever.

As for the rest of your blather, it is just special pleading as to why jesus lied when he allegedly stated that anything we ask for in his name, he will do it.

Your jehovah is as real as a three dollar note.
Why don't you try responding to Post # 106 - this thread?
The shooter never even got close.

Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality